SaltCritters.com

Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef

Nano sapiens

it's gorgeous! congrats!

i love my single ric, and have admired yumas

at LCS but i was leery of reports that yumas

are harder to care for than rics. and me being a noob...

it's gorgeous! congrats!

i love my single ric, and have admired yumas

at LCS but i was leery of reports that yumas

are harder to care for than rics. and me being a noob...

Thanks. You are quick to reply :)

FYI - 'Rics' (genus Ricordia) have two species, 'florida' (Atlantic-Caribbean) and 'yuma' (Indo-Pacific). So when someone says "Rics', could be either species :)

• Like 1

Thanks. You are quick to reply :)

FYI - 'Rics' (genus Ricordia) have two species, 'florida' (Atlantic-Caribbean) and 'yuma' (Indo-Pacific). So when someone says "Rics', could be either species :)

my bad. i meant the floridas. that's the

one i've got.

and i'm on a novel deadline. which explains

why i am on the forum all the time. i need to get

my arse in gear soon. :wacko:

• Like 1

my bad. i meant the floridas. that's the

one i've got.

and i'm on a novel deadline. which explains

why i am on the forum all the time. i need to get

my arse in gear soon. :wacko:

Had a deadline to meet today by noon, so I know what you mean!

• Like 1

Cool little 'Hitchhiker' that came in on the wild Yuma rock. The only reason I even noticed it is that it glowed under my tank's morning blue light. It's about half the size of a grain of white rice and I had to use full 3X camera zoom plus Digital Zoom plus a 4X eyeloop magnifier to get this shot:

Indo Hitchhiker_092714.jpg

It's a stony coral of some type, but it's just too small to identify properly. It's under ~200 PAR right now and it'll be basted with ReefRoids twice a week, so I expect it should grow out rather quickly (just so long as the Hermit doesn't mistakenly eat it!).

• Like 5
Cool little 'Hitchhiker' that came in on the wild Yuma rock. The only reason I even noticed it is that it glowed under my tank's morning blue light. It's about half the size of a grain of white rice and I had to use full 3X camera zoom plus Digital Zoom plus a 4X eyeloop magnifier to get this shot:

IndoHitchhiker_092714_zps59027d2e.jpg

It's a stony coral of some type, but it's just too small to identify properly. It's under ~200 PAR right now and it'll be basted with ReefRoids twice a week, so I expect it should grow out rather quickly (just so long as the Hermit doesn't mistakenly eat it!).

Wow- that looks interesting- see how it develops!

Wow- that looks interesting- see how it develops!

The tissue around the edges is like a mantle and surpisingly floppy in the current. I was first thinking Pavona, but maybe a Pectina? I'm stumped with this one right now until it gets a lot bigger.

Part of the fun factor in reefing for me is finding little unknowns like this. If I worked at a coral vendor they'd find me buried in the LR and coral shipments looking for oddballs like this :)

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Dang NS! There's been some crazy action in your tank lately. Sorry about those yumas. Looks like the one is recovering well though. As for the new HH, are you sure it's hard and not a baby yuma? Colors look similar to your new one.

Dang NS! There's been some crazy action in your tank lately. Sorry about those yumas. Looks like the one is recovering well though. As for the new HH, are you sure it's hard and not a baby yuma? Colors look similar to your new one.

Yeah, the Rics took a hit, but they'll bounce back :)

When I first spotted this hitchhiker I could see with a magnifier that the flesh was completely withdrawn into it's serrated skeleton as one would see in hard coral like a Fungia. Now it's nice and puffy and only eminates from the small coral skeletal area and if you look closely you can see septa underneath the flesh. It's also oblong, not round.

What I observed in my other 'find' that I thought was a Fungia, is that hard corals we usually see as one mass seemingly without individual polyps (like Pavona) actually start life as round or oblong individual polyps. As they grow bigger they fuse together and form sheets often without noticeable polyp definition.

Now, if it turns out to be a 'Shroom after all I'll be really surprised!

• Like 1

The tissue around the edges is like a mantle and surpisingly floppy in the current. I was first thinking Pavona, but maybe a Pectina? I'm stumped with this one right now until it gets a lot bigger.

Part of the fun factor in reefing for me is finding little unknowns like this. If I worked at a coral vendor they'd find me buried in the LR and coral shipments looking for oddballs like this :)

Ya - that's definitely a fun factor- keeps my wife in front of the glass with a magnifying lens . Great to have a coral that small and grow it out

Cool! Looking forward to seeing it develop.

Yup, me too!

Ya - that's definitely a fun factor- keeps my wife in front of the glass with a magnifying lens . Great to have a coral that small and grow it out

Speaking of hitchhikers, I see the clear little 'Shrooms in your tank are doing good and growing a bit. Very curious to see how they develop to determine better exactly what they are.

• Like 1

Speaking of hitchhikers, I see the clear little 'Shrooms in your tank are doing good and growing a bit. Very curious to see how they develop to determine better exactly what they are.

Ya thanks, still doing well and growing - still really transparent- I'll get some update shots up

Hey loving this tank nano sapiens! What do you use to vacuum the sandbed?

Thanks. Standard mini gravel vac with a plastic valve from the hardware store to control flow:

NanoTankCleaningSupplies052213Smaller_zp

• Like 5

I struggle to separate the sand from the detritus it seems that either both the sand and detritus sink back to the bottom or both get sucked up by my vacuum...

Mine has a larger chamber though so perhaps if I reduce the flow it might help if not I guess i'll have to buy another vacuum with a smaller chamber like yours.

I struggle to separate the sand from the detritus it seems that either both the sand and detritus sink back to the bottom or both get sucked up by my vacuum...

Mine has a larger chamber though so perhaps if I reduce the flow it might help if not I guess i'll have to buy another vacuum with a smaller chamber like yours.

Reduction in flow should do the trick.

Thanks. Standard mini gravel vac with a plastic valve from the hardware store to control flow:

NanoTankCleaningSupplies052213Smaller_zp

hey nano, i've actually been reading up on "cleaning"

our sand beds in nano tanks, and as always, the opinions

are varied and conflicting. i have very little exposed sand

due to the rocks sitting in my nano. what might you suggest as

the best way of cleaning? i know that many seem to just stir up

the top layer a bit before water change? thanks!

hey nano, i've actually been reading up on "cleaning"

our sand beds in nano tanks, and as always, the opinions

are varied and conflicting. i have very little exposed sand

due to the rocks sitting in my nano. what might you suggest as

the best way of cleaning? i know that many seem to just stir up

the top layer a bit before water change? thanks!

Here's the 'Full Monty' for what I do to keep my 6+ year old nano tank in tip-top shape:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/327364-maintenance-and-the-nano-reef-tank/

IMO, stirring just a bit of detritus here and there is much better than leaving a shallow sand bed alone and works for a while, but ultimately the material that collects via advection under the live rocks degrades the system over time. I have a schedule where I remove a base rock every month or two to vacuum underneath (starting from left to right). The exposed sand bed not covered by rock gets vacuumed weekly with the water change. This is much easier in a Nano than in a large tank with large rocks, but is more necessary since we are usually dealing with a much higher bio-load to water volume with a small tank.

• Like 2

bookmarked =)...right next to your TOTM thread...

I posted this a while back, but I guess these things just fall into a forum black hole.

Hope it helps to keep your tank running well for many years :)

• Like 1
  • Nano sapiens changed the title to Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef
  • Christopher Marks locked this topic
  • Christopher Marks unlocked this topic