Cultivated Reef

Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef

Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

Love the squat lobs so much :wub: btw are those petroglyphs?

The 'Squaties' are endearing...when they decide to show themselves :rolleyes:

Yup. they are Petroglyphs, but rather abnormally large at a bit more than 1" across :)

• Like 3
Nano sapiens

Yay, looks like coral reproduction!

For the last 2-3 months or so I've been seeing conical protrusions coming from a Pavona maldivensis' polyps' every so often. Sometimes, there are up to a dozen, sometimes just 2 or 3 like today. I had some time today to look online for collaboration of what I suspected, reproduction.

P. maldivensis polyps are not large, so please excuse the less than perfect image (single polyp, tan colored conical structure with striations):

Pavona%20Madivensis%20Conical%20Protrusi

Here is a closeup of an Acropora (not mine) with the same identical structures (just more colorful and a lot more of them):

Acorpora%20Sperm%20amp%20Egg%20Prior%20t

(Photo credit to AIMS)

From what I have read, mass coral spawning in the wild often occurs around a week after a full moon. Our last full moon was May 21st, so timing is about right...if this coral follows the pattern. Some corals can spawn many times throughout the year, so that may be why I'm seeing these structures on a roughly monthly basis. May also be that the summer 2-3 degree warmer tank temps are triggering the events.

The structure right now is flattened and disappearing, so I missed the egg (planulae?) release due to a wonderful homecooked meal. If this release is a regular occurance, then I should see this again in about a month. Next time, I hope to capture the release on video.

• Like 7
Deleted User 9

Peace Nano sapiens.

Great pics!! Also, fortunate to have been able to capture these moments!! Great feeling and accomplishment. I remember capturing my Stylophora spawning 2 years ago in Maritza The Vase Reef, between 1 and 3 am, and I was so grateful to be there and capture that moment on my phone cam.

Thanks for sharing with all, and documenting these wonderful and informative moments.

Miuch Success and Happiness, All.

Blessings All.

• Like 1
Nano sapiens

Peace Nano sapiens.

Great pics!! Also, fortunate to have been able to capture these moments!! Great feeling and accomplishment. I remember capturing my Stylophora spawning 2 years ago in Maritza The Vase Reef, between 1 and 3 am, and I was so grateful to be there and capture that moment on my phone cam.

Thanks for sharing with all, and documenting these wonderful and informative moments.

Miuch Success and Happiness, All.

Blessings All.

Thanks, Maritza. Nice to see your Stylo had reproduced. Did they have polyp bailout or actual eggs/sperm release?

I haven't run into an aquarium account of P. maldvensis reproducing in the aquarium, yet. Time will tell if any planulae settle and grow.

Deleted User 9

Thanks, Maritza. Nice to see your Stylo had reproduced. Did they have polyp bailout or actual eggs/sperm release?

I haven't run into an aquarium account of P. maldvensis reproducing in the aquarium, yet. Time will tell if any planulae settle and grow.

Peace Nano sapiens.

Thanks.I haven't heard of any P.maldvensis in any Nano Reefs reproducing. Congrats for this! As per my Stylophora reproducing in Maritza The Vase Reef, Yes. First, it was the Polyps extending to a weird shape, then there was some type of cloud, probably spores, then the actual Coral Gametes. I filmed it and passed the video to Instant Ocean and they put it on their FB page.

It's so great to witness these events in such small Reefs, and in my case, a 1.25 gal.,and yours, a 12 gal. Reef. So many things that supposedly should not occur in our Nano and Pico, Vase Reefs, up to now, but have and will hopefully continue. Great news for Reef Keepers, Science and Experiences.

Blessings All.

Nano sapiens

Peace Nano sapiens.

Thanks.I haven't heard of any P.maldvensis in any Nano Reefs reproducing. Congrats for this! As per my Stylophora reproducing in Maritza The Vase Reef, Yes. First, it was the Polyps extending to a weird shape, then there was some type of cloud, probably spores, then the actual Coral Gametes. I filmed it and passed the video to Instant Ocean and they put it on their FB page.

It's so great to witness these events in such small Reefs, and in my case, a 1.25 gal.,and yours, a 12 gal. Reef. So many things that supposedly should not occur in our Nano and Pico, Vase Reefs, up to now, but have and will hopefully continue. Great news for Reef Keepers, Science and Experiences.

Blessings All.

Fantastic! Do you have the Instant Ocean FB page link to your coral spawning?

From what I was reading, corals require not only the correct conditions, but must also be of a certain size to spawn. This Maldivensis is certainly old enough since I've had it around 7 years in this tank and apparently it is big enough, too, at ~4".

Yes, I agree that boundaries are being pushed in these small tanks :)

• Like 2
Deleted User 9

Fantastic! Do you have the Instant Ocean FB page link to your coral spawning?

From what I was reading, corals require not only the correct conditions, but must also be of a certain size to spawn. This Maldivensis is certainly old enough since I've had it around 7 years in this tank and apparently it is big enough, too, at ~4".

Yes, I agree that boundaries are being pushed in these small tanks :)

Peace Nano sapiens.

Here's my FB link with the Coral Spawning, which is originally on Instant Ocean's FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009012515486

It's also on the Instant Ocean FB page, on the side under Videos.

I just added this video to my page an hour ago. I also have my Fish Bowl and Cube Reefs on that page, along with some of my rare Cichlids, Breeding Maroon Clownfish, and others. Hope to see you there.

Congratulations once again!! 7 years old!! That's AWESOME!!!!

Blessings All.

Nano sapiens

Peace Nano sapiens.

Here's my FB link with the Coral Spawning, which is originally on Instant Ocean's FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009012515486

Blessings All.

Very cool :)

Interestingly, I saw the same cone structure on my Mint Green Pavona today and three hours later it was all but gone:

Pavona%20Mint%20Green%20Cone%20Structure

I also was able to see whitish eggs being brooded in the P. maldivensis, but they are so small I couldn't get a decent pic.

I haven't seen an eggs being released, but maybe one day...

• Like 3
Deleted User 9

Peace Nano sapiens,

Thanks! I have other videos on my storage drives from this experience. I will find them and put them up soon. The gametes stuck onto the live rocks and at one point, I had tiny Stylophora's all over the Vase Reef. I managed to get some pics and videos of this. One of these days, I will locate them on these older drives and put them up again.

I've had the Scolymia shooting Spores all over the Vase Reef, and other Corals as well. I think it's the Corals way of letting us know that they're appreciating our journey and loyalty, maintaining and trying our best to learn about them, with Respect and Admiration.

So while it was once considered "impossible" even to have such tiny systems thriving successfully, today we're here continuing in our journey towards building more knowledge for Nano, Pico, and Vase Reef Keeping, and for success in all.

SeaScope will be doing a feature on Maritza The Vase Reef very soon and hopefully, this will teach others about Reef Keeping on a smaller but properly maintained scale, and our amazing journey and success with so many variety of Corals,Care, and Success.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Much appreciated and very informative.

Blessings All.

• Like 2
Nano sapiens

I've had the Scolymia shooting Spores all over the Vase Reef, and other Corals as well.

SeaScope will be doing a feature on Maritza The Vase Reef very soon...

I bet you have to perform a water change after a spawning in such a small volume of water :)

Looking forard to the Seascope feature!

• Like 1
Deleted User 9

I bet you have to perform a water change after a spawning in such a small volume of water :)

Looking forard to the Seascope feature!

Peace Nano sapiens.

Believe it or not, I didn't do any water changes immediately. I actually waited for 2 days to see what would happen. It cleared up almost immediately and I guess in the case of the Spores issue, the Corals probably ate from the cloudy soup. As per the article, hopefully it will be soon. Just going through some red tape. Soon as I get the new official link, I will post and forward to you. Thanks for the interest.

Blessings All.

Great new updates and lovely photos! I always enjoy how detailed your updates are. With your tank being so mature, its so interesting to read all your detailed observations about things that are happening. Reef tanks can be so fascinating at all stages!

• Like 1
Nano sapiens

Great new updates and lovely photos! I always enjoy how detailed your updates are. With your tank being so mature, its so interesting to read all your detailed observations about things that are happening. Reef tanks can be so fascinating at all stages!

Thank you, Felicia, and glad that you enjoy the write-ups. A small tank operating over a longer time frame offers such a wonderful, closeup opportunity to observe and record the behaviors of these remarkable reef dwelling creatures.

Stay tuned for the 8th year B'day 'humdinger' of a post around August :)

• Like 4
Nano sapiens

I was wondering if it was coming up on year 8. That's exciting!

Somehow the originally intended 5 years became 8...

However, I think the tank will be properly grown out at around 10 :)

• Like 3

Taking 'Patience is a virtue' to an extreme? :rolleyes:

Pretty much. I always get the upgrade itch because designing and putting together a new tank is one of my favorite parts of this hobby. I love the DIY element. I'm trying to be very patient with my tank right now though, but I know I won't be making it to 8 years! :lol:

• Like 1
Nano sapiens

Pretty much. I always get the upgrade itch because designing and putting together a new tank is one of my favorite parts of this hobby. I love the DIY element. I'm trying to be very patient with my tank right now though, but I know I won't be making it to 8 years! :lol:

Althought I do enjoy the occasional mini-DIY tank project, I have lots of DIY projects from my 'Hubby-Do' list. Creating more tank setups isn't even on my radar right now.

As far as a tank goes, you may find that 8 years goes by in a hurry :)

• Like 2
Nano sapiens

I'm a little late to the party but congrats on the fish fry. How often do they spawn?

This was the first spawning. The Green Banded Gobies are starting to flirt, so they may be next :)

• Like 2
Nano sapiens

Photo Update...

12g%20Right%20Angle%20PFTS_061216_zps4v1

Just noticed that the 2-Spot Blenny managed to get himself a head-on pic by perching on top of the Sunset Monti...which is slowly being overtaken by the Mint Green Pavona. C'est la vie...

Ye Olde 12g is still put-putting along with no issues to speak of. Had to snip-snip some Ric skirts today to keep light reaching all of them evenly. The Rhodactis are better at sharing the light amongst themselves than the Rics, so haven't had to touch 'em at all.

No plans for any new corals, as I've got more than enough types in there already, or any other changes. Just going to let 'er glide...slow, smooth and steady... B)

• Like 10
lilmatty5dimes

Photo Update...

12g%20Right%20Angle%20PFTS_061216_zps4v1

Just noticed that the 2-Spot Blenny managed to get himself a head-on pic by perching on top of the Sunset Monti...which is slowly being overtaken by the Mint Green Pavona. C'est la vie...

Ye Olde 12g is still put-putting along with no issues to speak of. Had to snip-snip some Ric skirts today to keep light reaching all of them evenly. The Rhodactis are better at sharing the light amongst themselves than the Rics, so haven't had to touch 'em at all.

No plans for any new corals, as I've got more than enough types in there already, or any other changes. Just going to let 'er glide...slow, smooth and steady... B)

Wow absolutely gorgeous. I love how it's all filled in together. Unfortunately I'm sure some of the corals are dying

Nano sapiens

Wow absolutely gorgeous. I love how it's all filled in together. Unfortunately I'm sure some of the corals are dying

Thanks. Only this Sunset Monti colony is in trouble, everything else is a-okay :). In eight years, I've only lost one coral species to aggression, namely a Montipora undata.

In situations like this, one can intervene and prune back the aggressor, or just let it be. Since I have another large Sunset Monti colony on a back rock, I'm letting the Pavona have it's way this time.

These interactions are completely natural occurances in nature. Interestingly, the average age of a coral colony (depending on the type) has been documented at somewhere between 4 -11 years old due to competition, predation, storms, etc.

• Like 2

Great new FTS and the little blenny looks like he's posing for the photo. The filled in look is wonderful! My tank is starting to get there and I'm really enjoying it. I'm having the attitude of letting the corals fight it out amongst themselves.

• Nano sapiens changed the title to Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef
  • Christopher Marks locked this topic
  • Christopher Marks unlocked this topic