Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

T5HO Information

Weetabix7

• 1 month later...

OK. Seriously thinking of going all T5s or maybe T5s as mains with LED supplement but for now my question is short and sweet.

I have a Mr Aqua 7.5 Bowfront dimensions 18" wide---9,5" front to back---10" deep and plan to hang a light fixture.

What would be a good quality fixture for this size tank (brand, how many bulbs, etc

What quality bulbs to use to achieve an equivalent of 18 to 20k.

I have not used fluorescents at all since my freshwater days but love the tanks i've seen with them in LFS's so i need all the help and suggestions i can get.

ADD ON....I will have mostly Zoas, Softies, LPS, and some SPS.

jedimasterben

T5HO realistically start at 24" unless you count the extremely hard to find UVL bulbs that I wouldn't plan on seeing much of in the future, so anything you pick won't really look great since it'll hang over the sides by 3-4". That being said, two bulbs are what you'd need, but that color temperature range will be difficult to get with only two in the mix. Purple Plus mixed with Blue Plus will get a higher color temperature than with Coral Plus instead, but will obviously be a bit more purple in appearance.

• 4 weeks later...

I could really use some help here guys. I have to change my PS hybrid, and i'm considering going full T5. But how many tubes would i need?

Tank is 34"x 34"x 16". Rock work might be around 28x28 inches and lots of free space in the front for LPS. I wan't to be able to keep SPS at 10-12 inches depth.

How many bulbs would you recommend? 8-12? And what size, 24w or 39w? The 39w is a tad too long, but i can make it fit with my canopy.

I could really use some help here guys. I have to change my PS hybrid, and i'm considering going full T5. But how many tubes would i need?

Tank is 34"x 34"x 16". Rock work might be around 28x28 inches and lots of free space in the front for LPS. I wan't to be able to keep SPS at 10-12 inches depth.

How many bulbs would you recommend? 8-12? And what size, 24w or 39w? The 39w is a tad too long, but i can make it fit with my canopy.

24w for sure. 8 bulbs minimum, 12 would be ideal.

24w for sure. 8 bulbs minimum, 12 would be ideal.

So the spread from 24w should be enough to handle some z's/p's and low light LPS at the 5" on each side?

So the spread from 24w should be enough to handle some z's/p's and low light LPS at the 5" on each side?

Definitely, the problem is covering that 34" from front to back.

• 2 months later...

I'm doing a temporary grow out until I order my lights I was able to get a t5 fixture with wavepoint bulbs, and I believe it comes with an advance ballast for $30. I am an LED guy, but for this price I couldn't turn it down for temporary use. I was going to hang it from my roof but I was not sure how good it would work and how high above the tank I should put it with the tank being 18 inches deep.

I run blue plus in combo with Phoenix 14khalides and the the blue plus are noticeable when they are turned on. The blue plus blend well so I would do a coral and blue plus combo.

I was planning on getting a DIY 2 bulb T5 retrofit, and I was told today by someone who works at my LFS that a 2 t5 bulb retrofit fixture will not be enough for an 18" deep tank with LPS on the sand bed. What do you guys think?

Yeah that's why I asked if it was. I have a 2 bulb T5 retrofit I'm picking up tomorrow as a temp light, but someone at my LFS told me it wouldn't work on an 18" deep tank with my LPS in my sand bed. So I'm asking for a second opinion what do you think?