SaltCritters.com

Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef

Nano sapiens

Well, it's very common for a female's first brood to be weak. Assuning that nothing bad happens to them, then they should have many more batches and hopefully stronger fry.

Oh...I hope so fingerscrossed. I seriously want to try my hand at raising them one day. Unfortunately that means more tanks and that holds me back right now. I'm definitely not in the frame of mind to do that right now.
  • Like 1
Nano sapiens

'Splurged':

Two Peterson's Anemone Shrinps added and they are pretty mellow. Had also ordered another Venus Anemone Shrimp, but unfortunately it arrived DOA.

Pedersons%20Anemone%20Shrimp_082016_zpsh

An upset Captian America Paly (on the right). I accidently pressed on it with my finger while glueing it down and it spilled some of its insides...

Captain%20America%20Play_082016_zpsts6sk

...and the only corals in the tank that had a problem with this are the downstream Rhodactis:

Upset%20Rhodactis_082016_zpsta4md8kv.jpg:

This is one Paly that I will be extra careful with in the future...

• Like 6
jedimasterben

Very interesting you have some shriveling in the downstream corals. I've squished plenty of palys, even some grandis palys this last time, and have never seen that. But I've always had larger water volumes and always run carbon (and usually Purigen, too). One of many reasons this hobby is fascinating. :)

Nano sapiens

Very interesting you have some shriveling in the downstream corals. I've squished plenty of palys, even some grandis palys this last time, and have never seen that. But I've always had larger water volumes and always run carbon (and usually Purigen, too). One of many reasons this hobby is fascinating. :)

...and the Ricordia showed no reaction whatsoever (the photo shows a neon-green Ric in the background only 1" away). Could be that this particular Protopaly discharges a substance that Rhodactis are sensitive to. At any rate, I certainly won't put them in close proximity.

• Like 1

Awesome...I love those pedersons! They are never long lived for me. Not sure if it's just that they have a short life-span or what???? But they are such a neat critter :).

Nano sapiens

Awesome...I love those pedersons! They are never long lived for me. Not sure if it's just that they have a short life-span or what???? But they are such a neat critter :).

Part of the reason for that might be that they are usually collected as adults, so we have no way of knowing just how old they are when acquired.

If they make 1 year I'll be happy :)

• Like 1

Part of the reason for that might be that they are usually collected as adults, so we have no way of knowing just how old they are when acquired.

If they make 1 year I'll be happy :)

True..didn't think of that. Well in the time they are with us, they are fun to have :).

• Like 1
Nano sapiens

True..didn't think of that. Well in the time they are with us, they are fun to have :).

I couldn't agree more, but they do need to be in a smaller tank to really be appreciated.

I've been watching the interplay between the Venus and Pedersons and it's quite entertaining. The little Venus is a thug and a territory hog as she is reluctant to let either of the other two into the huge (by anemone shrimp standards) Ric garden. These two species would never meet in nature and it'll be interesting to see if they come to terms over time.

• Like 3
Nano sapiens

Love the new photos. Good use of the splurge.

Thank you. Luckily, I don't splurge often as there is only so much I can add to an already crowded 12g :)

• Like 1

I couldn't agree more, but they do need to be in a smaller tank to really be appreciated.

I've been watching the interplay between the Venus and Pedersons and it's quite entertaining. The little Venus is a thug and a territory hog as she is reluctant to let either of the other two into the huge (by anemone shrimp standards) Ric garden. These two species would never meet in nature and it'll be interesting to see if they come to terms over time.

I'm not sure why but this cracks me up. Something about how the ric garden looks to an anemone shrimp :)
  • 1 month later...

Quarterly Update:

Due to a family emergency, I had to leave this tank for 4 weeks with feeding and maintenance for just one day out of each week.

Happily, the tank survived this partial neglect with the corals and fish/inverts looking just fine. However, there was just one fatality, namely, the little crinoid squat lobster (perhaps his molting didn't go well or maybe he was just at the end of his lifespan). As I've experienced previously, the reduced water changes caused the corals to grow quite a bit faster than usual...especially the multiple Seriatopora and Montipora species (time to break out the cutter...).

• Like 3
pappadumplingz

Quarterly Update:

Due to a family emergency, I had to leave this tank for 4 months with feeding and maintenance for just one day out of each week.

Happily, the tank survived this partial neglect with the corals and fish/inverts looking just fine. However, ther was just one fatality, namely, the little crinoid squat lobster (perhaps his molting didn't go well or maybe he was just at the end of his lifespan). As I've experienced previously, the reduced water changes caused the corals to grow quite a bit faster than usual...especially the multiple Seriatopora and Montipora species (time to break out the cutter...).

Sorry to hear about the squat lobster. Maybe the reduced water changes elevated nitrogen compounds in the water, which allowed for better tissue and skeleton growth?

jedimasterben

Quarterly Update:

Due to a family emergency, I had to leave this tank for 4 months with feeding and maintenance for just one day out of each week.

Happily, the tank survived this partial neglect with the corals and fish/inverts looking just fine. However, ther was just one fatality, namely, the little crinoid squat lobster (perhaps his molting didn't go well or maybe he was just at the end of his lifespan). As I've experienced previously, the reduced water changes caused the corals to grow quite a bit faster than usual...especially the multiple Seriatopora and Montipora species (time to break out the cutter...).

Hope everything with the family is alright now! Glad to see you back and the tank no worse for wear :)

Sorry to hear about the squat lobster. Maybe the reduced water changes elevated nitrogen compounds in the water, which allowed for better tissue and skeleton growth?

Really hard to say sometimes. Impossible to know how old these inverts are when put in our tanks (unless they are juveniles to begin with). Other inverts, like the Anemone Shrimp, are perfectly fine.

Hope everything with the family is alright now! Glad to see you back and the tank no worse for wear :)

Thanks. Surprisingly robust little system, that's for sure.

Glad the tank is ok, and I hope the family emergency resolved itself.

Thanks.

• Like 2

Nano, I am glad that everything is settled with the family emergency and that the tank weathered your absence. It just shows the stability of a mature system, even a small one. Welcome back!

Nano, I am glad that everything is settled with the family emergency and that the tank weathered your absence. It just shows the stability of a mature system, even a small one. Welcome back!

Thank you. I have found that as long as the pump, heater and lighting keep working correctly, as well as an acceptable supplementation of calcium and alkalinity (especially), a mature system can go largely unattended for relatively long periods of time with just minimal water changes.

Just for fun I went through and tested parameters before my water change/clean up this morning:

Ca: 410

Alk: 9.3

Mg: 1300

NO3: 0

pH: 8.4

Temp: 77

* Don't test for PO4

Not too shabby for being neglected for a month :)

• Like 4

I'm glad your family situation is ok now! Your tank is so mature and robust - but I'll miss the squat lobster :(

Thanks. Yes, the little SL was a real character. I'll miss the 'flailing claws' show he put on every day at feeding time.

Next spring I might have to restock a bit, so that'll be a good time to look for another one :)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

...more updates:

Fragged my 6 year old Vivid Northern Lights Granulosa. Most dense coral skelton that I have yet encountered...totally solid!:

A_Granulosa%20NL%20Cut_102216_zpsd9suy5y

...and the somewhat mangled little 'fraglet':

A_Granulosa%20NL%20Frag_102216_zpsr2lvpx

And just because these low-hanging Sunny D's were looking so spiffy today:

Very%20Colorful%20Sunny%20D_110116_zpssj

• Like 6

Those sunny d's look great! I got some a while back and they are among my favorite zoas.

Yeah, they are real nice and the wife's favorite (spousal approval, very important!) :)

• Like 2
  • Nano sapiens changed the title to Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef
  • Christopher Marks locked this topic
  • Christopher Marks unlocked this topic