Innovative Marine Aquariums

Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef

Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

Lighting Updates:

Due to failure of the Cadlights electronic ballast and poor quality of the 12" NO T5 bulbs, I've gone full LED, namely Ecoxotic Stunner Strips w/individual relectors. Color rendition is similar, but I do notice that the Royal Blue (445nm) brings out more of the florescence than the T5 Actinic bulb did. The 12K/Magenta gives off light that is quite similar to the previous 18K Power-Glo T5 bulb. I notice a bit more light intensity compared the previous T5/LED hybrid system, but the human eye is not the best measure of such things.

PAR values for the previous iterations of the (4) different color types of Stunner Strips (without reflectors) was around 105 at the water surface. 12" away from the light source (where my SPS corals are), PAR was 71 (as measured by 'Aquanerd.com' using an Apogee PAR meter). Per the manufacturer, using the individual reflectors can double the output. Using a more conservative 75% increase, I estimate PAR at the water surface should be around 185 and 12" from the light should be around 125. I may just have to get an Apogee PAR meter to test this :)

I'm going to let his run for a few months to see how the corals do.

Edited by Nano sapiens
Nano sapiens

The 'Trials and Tribulations' of Reef Keeping. After 2-3 weeks, looks like the Cherub Angel is on his way out :( Dang, I really liked this fish, too...

Little fella was eating and swimming just fine yesterday, but this morning he had 'the shakes', was swimming oddly all over the tank and was not picking at the rocks as usual. This afternoon, he's holed up in a dark crevice where he is still moving/swimming, but its a jerky back'n'forth motion with some accelerated breathing. I had read a few other accounts on-line where this fish does well for around 2 weeks, then dies within a day or two. Often, the tail and other fins show a raggedness (which mine does a little), then it goes downhill real fast possibly due to internal infection. The other possibility is delayed death from cyanide poisoning which basically causes internal organ failure a few weeks after capture.

The Red-Headed Goby is performing a 'death watch' and barely leaves the Cherub's side, even when food is offered. He seems obsessed with the situation. The Barnacle Blenny is happily eating everybody else's food (little Piggy...).

Edited by Nano sapiens
That's crummy news :(

So fish can look completely normal and still have cyanide poisoning?

Actually cyanide will increase color in a lot of fish. So it helps the cyaniders move product.

Nano sapiens
That's crummy news :(

So fish can look completely normal and still have cyanide poisoning?

Yes, there is no way to tell visually that a fish has been subjected to cyanide. It's a terrible practice that I have actually witnessed first hand. Not only are the fish taken, but the reef area with all it's associated organisms often suffer annihilation.

Very beautiful tank!

I had a Cherub Angel for about 4 months, he was an amazing fish until he killed him self jumping into my overflow and then going into my return pump :(

Nano sapiens
Very beautiful tank!

I had a Cherub Angel for about 4 months, he was an amazing fish until he killed him self jumping into my overflow and then going into my return pump :(

Thank you. Glad you like the tank.

Sorry to hear about your Cherub. Sucks when you loose a cherished fish.

I woke up this morning expecting to find a dead fish, but its still swimming. I'll be amazed if it recovers, but you never know.

This evening the fish started to eat again! It's still not looking or swimming 100%, but its a good sign. I've been keeping fish for 35 years and I can usually tell when they are going to the big fish tank in the sky, but I'm hoping this one is an exception.

Edited by Nano sapiens
Nano sapiens

Updates:

Chrub Angel is 95% recovered! Just a few slightly off-color areas and the ragged fins are mending. I have no idea what happened to this little guy, but certainly glad he's almost back to full health.

...and in other news...

My less than 2 year old Ecoxotic power supply has dimmed/flickered to less than half strength :( I've only had in full operation for about 6-8 months. Had to order another power supply today (grrr...)

Edited by Nano sapiens

You post above says you're using the strips, but did you mean the PRO modules?

These are reported values for PRO's.

1 12K White/445nm Blue Module - 55 PAR at the bottom of a 28 Gallon Biocube

1 12K White/445nm Blue & 1 445nm Blue - 85 PAR at the bottom

Edited by metrokat
Nano sapiens
You post above says you're using the strips, but did you mean the PRO modules?

These are reported values for PRO's.

1 12K White/445nm Blue Module - 55 PAR at the bottom of a 28 Gallon Biocube

1 12K White/445nm Blue & 1 445nm Blue - 85 PAR at the bottom

No PROs, these are the Stunner Strips with individual reflectors). The theme of my tank is ASAP & AEAP ('As Simple As Possible' & 'As Efficient As Possible'). I've been using (2) Stunners along with (2) NO T5s for a while and the corals are doing just fine. Since the electronic ballasts for the T5s are dying, I've decided to go all Stunners (I like to push the boundaries...on the lower end of things). Color rendition in the tank from the new Stunners (especially the 445nm Royal Blue) is super and definitely beats the Cadlights NO T5s. Just need a new power supply to get back to full strength again.

Edited by Nano sapiens
buddythelion

Glad to hear about the cherub! I love the argi angelfish complex, flameback being my top fav. I read that he wasn't doing well and was hoping he would recover. Those little guys sure know how to hang on!

Btw, I recently put down an order for aquascapers, let me know via pm if you want any softies!

Nano sapiens
nice looking tank , looks like ive got a ways to go yet.

Your tank is coming along nicely. It does take time for everything to adjust and grow out...and you'll run into some 'challenges' along the way (as we all do). Good luck!

Nano sapiens
Glad to hear about the cherub! I love the argi angelfish complex, flameback being my top fav. I read that he wasn't doing well and was hoping he would recover. Those little guys sure know how to hang on!

Btw, I recently put down an order for aquascapers, let me know via pm if you want any softies!

Yeah, I'm impressed that he came back, for sure! Just has a little yellow scarring up on the head where the yellow meets the blue, so he's a bit lop-sided, color-wise. That's okay though :)

Have you set up the new tank yet?

Hi there, I'm interested in info on the CAD lights. I went to their site but it has me confused. Is the canopy a separate item that you then retrofit to whatever light you want?

Stuie25 has a MH on his light, but you have ecoxotic, so I'm confused.

thanks.

Nano sapiens
Hi there, I'm interested in info on the CAD lights. I went to their site but it has me confused. Is the canopy a separate item that you then retrofit to whatever light you want?

Stuie25 has a MH on his light, but you have ecoxotic, so I'm confused.

thanks.

Hi!

I bought my CAD Lights tank over four years ago and at that time it came with a canopy housing (4) 12" NO T5s. On their website they now offer their own LED light fixture which comes with the tank, I believe. They do offer an option to buy a second one if someone needs even more light.

In my case, one of my T5 ballasts died and I decided to ditch the other, too. However, I decided to keep my old CAD Lights T5 canopy, but replaced the T5s with Ecoxotic's LED Stunner Strips. I could have bought the CAD Lights LED fixture, but my two ATOs are in the way and won't allow their unit to clamp properly. Also, I like the flexibility that comes with the use of Stunner Strips (easily swap them out, move their positions, etc.).

As far as I can tell Stuie25's ditched his CAD Lights T5 canopy for 60W Cree fixture, but then went to a MH Sunpod.

Edited by Nano sapiens
Nano sapiens

Alrighty, then...new Ecoxotic power supply arrived and all is very well in the tank again :)

Noticed the output for this PS is upgraded from the earlier model, most likely to allow the new Panaorama PROs to run with the Stunner Strips.

Ecoxotic is stepping up to the plate and has agreed to send me a new PS after I return the old, defective unit. Awesome :happydance:

Hi!

I bought my CAD Lights tank over four years ago and at that time it came with a canopy housing (4) 12" NO T5s. On their website they now offer their own LED light fixture which comes with the tank, I believe. They do offer an option to buy a second one if someone needs even more light.

In my case, one of my T5 ballasts died and I decided to ditch the other, too. However, I decided to keep my old CAD Lights T5 canopy, but replaced the T5s with Ecoxotic's LED Stunner Strips. I could have bought the CAD Lights LED fixture, but my two ATOs are in the way and won't allow their unit to clamp properly. Also, I like the flexibility that comes with the use of Stunner Strips (easily swap them out, move their positions, etc.).

As far as I can tell Stuie25's ditched his CAD Lights T5 canopy for 60W Cree fixture, but then went to a MH Sunpod.

Thank you!

Nano sapiens

I really like the new Royal Blue Stunner Strip (445nm). Its doing a nice job of bringing out more of the coloration of all my Montis. While this wavelength is certainly beneficial, I think the additional PAR/intensity is playing a role, too. The 12k/Magenta is a subtle color combo that accents the orange colored corals quite well.

One thing I noticed is that my camera can no longer take an accurately colored picture of the tank under full LEDs. I spent a good 2 hours trying every trick in the manual (including all the 'White Balancing' procedures), but nothing works properly. Next step is to take my best picture and then try to color correct using a program. If anyone has any special tricks to taking pics under LEDs with a digital camera, I'd like to hear them.

The Cherub Angel now has a bit of Pop-Eye and a white splotch on the dorsal, which may be fungus. Luckily, he's still eating and swimming. Obviously, a weakened immune system :( I'm trying to keep him well fed with a wide variety of foods multiple times a day and keep the tank clean/stable.

Edited by Nano sapiens
Nano sapiens
Awesome looking tank!

Thank you, glad you like it. I see you are staring out with a 12g of your own. Enjoy the experience and if you run into troubles, there's a lot of folks on here that can help.

Thank you, glad you like it. I see you are staring out with a 12g of your own. Enjoy the experience and if you run into troubles, there's a lot of folks on here that can help.

Nano sapiens

Lighting News:

Couple pics of new (5) Stunner Strip setup:

5StunnersOFF.jpg~original

5StunnersOn.jpg~original

5Stunners_FrontView.jpg~original

5Stunners_TopView.jpg~original

They are so easy to install and switch around in this fixture that it seems as if this Cad Lights canopy is nearly custom made to accept these strips.

Four of these strips (with reflectors) would normally be enough, but I noticed the only coral that was straining for more light was the 'Armour of God' Palys, leaning towards the front Royal Blue strip. The 5th light I installed today is a 12K/Royal Blue (445nm) strip which is nearly right above them, so they should be happy (...the things we do for our corals :) )

It's nearly impossible to get a true color pic with these LEDs, so everything looks a bit pink/purple. Color wise, the additional 12k/445 strip has made the tank look a bit more 'cool', but also a bit 'sharper'.

• Nano sapiens changed the title to Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef
  • Christopher Marks locked this topic
  • Christopher Marks unlocked this topic