Innovative Marine Aquariums

Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef

Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

Now when is 'happy FTS day'? After all, we need to see those new purchases. Ya know, the ones you got on 'happy LFS day'!

"Patience, Grasshopper" (and thanks for asking) :)

I made frags out of a frag, so the Stylocoeniella pieces will take a while to get 'happy' and big enough for a photo shoot. Piece was also half-bleached, so there's that, too. Micro zoas are still tiny micros, but the Rhodactis turned out to be nicer than I expected so perhaps a few shots this weekend.

FTSs I tend to do quarterly, so end of July is about right and also coinsides with the 8th year tank anniversary :)

• Like 1
Nano sapiens

Seems to be a photobucket problem, there are lots of threads messed up right now :(

Nice to know it's not just me :)

Just hope the links get reestablished. If not, wow, that'll be a lot of work trying to relink (probably just start over)...

Nice to know it's not just me :)

Just hope the links get reestablished. If not, wow, that'll be a lot of work trying to relink (probably just start over)...

:( was hoping to see some updates, hope you have been well :)

Nano sapiens

:( was hoping to see some updates, hope you have been well :)

I should have something up on the weekend if Photobucket cooperates...

I'm good, thanks for asking :)

• Like 1
Nano sapiens

Photo Updates:

GBG hamming it up:

Sm%20GBG%20Closeup_050116_zpsiyz4d3pd.jp

Fat Rhodactis cozying up. Most of these came from the $10 section at various LFSs:

Rhodactis%20Conglomeration3_050116_zpsxk

Bit of a mashed up area at the moment as I had to remove an overly ambitious 'no name' Zoa and the red encrusting 'Superhero' Montipora on the left continues to take a heavy beating from the Pavona. Should look more natural in a few months once the Pink Stylocoeniella frags in the rear grow out:

Rear%20Rock%20Right%20Side%20Conglomerat

Top-down shot of my rear rock that lost three Acan colonies and had a 4" RP Acro removed a while back. I expoxied up a good sized section of the old Acan skeleton which was trapping detritus (thus promoting algae growth) and pasted all kinds of mini frags on top (killing two birds with one stone, so to speak):

Rear%20Rock%20Conglomeration_050116_zps1

As far as the system goes, running it real clean right now which has really slowed down the invasive thread algae (almost undetectable NO3 and undectable PO4) while feeding the corals twice a week instead of everyday. Fish still get fed twice a day, though.

Lost a couple very highly colored Rhodactis over the last year or more, mostly from an online vendor and I had to wonder why when the initially 'nondescript' LFS ones did just fine. I believe these were 'over driven' to produce unnaturally high intensity pigmentation and the result was very little zooxanthellae to sustain the coral. Typically, they'd look good for a few weeks or months, then 'give up' and disappear within a few days/weeks. I wouldn't doubt that at least some of these mysterious coral deaths we see aren't necessarily from something that the hobbyist does wrong, or even problems with the tank, but rather corals that are simply pushed too far before they even reach the aquarist.

• Like 12
teenyreef

I love that last top down shot!

As my pico matures, I'm realizing that knowing when to remove or prune back corals is almost as important as getting them to grow in the first place :)

• Like 1
Nano sapiens

I love that last top down shot!

As my pico matures, I'm realizing that knowing when to remove or prune back corals is almost as important as getting them to grow in the first place :)

True, once the system is set up correctly and healthy the corals will take off. In a larger system, this is not so much of an issue (obviously), but in these small tanks it is. There are a few ways to go about it.

1. Just let everything grow and whichever organism is dominant wins.

2. Just let everything grow and prune a lot.

3. Set tank conditions to allow for good health/coloration, but slower growth.

I shoot for #3, but not all corals oblige :)

• Like 1
teenyreef

True, once the system is set up correctly and healthy the corals will take off. In a larger system, this is not so much of an issue (obviously), but in these small tanks it is. There are a few ways to go about it.

1. Just let everything grow and whichever organism is dominant wins.

2. Just let everything grow and prune a lot.

3. Set tank conditions to allow for good health/coloration, but slower growth.

I shoot for #3, but not all corals oblige :)

I'm still working on #0. But I'd like to think I'm really working on #3 :lol:

Nano sapiens

I'm still working on #0. But I'd like to think I'm really working on #3 :lol:

That's funny, but you're doing great with your nanos :)

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
Deleted User 9

Peace All.

Nano sapiens, that looks FANTASTIC!!! Well put build and reef. we greatly appreciate it.

Continue in your Success and Happiness..

Blessings All.

Nano sapiens

Peace All.

Nano sapiens, that looks FANTASTIC!!! Well put build and reef. we greatly appreciate it.

Continue in your Success and Happiness..

Blessings All.

Thank you, Maritza. Nearly 8 years on and it's still a 'work in progress'. Maybe by 10 it'll be 'mature' :)

• Like 2

Noticed around 30 small goby fry darting around at the tank's surface (most likely the Yellow Striped Cleaner Goby). First spawning that I've noticed. Fish and coral food, no doubt...

Managed to get a quick vid of a few at the surface:

http://vid230.photobucket.com/albums/ee141/Back2dubs/Yelllow%20Stiped%20Goby%20Fry_052316_zpskimkmspb.mp4

Very cool even if they are fish and coral food!
Nano sapiens

Thanks. I knew it was coming since the two have been building their nest for ages and it was a nice surprise this morning :)

Having raised all kinds of fish many, many years agao, my first instinct was to save them. But then reality sets in and I realize that I don't have live feed for them...and I'd also need another tank or two...

I was thinking that my mid rear chamber is empty and relatively calm, but I doubt that there would be enough food for one or two to survive back there. And the Mysids would likely finish off the fry in short order.

• Like 1
Red_Blenny

They are cool, but not nearly as big as they appear. I have to search to find them in my 12g as their bodies are only about 3/4" long and 1/2" wide, I think that they'd be best seen in a 5g, actually :)

A better one for your 40B would be the Red Galthea Squat Lobster as they are twice the size with much bigger front claws for defence. Also, not as shy and retiring:

RedGalatheabalssi2_zpse5765aee.jpg

How's the little guy doing? My gf saw this thread and she wants one for the tank now haha....

Nano sapiens

How's the little guy doing? My gf saw this thread and she wants one for the tank now haha....

Unfortuantely, the Red Galathea Crab disn't last long, likely due to the two Clownfish I had at the time.

However, the two little Crinoid Squat Lobsters are doing great:

SL%20on%20Ric_030616_zpsi7igm4je.jpg

• Like 3
Nano sapiens

This guy sways with the Palys once or twice a week:

Crinoid%20Squat%20Lobster%20amp%20Paly%2

He'll sit there for hours just 'shooting the current' and pretending he's on a Crinoid Feather Star. These big Paly's don't even seem to notice.

I have a cool vid of this, but Photobucket refuses to upload it :angry:

• Like 5
  • Nano sapiens changed the title to Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef
  • Christopher Marks locked this topic
  • Christopher Marks unlocked this topic