Top Shelf Aquatics

Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef

Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens
Poor fishy. :( Well, now that Mr. Thiel is on here we hope to have more updates from you Nano.

:)

I am the silent Ninja reefer type :ninja:

But, having Mr Thiel interested in our tanks has loosened up my typing fingers :)

Love this tank. I've been tempted to get one and do about the same as far

as corals and add in some sexies and call it good.

Inspirational build.

Nano sapiens
Man, thats a clean looking tank, love the simple clean look!

Thank you for the nice comment.

Love this tank. I've been tempted to get one and do about the same as far

as corals and add in some sexies and call it good.

Inspirational build.

Thank you. The tank has been great. The original T5 lighting has had some issues lately as one of the two ballasts has died. I believe that Cadlights now sells a LED setup with the tank which should be more reliable.

Nano sapiens
I was rather hoping for pictures.....

loose typing fingers are cool too :P

New pic of the tank on page 1. My old digital camera is 'close-up challenged', unfortunately.

reeftankguy

You def. have the cleanest build 4 years running NS... Kudos!

fwiw... I have my original CAD12 fixture still. If you want it just pay shiping?

(Disclaimer) Offer valid to NS only! And his Build was what sold me on my CAD12

Jon...

Nano sapiens
You def. have the cleanest build 4 years running NS... Kudos!

fwiw... I have my original CAD12 fixture still. If you want it just pay shiping?

(Disclaimer) Offer valid to NS only! And his Build was what sold me on my CAD12

Jon...

Thank you very much for the offer. However, I have my sights on a completely different lighting setup...just waiting for Xmas :)

New pic of the tank on page 1. My old digital camera is 'close-up challenged', unfortunately.

It's awesome. but it says July. We just entered June, I knew you were an alien, who else has such gorgeous tanks but aliens.

Nano sapiens
It's awesome. but it says July. We just entered June, I knew you were an alien, who else has such gorgeous tanks but aliens.

Correction...did say 'July'...good catch! My bad, I time traveled a bit too far into the future and forgot to sync up...

Thanks for the compliment, but there are many here on NS who have much more exciting tanks (yours included).

• 2 weeks later...
Nano sapiens

Bought a pair of these little fellas today (Red Headed Goby - Elacatinus puncticulatus)

RedHeadedGoby1061612.jpg~original

RedHeadedGoby2061612.jpg~original

Hope to have some better luck with them than I did with my last fish (Gumdrop Coral Croucher). The two I have are nearly the same size but one is 'huskier' and so far I have not seen any aggression (usually, these fish will fight with their own kind). Maybe I've been lucky and have found a pair.

They seem to have quite a bit of personality for such a small fish.

• 2 weeks later...
Nano sapiens

Updates:

1. Removed over (40) Blue striped Mushrooms of all sizes over the weekend. Started with one from my previous tank four years ago and I've been thinning them out every few months to attempt some semblance of control. They've also been intruding on my SPS, so I finally had enough and whipped out the trusty mini screwdriver. In an hour or so I managed to get 'em all. The trick on these guys is to really dig into the LR around the foot and detach the 'Shroom without leaving tissue behind. Best to do this outside the aquarium so that toxic discharge and bits of tissue don't circulate around the tank. Sometimes their location is too hard to get at properly, so I'll remove as much as I can then go back and scrape the site clean with the screwdriver. I expect a few to redevelop, but it'll be easy to remove them. For anyone planning to keep a Pico/small Nano with SPS long term you might want to think twice before introducing Discosoma 'Shrooms'.

2. The little Red Headed Gobies are really nice to watch and they are really easy to feed (they literally attack the pipette I use to feed them). Unfortunately, it looks like I don't have a pair so there is a lot of chasing and posturing, but no damage. The smaller Goby hangs up on the back wall a bit to avoid the larger 'Master of the LR'. The dominant fish has excavated borrows under a couple pieces of LR and deposited the sand onto the Rics, so, basically, I've been blowing it off and he/she puts it back on. Last couple days have been better since I think the digging is done.

3. Now that I have a good mix of salt (MicroLube bucket had super high Calcium, so had to cut it drastically with Instant Ocean) I'm back to Kalkwasser added to my ATOs. Everything looks better and CAL and ALK are staying very stable.

Nano sapiens

Updates:

1. (1) Red Headed Goby returned (wasn't a pair after all)

2. Picked up a small Barnacle Blenny and a Pygmy Angel (Angel is camera shy, so no pic...yet)

BarnacleBlenny063012.jpg~original

cute little fishies you got here! would love to see the angle once he comes out of hiding :D

Edited by Squared
Nano sapiens
The blenny is supposed to be a terrorist, at least the one at my LFS is, he attacks everybody. Hope you're does well. Very cute little goby.

Time to call Homeland Security! :)

At 1" long this BB has already stood his ground against the 2" RH Goby and managed to topple a Hermit Crab that was invading his space. Mine doesn't even pretend to hide in a hole or anything. These little guys are no pushovers!

cute little fishies you got here! would love to see the angle once he comes out of hiding :D

He's out and all, but he won't sit still for a photo! I'll keep trying until I get that one decent shot (hopefully).

Time to call Homeland Security! :)

At 1" long this BB has already stood his ground against the 2" RH Goby and managed to topple a Hermit Crab that was invading his space. Mine doesn't even pretend to hide in a hole or anything. These little guys are no pushovers!

+1 yes, that was my observation at the LFS as well. The BB there was attacking a pistol shrimp!

buddythelion

Nice on the barnacle blenny! I saw a whole bunch of them at Aquatic Collection and it was probably one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Nano sapiens
Nice on the barnacle blenny! I saw a whole bunch of them at Aquatic Collection and it was probably one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

There's also a vid or two on Youtube where a half dozen or so are being fed...its nuts. I'd like to see these guys filmed using a slow-motion camera to see how they avoid whacking each other when going after food.

Nano sapiens

Very pleased with the way all three fish are getting along. The Red Headed Goby was a bit ticked-off at first with his new tank mates, but they have all settled down. The Cherub Angel is more peaceful than I expected and the Barnacle Blenny seems happy minding his own business (and eating more than his fill!). Only mild issue I've had is that the Red Head is much more of a burrow-maker than I expected and it seems to have a knack for depositing sand all over my Rics!

Nano sapiens
Squared said:

Here's the best shot I could get (for some reason my camera can't capture the true deep blue of this fish, so it shows it as purple <_< ):

CherubAngel070412.jpg~original

I feed this one 3X/day and its doing fine so far. Great fish, for sure, and I hope it continues to do well fingerscrossed

Nano sapiens
very cute :)

Thanks, he/she is awesome :)

Interesting that the various on-line vendors all copy the same '30 gallon minimum'. I could see that being a good recommendation if the fish isn't fed often and they have to survive on what they can pick off the LR. I am sure a lot of Nano tank enthusiasts have passed this fish by because of this.

IMO, as long as the fish is fed 3x a day with a variety of meat and algae based foods a 10g or so should do just fine. I even know of one or two seasoned aquarists who've successfully kept them in a 5g, but as the only fish in very well established reef tanks.

Edited by Nano sapiens
  • Nano sapiens changed the title to Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef
  • Christopher Marks locked this topic
  • Christopher Marks unlocked this topic