Top Shelf Aquatics

Lani's random photos

Lalani

so basically its like hit and miss? just keep taking pictures and hopefully in that 10 seconds lightning hits? or you actually know a lightning is coming and you got ready for it?

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so basically its like hit and miss? just keep taking pictures and hopefully in that 10 seconds lightning hits? or you actually know a lightning is coming and you got ready for it?

I usually wait for the storms where there are lightning strikes every few seconds. This time, there were a lot, so the time should have actually been cut down to around 5 seconds. The clouds were moving, so with every lighting bolt, the camera picked up the clouds in a different spot, which bothers the heck out of me. But yeah, basically leave the shutter open and hope the lightning flashes. :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

With the recent talk of using 50mm lenses.. and after browsing Kinetic's flickr gallery, I decided to break out the nifty fifty and take a few random shots. Just playing around.

Canon Digital Rebel XT w/50mm f1.8 II

IMG_6301.jpg

IMG_6309.jpg

IMG_6344.jpg

IMG_6348_1.jpg

IMG_6350.jpg

IMG_6361.jpg

IMG_6366.jpg

IMG_6371.jpg

coralreefaquarist

usually i just take aquarium pics but when i saw this little guy in the backyard i ran for the camera

spider.jpg

Was going to ask bout the lightning pics but disaster beat me to it-- like whether you were using a sloooow shutter speed or taking a bunch of pictures/ continuous shooting. Have you tried the latter? I read a pretty good article on a guy who would chase storms and hold the shoot button down on the continuous shooting mode and later sort through the hundreds of shots for the 10 good ones. He was saying how it was really tedious but generally paid off because really long exposures get funky with lighting and noise and what not-- not that yours look bad, but in general.

When I first tried lightning shots, I did try taking them without using long exposures. I would set my Fuji S602z (or Nikon 8700, can't remember which one at the time) to continuous shot and snap away. I was able to catch a couple of lightening shots, but nothing noteworthy.

When I finally bought the XT, I set the sucker up on a tripod, turned on noise reduction, and set it to, usually, 30 second exposures. With a low ISO of 100 and noise reduction, noise is not a problem. :)

Just find a dark area, without a bunch of street lights... use low ISO and noise reduction, and you're set!

Yeah, I definitely hope to get some experience with this. Unfortunately where I live, there is a ton of light pollution, even more so around my house because our property touches that of an elem school with lighted fields/ parking lots. What I really want to do someday is get some solid lightning shots, like yours, and also the milky way.

At any rate, your technique and perseverance is inspiring :)

addicted2reefer

Lalani, very impressive photos, awesome sky photos. ya dont have any of dem LA swamps? i bet there is alot of critters around there. been to baton rouge and french quarter, was there for marti gras so i dint get to see all the nature part of Louisana, but it was still a fun time.

Not sure if she could get any pictures of the critters in the swamps. I hear that most are terrified of swamp rats like Lani. :P

:flower:

Yeah, I definitely hope to get some experience with this. Unfortunately where I live, there is a ton of light pollution, even more so around my house because our property touches that of an elem school with lighted fields/ parking lots. What I really want to do someday is get some solid lightning shots, like yours, and also the milky way.

At any rate, your technique and perseverance is inspiring :)

Just try it with what you have, and work from there!

And thanks. :)

Lalani, very impressive photos, awesome sky photos. ya dont have any of dem LA swamps? i bet there is alot of critters around there. been to baton rouge and french quarter, was there for marti gras so i dint get to see all the nature part of Louisana, but it was still a fun time.

Ya, I posted a few swamp shots, but they're in a few different threads.. Glad you have fun during that trip. It's an interesting place. :D

Not sure if she could get any pictures of the critters in the swamps. I hear that most are terrified of swamp rats like Lani. :P

:flower:

Oh har har.

photo request - gator eating something action shot

:o

Then I have a photo request for you - Anything! :P

Decided to do something nice for mom yesterday and I invited her along for a photo trip around the local area. I made her bring her cam (my old Fuji) and we found a few abandoned houses. I think she enjoyed it, and she wants to go on more trips like that. I'll post the pics here or on another thread..

• 2 weeks later...
HecticDialectics

I like 6 and 8... 6 because it looks like a beer bottle... and 8 because there is a very distinctive smilie face on the left little spire

Archived