Coral Vue Hydros

Fix your Odyssea 250W Ballast for less than $15!

evilc66

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm growing coral good, just couldn't push the Reeflux's to the blue....I was hoping somebody might have known if the same thing works for them...I sure would love to be able to get it working like that...totally realistic DIY for my level of abilities, but without the knowledge of it being the same, I obviously will not be trying this!

No SeeDemTails , waiting for him to get back and tell us how it went.

SDT is not a "him"....just look at her Avatar....(but she's really cuter in person)

My soldering iron is broken, I havent used it in for ever, plus its like 50 years old, I am going to do the mod tomorrow at work, pics to come.

Ok, did the mod.

It was geting 175w max before, using the 4400 model meter. After the mod it is pushing 225, with the crappy stock bulb.

That was worth the money alone, and I bet with a new bulb it will look much better.

Okay....so I sssssoooooooooooo want to find a really cheap crappy old Odyssea ballast about now....I think I might have to open up my crappy old EVC....just to see what's in there B)

divinginjupiter

went ahead and got the Icecap ballast, and installed it today. It runs at 252 watt, and the light is so much whiter. I can see a difference in my coral already. Zenia is pulsing (it has never in my tank) and color is bursting. My advice is to spend the $100 and add the Icecap ballast to this fixture. The icecap ballast probably weighs 3 times what the Odessea ballast, and fires the bulb immediately. These results are with the stock Odessea bulb that is now 3 weeks old.

I bought the 36 inch fixture 2 weeks ago, and just applied this mod. The MH light is clearly brighter - before the tank had a very blue colour from the "actinics" - now it looks mainly white light all over. The bulb takes 5 minutes or so to get to full brightness, but looks very good now! Thanks for the upgrade info ;)

If my coral hadnt all crashed and died over the past week then I am sure that they would have appreciated the lights...

Glad it worked out for you. Is there a way that you can measure the wattage drawn by the ballast now (with something like a Kill-a-Watt meter)?

Glad it worked out for you. Is there a way that you can measure the wattage drawn by the ballast now (with something like a Kill-a-Watt meter)?

Unfortuneatly not - I don't have anything like that. I do know that it looks brighter and whiter though with the upgrade!

Archived