Cultivated Reef

November 2008 - El Fabuloso

Christopher Marks

Christopher Marks

For November we're featuring @el fabuloso and his 3 gallon pico reef!

featuredreef.jpg

Click the picture above to check out his reef profile! You can find El Fabuloso's tank journal here in our Members Aquariums forum. Feel free to post any comments or questions you may have for El Fabuloso, and he'll try his best to answer them.

Thanks guys! I think I'm still shocked that they would pick the noob with the pico for TOTM. It's a real honor and am flattered to be featured on this wonderful site.

clownfish1124—yes, I noticed the typo. :happy:

Congrats Fab! I was thinking about setting up a second tank for a long time and your pico was what put me over the edge. Enjoy your well deserved time in the limelight my friend.

Thanks for all the compliments!

Congrats Fab! I was thinking about setting up a second tank for a long time and your pico was what put me over the edge. Enjoy your well deserved time in the limelight my friend.

That's funny because your tank was one of the ones that inspired me when I first started browsing through this forum. :happy:

Just wanted to know how you acclimate your corals in such a small tank. Great Job-Congrats

I get all my corals locally so I typically just float the bag and add/remove water over a 45-minute period. Sometimes less if I'm impatient or in a hurry. lol

Fantastic PICO. I noticed in your TOTM piece you said you regretted not painting the back black. I recently heard James Fathery speak on lighting (it was the same talk he gave at MACNA). He showed submerged detector data for numerous different lighting schemes. He also tested light values in various tank setups. His findings were that a major amount of the total light comes from reflection back into the tank from both the inner surface and the outer surface of the glass. By painting the outside you wreck that reflection and lose SIGNIFICANT (I mean like 35%) of youtr light. If you don't believe me think about how bright the inside is, but light isn't pouring out through the sides.

He suggested using a piece of colored backdrop. Even taped onto the tank it prevents the lost reflection.

A tiny bit of added potential for cleaning and maintenance, but you could retrofit that.

BTW, I am very impressed with this. I ran a pico for a while and it became too much of a mess and I eventually moved everybody into the regular tank. I'm inspired to try it again some day.

Mitch

Is that right? I'm so glad you shared that I guess I don't feel too bad after all. I was looking at it strictly on aesthetics but I guess it makes perfect sense. I don't like the way colored backdrops look especially when salt creep starts forming under it so I'm fine with it just the way it is.

You should definitely start a pico again. Be sure to keep sexy shrimps. ;)

Archived