Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

EASY fix for the ryobi intermediate router table factory flaws....

The Propagator

The Propagator

That combo table/router I bought turned into a turd real quick !

Sooo I took'er back promptly last night. Exchanged it even Steven for this one which did not come with a router :

Ryobi intermediate table MFG Model # : A25RT02 :

ryobiroutertable.jpg

Now for any one looking to buy a cheap table and make it work like an expensive table here ya go..

Flaws:

The insert plate the router mounts to is roughly 1/8th inch LOWER then the laminate. At 1st I was like "FRUCK ! ANOTHER TURD !" Then I thought abut it for a minute and I broke out the pop rivet box and use some 1/8th inch rivet washers under the insert and VIOLA flush ! :D

Its got the same GHETTO BUTT injection molded plastic fence and single knob shim though. I checked it for true, flush and 90's. Of course.. it was off. So I took the fence apart and lightly blocked sanded the high spots. Put it back together and now it was a nice perpendicular 90 degrees all across. Then I ran my straight edge ( used it here and there checking every so often while I block sanded the bottom of the fence to BTW ) across the sub fences from right to left light the work piece would travel to check for taper, and or wavy spots. Wouldn't you know it the out feed sub-fence stuck out just enough to stop the straight edge from passing by 1/64th of an inch. Sooo I took the fence back off and apart again. This time I sanded down all the high points on the fence where the sub fence on the out feed side attaches and checked it with my straight edge again for square, then put it back together and ran my straight edge form right to left again. VIOLA ! perfectly straight and a nice smooth glide across like it is supposed to be ( HEAR THAT RYOBI ? IT SUPPOSED TO GLIDE ACROSS EVENLY JERKS !! :P )

I think I could make a fence with no problems out of hard wood and use the stock knobs, washers, and carriage bolts IF it presents its self to be a problem in the future. Its just the machinist in me that looks for minute stuff that normal folks wouldn't worry about with wood but I like true cuts, and perfect 90's ya know ! :lol: But seriously though that 1/64th of an inch would probably translate to 1/4" worth of taper from end to end over a 2.5 - 3 foot board.

So then I ran a nice true and flat piece of wood across the entire table. Just running it all over checking for high spots. I three places on the edges of the table it go hung up on a couple tiny high spots on the rubber edging surrounding the edge of the table. So I broke out the razor knife and shaved them down. ( you cant even tell I did ). Now its all gravy. Glides smooth all over and the fences are near perfect.

So even though all that sounds like a pain in the rump it was extremely easy to do, and doing it turns this table into a REALLY nice table for $99.00 ! ( what it shapes it up to be is basically the equivalent to a $250- $300 router table. so its worth doing ! ;) )

I'll post pick of exactly what and where I sanded later this evening.

For now though here is how low the plate sat before the washers were added :

stock18thlow.jpg

Washer placement:

washerposition.jpg

Very close to flush fit afterward : ( be careful not to over snug the screws or it will draw up the sides and pop them up a hair. Just snug is fine and the head of the screw fits perfectly recessed and out of the way )

setflushwithwashers.jpg

setflush.jpg

More to come......

( Still working on the trim router table too. I am to far in to give up on t even though I have a new table now :lol:)

The Propagator

:D

Wait until you see this damn coffee table I am making the monster-in-law !

You really will be calling me the man if this bugger pans out !

This thing is going to be sweet !

I am thinking of doing some nice dark inlays over birds eye maple, a lift top with storage, 3 drawers under that, then open space and a floor. Hand made legs, and some sort of round over or maybe OG edge.

Then a light coat of cherry stain, and heavy poly.

The Propagator

I wouldn't call it trash but it definitely isn't top of the line :lol:

Now the router/table combo....THAT WAS TRASH. ;)

The Propagator

Well looks like the coffee table project just got turned in to a kitchen table.

She got wind of the coffee table and said she would rather have a kitchen table.

That will have to wait until I get my table saw here in a week or two.

But I WILL eventually be making that coffee table for my self though :P

Hell I already made a life size blueprint of it on poster board just to see if what I wanted would all fit and look right before I cut and built it. I put to many hours in that bastage already to just give up on it.

( Don't think I won't be calling you for advice Gary :haha: )

You know what my advice would be... Go to Value City Furniture, they probably have them on sale!

Just kidding! I enjoy building things as well. I just dont get to do it as much as I use to or would like to. Its deer season right now so that is all I have in mind.

Ahh tis' the season to rub stinky buck urine on your body and walk around in the woods !

:P

Those are words of a man that does not hunt!

Tis the season to put doe urine on the ground and sit in a tree stand.

The Propagator
Those are words of a SMART man that does not hunt!

Tis the season to put doe urine on the ground and sit in a tree stand.

Why thank you ! Thank you very much ! :P

Hey prop, in your pics what are those holes next to the screws in the insert plate? They don't happen to be adjuster screws? The insert in my Bosch table was low too but it had had adjuster/set screws to move the insert higher or lower.

Hey prop, in your pics what are those holes next to the screws in the insert plate? They don't happen to be adjuster screws? The insert in my Bosch table was low too but it had had adjuster/set screws to move the insert higher or lower.

Thats exactly what they are. I did not want to ruin his party therefore I did not say anything. Now that its in the open..... Prop, all you had to do was loosen the phillips head screw, screw in the allen head screws until the plate was level and then tighten the phillips head screws.

What a douche!!

I have one of similar size I got from HD, can't remember the brand, but it was around $40, all black with yellow accents (& plastic fence pieces) with a 1" thick black painted MDF top.

Wasn't bad, but screwed on some hardwood pieces onto the fence, built a better slide.

Wanna make a new DIY one out of some 1" MDF (the melamine coated stuff). Might use the legs & power switch unit from my current one.

The Propagator
Thats exactly what they are. I did not want to ruin his party therefore I did not say anything. Now that its in the open..... Prop, all you had to do was loosen the phillips head screw, screw in the allen head screws until the plate was level and then tighten the phillips head screws.

What a douche!!

They are plastic.

They back off if you sneeze on them ( literally if you start the router and rely on those screws you wont make it one inch into the work piece before they back off and ruin your cut. I would not trust ANY plate with set screw levelers personally for the same reason. look at any after market high quality plate set. Nope thats right no adjuster screws ;) ) AND they provide ZERO support exactly 1/2 inch away from them. If I loosen the phillips head screws and tighten down the allen heads I then have a wavy plate because its crap to but all I have to work with until I make another plate from polycarbonate.

HENCE THE WASHERS. They take up the space so it can't flex and keep the plate flush. The die cut side has just enough burr on them to hold them in place when you place the burr side down on the washers. There fore no crap azz adjusting screws need be used.

Now I know why you walk around the job site all day instead of working on the job all day ya uncle fester look'n douche.

( have some turtle wax left over from this summer if you need it for that head of yours ? :D )

They are plastic.

They back off if you sneeze on them ( literally if you start the router and rely on those screws you wont make it one inch into the work piece before they back off and ruin your cut. I would not trust ANY plate with set screw levelers personally for the same reason. look at any after market high quality plate set. Nope thats right no adjuster screws ;) ) AND they provide ZERO support exactly 1/2 inch away from them. If I loosen the phillips head screws and tighten down the allen heads I then have a wavy plate because its crap to but all I have to work with until I make another plate from polycarbonate.

HENCE THE WASHERS. They take up the space so it can't flex and keep the plate flush. The die cut side has just enough burr on them to hold them in place when you place the burr side down on the washers. There fore no crap azz adjusting screws need be used.

Now I know why you walk around the job site all day instead of working on the job all day ya uncle fester look'n douche.

( have some turtle wax left over from this summer if you need it for that head of yours ? :D )

From what I read of that..... you are offering to wax my head??? I just see something wrong with that. You offer to wax my head online and then call me? hhhmmmmm....... LOL

Lets say that the TYPICAL router table has set screws that work. They are really plastic? I realize that Ryobi is not the top of the like tool but I think that they could afford metal set screws.

I was just giving you a hard time Jethro! Of course the washers offer more support.

You're damn skippy! I put my time in, now I just walk around on the job. It cost thehome buyers WAY too much money if I have to get my hands dirty.....

I called you back and that message is still on.

The Propagator

I know Vonage suck goat ballz !

I keep resetting it and they keep setting it back to factory eveyr FREAKING DAY ! Which is do not disturb on, call waiting on, but voice mail off. WTF good is call waiting gonna do me if I no one can get through, and WHY TF turn on do not disturb and turn off voice mail ?

Jack holes !

Yes they really are plastic. ( baldy locks ! :P )

calling you again now btw... ( 3:52 PM )

Archived