5 replies to this topic

Codeman

Codeman

REEFERS....

• Members
  • 1,200 posts
  • Joined 11 Oct 2008
  • Hanson, MA

In my new sump I am going to be turning my middle chamber into a refugium with live rock rubble, chaeto, possibly a couple mangroves, etc.

I was wondering what I should use for substrate?

Live sand, plain marine sand or some kind of mineral mud or bio sediment designed for fuges? Does it really make that big a difference?

Thanks!
> 45 Cube <--- Check it

Posted Image

clownfish1124

clownfish1124

What'choo looking at foo?

• Members
  • 2,103 posts
  • Joined 16 May 2008
lots of people use marine mud but idk, never had a fuge.

er1c_the_reefer

er1c_the_reefer

murse in training

• Members
  • 4,152 posts
  • Joined 03 Nov 2005
i personally like a mixed grade substrate. i don't like anything too fine. caribsea special grade is what comes to mind.
are we done yet?

i hate people too. that's why i'm going into nursing.

glennr1978

glennr1978

one proud dad!

• Members
  • 11,896 posts
  • Joined 30 Nov 2006

In my new sump I am going to be turning my middle chamber into a refugium with live rock rubble, chaeto, possibly a couple mangroves, etc.

I was wondering what I should use for substrate?

Live sand, plain marine sand or some kind of mineral mud or bio sediment designed for fuges? Does it really make that big a difference?

Thanks!

If I were you I would run it BB with just the chaeto. IME LR rubble isn't all that beneficial unless you don't have a whole lot of rock in your display. Again, IME, LR rubble in a fuge actually does more harm than good. You want very slow water flow through your fuge and all that rubble is an excellent trap for detritus. When I moved my tank a few months ago I installed a new sump / fuge and took out all the LR rubble I was using before. The coloring I'm getting out of my corals now is FAR BETTER than it was before. Also, my water is CRYSTAL clear now, there are a few guys on here that will vouch for that.

Codeman

Codeman

REEFERS....

• Members
  • 1,200 posts
  • Joined 11 Oct 2008
  • Hanson, MA

If I were you I would run it BB with just the chaeto. IME LR rubble isn't all that beneficial unless you don't have a whole lot of rock in your display. Again, IME, LR rubble in a fuge actually does more harm than good. You want very slow water flow through your fuge and all that rubble is an excellent trap for detritus. When I moved my tank a few months ago I installed a new sump / fuge and took out all the LR rubble I was using before. The coloring I'm getting out of my corals now is FAR BETTER than it was before. Also, my water is CRYSTAL clear now, there are a few guys on here that will vouch for that.

Alrighty, I might do that.

It's right in my budget, too :lol:
> 45 Cube <--- Check it

Posted Image

PBUEHH

PBUEHH

Dare To Understand

• Members
  • 1,722 posts
  • Joined 31 Mar 2008
  • nesting in burt reynolds' chest hair
mangroves aren't the greatest way to export nutrients either, compared to cheato, it grows to slow and doesn't have the surface area to extract what we need out of our tanks. They are great looking but don't do what people set 'fuges up for.

They also prefer brackish water vs strait marine.

lol at wolf hi5ing after jimbo booshed a post that OC made regarding babyham calling wolf an attention whore.
irony and delusion all rolled into one. epic.

STD Alumni
Teh Hidden Text Cult Is Watching You.