Cultivated Reef

Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef

Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

Cool looking digi- is all the skin green or just the new growth tips- I haven't seen that before

The skin usually turns some shade of blue depending on lighting, but from what I've read this can take a while to develop. Only the tip areas seem to be this highlighter-green color, but it can extend a ways down into the body. The orange on the polyps is very intense (many say more so than the 'Forest-Fire' digi). Interesting thing is that this may not be M. digitata at all, but rather M. samarensis which tends to have skinnier branches. Evidently, it orginated from the now defunct 'Wet Thumbs':

Here's a pic of a large specimen (credit to ROS_SCO on RC):

BubblegumMontiDigiLarge.jpg

As with most Digis, this one appears to be a fast grower. I've had this guy in for a few days and already the little green side branch appears to be growing :)

• Like 6
Nano sapiens

Love the new additions! The digi looks like Forest Fire, which is my favorite digi :wub:. I have one that is not too happy right now. I've hit it/broke it many times while moving things or doing maintenance. It's finally starting to get some color back in it.

Good to hear that you FF Digi is recovering. They are quite resilient and can take a bit of knocking about.

I think that all of us with smaller tanks knock off our Digi branches since they are quite fragile. That's why my Ulta Blue Digitata always looks like it's nearly the same size whenever I take a FTS, but it can grow an inch per month. I'm doing my best to keep from knocking it just to see if It'll make it to the tank's surface :)

• Like 1

Good to hear that you FF Digi is recovering. They are quite resilient and can take a bit of knocking about.

I think that all of us with smaller tanks knock off our Digi branches since they are quite fragile. That's why my Ulta Blue Digitata always looks like it's nearly the same size whenever I take a FTS, but it can grow an inch per month. I'm doing my best to keep from knocking it just to see if It'll make it to the tank's surface :)

My larger wrasse breaks my orange digitata all the time too LOL.

That photo from RC is incredible!!!! The colors :wub:. Now I want to hunt down that digi :D.

Nano sapiens

You've got some amazing pictures here, I like, macro shots especially. That digi has some pretty sweet colours :D

Thanks, hoping the Digi settles in nicely :)

Nano sapiens

Daily alkalinity usage for March, 2015 (range 7.7 - 8.8 dKH):

March 2015 Alk Chart.png

Considering this is a simple 'Kalkwasser in an ATO bottle' setup, I think it's not too bad.

• Like 2
Nano sapiens

New FTS:

FTS_041215_zpsfhxg34dz.jpg

Not much has changed other than I have adjusted the light field a bit more towards 10K for a warmer look. After seeing so many uber-blue aquariums and frag shots under pure actinics, I'm 'Blued-Out' :)

The wild Yuma took off and now resides in the quiet middle of the tank (couldn't stand the flow up front). The large Valentines palys I have in front have been decimated by the Clowns (they like to literally stick their noses into the heads and watch them close/open up/close/open up...all day long...). Had to return the Scarlet Hermit since it wouldn't leave my Acros alone (constantly collecting and eating the coral mucus with it's trapped food particles). Daily feeding of the Acros has added ~20% encrusting growth in the last 2 months. Glad to see the Granulosa finally waking up a bit. Of the newest additions, the three Jack'o'lantern Leptoseris mini frags are all doing really well in their respective locations and the 'Bublegum Digi' is starting to show typical white growth tips so I think it's getting ready to start branching. Everything else...eating, growing, fighting, doing their thing...

Next FTS will be a couple months at the 7 year mark :)

• Like 17

Holy moly! Just saw this thread and it seems I'm late to the party. Great looking tank amigo! I love the simplicity and careful stocking choices

Nano sapiens

Holy moly! Just saw this thread and it seems I'm late to the party. Great looking tank amigo! I love the simplicity and careful stocking choices

Nearly 7 years late (J/K) ;)

Thanks!

Nano sapiens

been gone for a while. come back and the tank still looks great. not that i expected anything different lol

Thanks for that. The humbling reality is that any tank can go belly up, but there are ways to at least minimize that possibility.

So clean

4372207-8532408509-galle.jpg

Thanks. It just kind of stays that way ;)

• Like 3
Nano sapiens

Looks great. Love that lil single red polyp in the middle of the pics surrounded by all the green one.

Thanks. That single red polyp used to be many...Clownfish irritated the others to death, unfortunately.

Nano sapiens

Very good looking tank!

I really like the direction you're taking it in, also :)

Great work!

Thank you. Over the years I've glued mini frags in what I believe are appropriate places for the type of coral and just let them mostly fend for themselves. My interest is in observing the coral interactions and a by-product is a grown-in kind of look.

Love that latest FTS. Tank is spotless! Great work as always :)

Except for that mini-snail in the upper left corner. Looks like it didn't get the memo to hide for the FTS photshoot yesterday ;)

Thanks.

• Nano sapiens changed the title to Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef
  • Christopher Marks locked this topic
  • Christopher Marks unlocked this topic