inTank Media Baskets

Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef

Nano sapiens

So do I :)

As much as I like Rics, in some ways the Rhodactis are actually more interesting. The textures and small 'polyps' on the discs (of some species) are unique and their way of splitting in two with their insides showing is just alien-like :)

Then there are the 'Discosoma' Atlantic species such as D. calgreni pictured above that are not kept that often, but are great tank inhabitants.

As much as I like Rics, in some ways the Rhodactis are actually more interesting. The textures and small 'polyps' on the discs (of some species) are unique and their way of splitting in two with their insides showing is just alien-like :)

Then there are the 'Discosoma' Atlantic species such as D. calgreni pictured above that are not kept that often, but are great tank inhabitants.

ASD has sold some of them recently and i've looked

at with interest. :) good to see them in someone's actual

tank! might consider in near future.

+1 about Rhodactis. I'm starting to collect more and more of them because of the exact reason why you find rhodactis interesting.

Discosomas on the other hand, I can never 'keep them' (as in they tend to let go of the rock scaping and end up in the back of the tank :closedeyes: )

• Like 1

Discosomas on the other hand, I can never 'keep them' (as in they tend to let go of the rock scaping and end up in the back of the tank :closedeyes: )

I've had the Pacific Discosoma do that, but not the Atlantic species. Have you tried Discosoma calgreni, Discosoma neglecta or Discosoma sanctithomae?

I've had the Pacific Discosoma do that, but not the Atlantic species. Have you tried Discosoma calgreni, Discosoma neglecta or Discosoma sanctithomae?

Yes to a D. calgreni, no to a D. neglecta or D. sanctithomae (mainly due to a sudden interest in mushrooms in the hobby and a sharp rise in prices for those group of species. My gf believes that collecting Discomas might not be a good idea at the moment, plus the fact that Discosomas doesn't like to stick around in my tank)

• 3 weeks later...
Nano sapiens

Time for a mini-update.

Setosa...encrusing, spires and now branching plate/arms. Plasticized free-form at it's best :)

Setosa Spread_031715.jpg

Started to daily feed my Acros with Reef-Roids and color is improving (pics in a few months). As a side effect, I'm getting 1" vertical growth on the Purple Digi per month and this crazy Setosa growth Thought a pic would be in order before I trim them back (yet again).

• Like 12
Nano sapiens

Great shot! Daily feedings . Mini update is right - total teaser pic

:D

See that fuzzy purplish 'bump' of a coral between the Setosa and the Pavona? Acro...cough.. :)

I want to see how far daily supplemental feeding can take it before I post up pics :)

• Like 2
Sk8n Reefer

:D

See that fuzzy purplish 'bump' of a coral between the Setosa and the Pavona? Acro...cough.. :)

I want to see how far daily supplemental feeding can take it before I post up pics :)

I missed that one! Have you tried the oysterfeast? Good stuff also.

• Like 1
Nano sapiens

I missed that one! Have you tried the oysterfeast? Good stuff also.

Yes, I've tried Oyster Feast and it's great. Only problem is that I can only use a little at a time and after a few months I end up with a 3/4 full bottle of ransid-ness that gets thrown out.

Wish they made a 'nano' sized bottle...

Beautiful shot...love the polyp extension

Thanks. It's like that all day with all the SPS in the tank. The only time I see anything closed up is after a hermit crab visitation. Might be a result of the daily detritus stirring...

• Like 1

Setosa...encrusing, spires and now branching plate/arms. Plasticized free-form at it's best :)

Love all the spires shooting up. Mine is just finally starting to get 20 or so bumps on the top of the encusted part and I hope it looks like yours in a year or twos time.

Nano sapiens

Love all the spires shooting up. Mine is just finally starting to get 20 or so bumps on the top of the encusted part and I hope it looks like yours in a year or twos time.

I'm sure it'll get there. But don't be surprised if it grows in some unexpected direction :)

Time for a mini-update.

Setosa%20Spread_031715_zpspkeqixb8.jpg

Started to daily feed my Acros with Reef-Roids and color is improving (pics in a few months). As a side effect, I'm getting 1" vertical growth on the Purple Digi per month and this crazy Setosa growth Thought a pic would be in order before I trim them back (yet again).

It looks like it had some zoa babies :lol:

Nano sapiens

It looks like it had some zoa babies :lol:

Yeah, it does :)

I believe that the Setosa put up these spires as a direct result of the Zoa threat. It's a quite effective barrier that really slowed down the Zoa encroachment.

Nano sapiens

A few Shroomy 'Macro' pics...just for kicks :)

Note the really odd 'Polyp-in-a-Sac' thing going on. This Calgreni used to have the normal 'tentacled polyps' that are typical of the genus and I have no clue what's going on here:

Blue Calgreni Polyp Sac Detail_032515.jpg

Here's the 'baby' and it has the normal polyp tentacle structure:

Green Calgreni Polyp Sac Detail_032515.jpg

Odd,but cool little Rhodactis:

Green&Orange Rhodactis Detail_032515.jpg

...and, last but not least, a very, very sad Red Rhodactis 'shoom. Every once in a while one gets a coral that should be easy, but for one reason or another just doesn't adapt well to a captive system. This is location number three for this little guy, so hoping it can get it's groove back. It'll be fed and get amino acid everyday to see if that helps it recover.

Sad Red Rhodactis_032515.jpg

• Like 10
Nano sapiens

I love the texture and colors on all those mushrooms. Great macro shots!

Thank you, Felicia. These Rhodactis are great subjects for close up shots.

Nano sapiens

New additions:

My single blue-leg now has a scarlet buddy. Needed a second hermit due to my old blue-leg slowing down due to age:

Scarlet Hermit_032815.jpg

Montipora digitata: Little 1" frag of what I believe is the 'Bubblegum Digi':

Bubblegum Digi_032815.jpg

Jack'o'lantern Leptoseris (sorry for the grainy image...hard to capture properly): Been waiting for this one to become more widespread and the cost to become more reasonable. Broke up the original frag into three mini frags and placed them in different light and flow areas just for kicks ('medium/high light and flowflow', 'medium light/medium flow' and the recommended 'low light/low flow':

Jack'o'lantern Leptoseris_0318`5.jpg

• Like 9

Love the new additions! The digi looks like Forest Fire, which is my favorite digi :wub:. I have one that is not too happy right now. I've hit it/broke it many times while moving things or doing maintenance. It's finally starting to get some color back in it.

• Nano sapiens changed the title to Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef
  • Christopher Marks locked this topic
  • Christopher Marks unlocked this topic