Cultivated Reef

coldwater aquapod? can it be done?

Kigs

I have a 1/10hp chiller just sitting around, along with an aquapod 24. Do you guys think I can convert it into a coldwater system (60 ~ 70F) ?

The reason I ask is because I read somewhere that a coldwater tank needs thick glass, but wasn't sure if Aquapod could handle it. Any help would be appreciated.

I think it would be fine as far as condensation on all but the hottest days. I live in the desert, but I can keep an AGA 10g at sixty degrees with no condensation until the humidity gets above 70%.

As for the chiller, I'm not sure a 1/10hp would be adequate to chill 24g down to about 60 degrees unless the tank were extremely well insulated, but that sets up another dilemma because of the shape of the tank.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...fm?pcatid=13113

it says temperature range 60 ~ 80f. care to elaborate?

1/10 1,485 1/2" & 5/8" 300/720 70 gallons 60-80°F

it may simply not have the power to do it. It's exponentially more work to cool a tank 15* below ambient than the normal couple of degrees down (yet still above ambient temps) that the chiller is actually rated for.

The temp range likely only refers to the range that the temp controller can register.

I had my 1/10hp on a 10g tank and it cycled every 15 minutes - I'd say that was the most I would ask that chiller to perform for me. Smaller chillers just aren't made for a large temperature pulldown the way larger (read: commercial) chillers are.

Since most people are only looking for a few degrees of pull-down, the size they list is the size recommended for a tropical tank.

Thank you for the help guys, I understand now.

Besides the high electrical cost, is frequent cycling physically bad for the chiller?

More work means more chance for the chiller to break and leave you without cold water. Also, more cycling means more heat pumped into the room and more noise (which can be significant with some chillers).

I have a 1/10 hp Pacific Coast imports chiller fo my 15 gal, and it can keep it down to 55, but it cycles at least every ten minutes at that temp. I keep my tank at sixty, and it cycles around every 20 minutes.

Mynameskenny19

Hey guys, can you still use the chiller, but add a fan to the tank for more cooling? The salt doesn't evaporate, so just get an ATO for the tank. Wouldn't that subtract a few degrees too? And a small 6" fan would be good too, both on temp control and energy bill too.

Just a suggestion...

I hate to say it, but Jeremai is 100% correct Kigs. That size chiller would be maxed out on a 24!!!!! I know it's tempting to try and use it, but once you throw in some lighting and a power head or two....you're going to raise the tank a few degrees and make it work even harder.

I am running a JBJ titanium 1/10 http://www.jbjlighting.com/prod_chiller.html

My tank maintains a comfortable 58degrees +/- 1

It comes on approximately twice an hour for about 10-15min. This depends on the time of day and time of year. I live in sunny So Cal and the temps are usually above 60-70 and get up around 90 in the summer. So my tank works harder then those in a cooler enviornment.

My suggestion is........ sell the mini chiller you have and put the money towards a more efficient unit. Do it right. The worst thing you can ever have happen in a coldwater tank, is to have your chiller fail!!!!. I hope all of you have lot's of frozen water bottles in your freezer for that dreadful day.

Mynameskenny19

ooooh, we have 8 frozen 3 liter bottles of salt water. had to get them REALLY COLD to freeze the salt too! that way we can have cooler temps, longer when it gets too hot.

How much would it help to super insulate your tank on the sides, back and bottom? Would it help or would you be sealing the heat from the light in? Sounds like a really interesting and challenging design problem to solve.

Thank you for the help guys - I'm going to try it out on Thursday and see the results for myself. My house temp. stays around 71F.

I was wondering - how do you cycle a coldwater tank? same as regular reef? add LR / LS?

How much would it help to super insulate your tank on the sides, back and bottom? Would it help or would you be sealing the heat from the light in? Sounds like a really interesting and challenging design problem to solve.

My first coldwater tank was insulated and it made a huge difference over an uninsulated tank, ime. Adin and dshnarw have insulated tanks as well. Insulating an AP24 could prove interesting (ie, ugly) given the shape of the tank.

Archived