Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef

Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

Those are some very impressive rics. Bravo! The clown looks so annoyed by the ruler in that photo :lol:

Thanks. I'm not entirely sure why they are as large as they are, but I'm not complaining :)

That ruler is the only thing he seems to be afraid of...

• Like 1
Nano sapiens

Cute clown video! :wub:

I love how clean this tank looks!

Thank you!

The system has reached a nice equilibrium after so many years, so there's not much cleanup needed.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks. I'm not entirely sure why they are as large as they are, but I'm not complaining :)

That ruler is the only thing he seems to be afraid of...

Hmmm, maybe I should wave a plastic ruler around in my tank before I stick my hand in for target feeding. The clowns think my hand is the target :lol:

Nano sapiens

Hmmm, maybe I should wave a plastic ruler around in my tank before I stick my hand in for target feeding. The clowns think my hand is the target :lol:

Worth a try!

• Like 1

How's the Jack O'Lantern experiment going? I've tested moving mine around quite a bit.

I've found...

It grows best in med/low light. Med flow.

Colors are best under shade with a bit of indirect light.

What are you seeing?

Mine will also eat mysis. Seems to love it

Under the ledge on the sand bed

tamk%20001.jpg

Nano sapiens

I've found the JOL to be quite adaptable. Medium/low light does bring out the richest colors, but I also placed a pin-head (literally) sized speck of a frag under higher light (200 PAR) and while lighter in color, growth has been excellent (nearly dime sized in just two months).

I have a bunch of other Leptoseris that I have also chopped up into smaller frags and placed into nooks'n'crannies and they are doing quite well. I think only really high light will cause them issues.

• Like 1

I've found the JOL to be quite adaptable. Medium/low light does bring out the richest colors, but I also placed a pin-head (literally) sized speck of a frag under higher light (200 PAR) and while lighter in color, growth has been excellent (nearly dime sized in just two months).

I have a bunch of other Leptoseris that I have also chopped up into smaller frags and placed into nooks'n'crannies and they are doing quite well. I think only really high light will cause them issues.

Definitely hardy and adaptable. I bleached mine pretty bad during a new light acclamation and it recovered very quickly

Nano sapiens

Definitely hardy and adaptable. I bleached mine pretty bad during a new light acclamation and it recovered very quickly

The only Leptoseris that has proven a bit touchy to frag is RR (Reef Raft's) 'Strawberry & Cream'. Also watch out for neighbors since Leptoseris species often end up being damaged (but can recover quickly).

Hi you, I think I would like to try some Riccordeas again. The new scape I am working on, the right side could do with a cascade of bright mushrooms, so naturally riccordea came to mind.

Any tips on how to keep them happy?

Nano sapiens

Hi you, I think I would like to try some Riccordeas again. The new scape I am working on, the right side could do with a cascade of bright mushrooms, so naturally riccordea came to mind.

Any tips on how to keep them happy?

I sing mine to sleep every night...seems to help ;)

Today's 'more-flow-and-lighting-the-better' SPS prepped tanks can have issues with Rics. Too much flow and often too much light. Just want the polyp skirts to lift lazily a bit in the current. If the polyps 'trumpet', then slowly give a bit more light. If the Rics stay small/contracted and lie totally flat on the rock, then they are likely over-lit and/or have too much flow.

Try a lower flow area with maybe 90 - 120 PAR (LED). Feed 1-2x/wk (any typical coral food will do).

• Like 1

I sing mine to sleep every night...seems to help ;)

Today's 'more-flow-and-lighting-the-better' SPS prepped tanks can have issues with Rics. Too much flow and often too much light. Just want the polyp skirts to lift lazily a bit in the current. If the polyps 'trumpet', then slowly give a bit more light. If the Rics stay small/contracted and lie totally flat on the rock, then they are likely over-lit and/or have too much flow.

Try a lower flow area with maybe 90 - 120 PAR (LED). Feed 1-2x/wk (any typical coral food will do).

Thank you.

Well, that pretty much means I can't have them. The right side is a bit of a tornado with the gyre. :(

Nano sapiens

Thank you.

Well, that pretty much means I can't have them. The right side is a bit of a tornado with the gyre. :(

Sounds like SPS territory...

Nano sapiens

Hit the 7 year mark on this little nano. Still put-putting away with just LR and LS :)

12g%20FTS%207th%20Year_071815_zpswjfypkj

Taking good pics is one of the hardest parts of this hobby! Here's a corner shot of some Sunny D's, Speckled Apple Cider and Mohawks I added to the tank many months ago as single polyps (heavily manipulated to try and get true-to-life color, but just can't get the blues right...)

12g Zoa Corner_071815.jpg

And a little RR 'Ironman' unknown LPS (probably a Lithophyllon sp., which is basically a Plate Coral (Fungia) that stays attached to an object). Very cool little coral that grows like crazy when fed daily:

12g%20RR%20Ironman_071815_zpsdmc9k4pm.jp

I've got quite a few Leptoseris mini-frags growing out as well as some single polyp Zoas/Palys, but I'm going to let them grow for a few months more before I take pics.

For anyone who's been following this tank thread for 7 years I hope it's been of value.

• Like 13

Hit the 7 year mark on this little nano. Still put-putting away with just LR and LS :)

12g%20FTS%207th%20Year_071815_zpswjfypkj

Taking good pics is one of the hardest parts of this hobby! ;) Here's a corner shot of some Sunny D's, Speckled Apple Cider and Mohawks I added to the tank many months ago as single polyps (heavily manipulated to try and get true-to-life color,but just can't get the blues right...)

12g%20Zoa%20Corner_071815_zpskoljin2m.jp

And a little RR 'Ironman' unknown LPS (probably a Lithophyllon sp., which is basically a Plate Coral (Fungia) that stays attached to an object):

12g%20RR%20Ironman_071815_zpsdmc9k4pm.jp

I've got quite a few Leptoseris mini-frags growing out as well as some single polyp Zoas/Palys, but I'm going to let them grow for a few months more before I take pics.

For anyone who's been following this tank thread for 7 years I hope it's been of value.

Looks amazing man congrats on 7 years! Always looks nice in your tank,I actually use a tip you recommended to keep the sand clean a while back as yours is always spotless,airline tubing is handy :)
  • Like 1
HarryPotter

Looks amazing man congrats on 7 years! Always looks nice in your tank,I actually use a tip you recommended to keep the sand clean a while back as yours is always spotless,airline tubing is handy :)

Explain? Airline tubing?

• Like 1
Nano sapiens

Truth be told, I don't think I'm the only one with a nano that cleans up the sand before a pic ;)

• Like 1

Truth be told, I don't think I'm the only one with a nano that cleans up the sand before a pic ;)

True but,Damn fine work my friend don't discredit yourself :D

Explain? Airline tubing?

Standard air.line tubing for aquarium equipment is good to siphon out junk on the sand without sucking up the sand or draining lots of water by mistake.

Nano sapiens

True but,Damn fine work my friend don't discredit yourself :D

Standard air.line tubing for aquarium equipment is good to siphon out junk on the sand without sucking up the sand or draining lots of water by mistake.

Just keeping it 'real' :)

I actually use the standard 'Gravel Vac', but I spliced in my own plastic valve to control flow.

• Like 1

I actually use the satndard 'Gravel Vac', but I spliced in my own plastic valve to control flow.

Now I know what I'm doing tomorrow,excellent idea!
HarryPotter

I actually use the satndard 'Gravel Vac', but I spliced in my own plastic valve to control flow.

Sweet! I use a gravel vac and just bend the tubing. Valve is probably easier though

Nano sapiens

Sweet! I use a gravel vac and just bend the tubing. Valve is probably easier though

The valve is great in that you can have very fine control:

NanoTankCleaningSupplies052213Smaller_zp

• Like 2
  • Nano sapiens changed the title to Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef
  • Christopher Marks locked this topic
  • Christopher Marks unlocked this topic