Coral Vue Hydros

Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef

Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

Intersting - shrooms are fairly hardy and at 6yrs old it obviously was happy - any idea what triggered this

I suspect too strong/long exposure to the wavelengths put out by 430nm hyperviolet LEDs which I added to the system around 2 years ago. I have one other Rhodactis that bleached and is currently in hiding. The other Rhodatis, while they haven't bleached, have slowly moved into less exposed areas. Not so easy to keep high and lower light corals happy with only 12" of water depth to work with, but that's part of the challenge.

• Like 1

I really love the write-up! Great to hear your detailed thoughts about the tank and what has worked for you. I wish more threads had detailed info like this in one easy to find place.

Nano sapiens

I really love the write-up! Great to hear your detailed thoughts about the tank and what has worked for you. I wish more threads had detailed info like this in one easy to find place.

Glad you enjoyed the read :) Our tank threads get so spread out and fragmented that I thought about just putting the most important/relevant info all on one page.

I'm also going to keep updating and adding to this 'top of pg 57' with this type of info from time to time since it's impossible to sit down and write about everything all at once. I'll let the rest of the thread continue on as usual with pics, occurances, chit-chat, etc.

• Like 1

Great write up and congratulations on the 7 year birthday! I love all the mini-me frags. I've done the same thing in both my tanks and I agree that they look much more natural as they grow in. It also gives me a chance to get to know the corals much better as they grow out, and you have time to move them around if they need to adjustments in lighting or flow.

Nano sapiens

Great write up and congratulations on the 7 year birthday! I love all the mini-me frags. I've done the same thing in both my tanks and I agree that they look much more natural as they grow in. It also gives me a chance to get to know the corals much better as they grow out, and you have time to move them around if they need to adjustments in lighting or flow.

Thanks! I've found that the mini-frags typically adapt better than min-colonies since they don't have a predetermined shape that was influenced by previous flow and lighting conditions.

• 2 weeks later...
Polarcollision

Happen to have any helpful hints for encouraging a rhodactus shroom to let go of it's nook? It's getting too big AND it finally made a baby but I can't figure out how to remove one of them.

Nano sapiens

Happen to have any helpful hints for encouraging a rhodactus shroom to let go of it's nook? It's getting too big AND it finally made a baby but I can't figure out how to remove one of them.

Typically, a small flathead screwdriver and a hammer to carefully chissel out the piece of rock it is directly attached to. If done carefully, the 'Shroom and it's small base rock can then be attached elsewhere without any injury.

jedimasterben

Funny story, I was literally just outside a few minutes ago with a hammer and chisel breaking apart a rock to steal some maxi mini nems off of it :)

Nano sapiens

Funny story, I was literally just outside a few minutes ago with a hammer and chisel breaking apart a rock to steal some maxi mini nems off of it :)

Yup, that's the way :)

Polarcollision

Typically, a small flathead screwdriver and a hammer to carefully chissel out the piece of rock it is directly attached to. If done carefully, the 'Shroom and it's small base rock can then be attached elsewhere without any injury.

mmmm. I found this old picture of it before it split and doubled in size. I'll check again tomorrow to be sure, but what if the chisel isn't possible? The rock's crevices are fairly deep and I fear breaking the entire base.

Edit: just prodded it and it retracted about an inch into the cave under the rock. That must be where the foot is attached. The chalice must have stung/pushed it to the right as it grew out. I guess the rhodactus is staying put?

aACWbsw.jpg

• Like 2
Nano sapiens

I guess the rhodactus is staying put?

Ummm, the only other thing that I can think of is to take a mini powerhead and point it directly at the Rhodactis. After a day or three it *may* detach itself due to not liking the high flow.

• Like 1
Polarcollision

Ummm, the only other thing that I can think of is to take a mini powerhead and point it directly at the Rhodactis. After a day or three it *may* detach itself due to not liking the high flow.

Sounds like the path of least resistance is to move the acans and let the rhodactus keep it's spot--at leas until the chalice chases it further around the corner. Thanks for the suggestions!

Nano sapiens

Sounds like the path of least resistance is to move the acans and let the rhodactus keep it's spot--at leas until the chalice chases it further around the corner. Thanks for the suggestions!

You're welcome. Hope it all works out.

• 1 month later...

Mini-Update:

Many years-old Acan colonies gone 'Poof'. Note to self, "New Mussid frags must be 100% okay...or throw away"

Zoanthids are moving towards 'World Domination' (well, tank domination, anyway). Single Petroglyph is now three and the biggest head is over 1" wide (stunning Zoa!).

Lost a few Rhodactis due to them releasing from their perches (unable to get them to reattach). I believe that they did this due to being overlit for a time and the effects showed up a month or two later. Others more in shaded locations are doing just fine...

Seriatoporas recovered well (lost about 50% of their flesh, initially). Also starting to grow new spikes. Have them under lowish-medium light (~130-150 PAR), so color is good but not 'in-your-face' bright. BOP's polyps are really long (looks like the frills on a '60's folk rock jacket).

18 year old Discosomas trying to make a break out into the light...and killing the stony corals around them. Need to play 'exterminator' this weekend...

Rics, as usual, 'Puff-daddys' ;)

Sand bed algae slowly diminishing (new IO/RS BB mix). Decreased coral feeding due to 'The rise of the Hair Algae' (Muhaha...) and now have more calcification (higher Ca and Alk usage). Sometimes too much of a good thing is not so good...

Gratuitous pic just for stopping in...'Plague of Zoas' (started as single or dual polyps) :)

Zoa%20Group1_100315_zpsbmqe026p.jpg

• Like 11

Thanks for the update. Those zoas look sweet :)

It's funny how you describe the discomas making break for the light. That's exactly what mine do every so often and I have to apply boiling hot water to them. They melt away but come right back just a couple weeks later. It's crazy how tough they are.

Pretty plague :).

What happened to the acans?

Thanks. I received a 'freebie' Acan that was fresh-cut and it seems to have transfered an infection to the other Acan colonies. Took around 2 months for all the heads to die...one by one :(

Thanks for the update. Those zoas look sweet :)

It's funny how you describe the discomas making break for the light. That's exactly what mine do every so often and I have to apply boiling hot water to them. They melt away but come right back just a couple weeks later. It's crazy how tough they are.

Thank you.

Yeah, I've hit these two survivors with Kalk paste...and they always bounce back. Certainly tougher than Aiptasia, just don't spread as fast (thank goodness).

• Like 1

Thanks. I received a 'freebie' Acan that was fresh-cut and it seems to have transfered an infection to the other Acan colonies. Took around 2 months for all the heads to die...one by one :(

Wow...that sucks :(.

I want to get some acans (not that I have the room LOL), so will try to be careful about something like that. Was there anything in particular you noticed wrong with the fresh cut when you got it?

Wow...that sucks :(.

I want to get some acans (not that I have the room LOL), so will try to be careful about something like that. Was there anything in particular you noticed wrong with the fresh cut when you got it?

I noticed that it was 'fresh-cut', so it hadn't had enough time to heal properly. Likely the stress of handling and a new tank environment was too much and it developed a noticeable infection within 2 days...and was totally gone in a week. I had this a few years ago with an injured Blasto (same Mussid family) with similar results in that my Mussids were decimated. Typically, other types of corals are not effected.

Basically, look for a fully healed specimen with no flesh missing.

• Like 1

Could it be chemical warfare? The old residents have gotten used to each other but the new guy came in and boom.

The new Acan was placed quite a way away from the older Acan colonies, so probably not. Definitely an infection that I've seen before. (polyps shrivel, brown jelly...gone...). After something like this I'll leave the tank Mussid-less for at least a few months...just in case.

I noticed that it was 'fresh-cut', so it hadn't had enough time to heal properly. Likely the stress of handling and a new tank environment was too much and it developed a noticeable infection within 2 days...and was totally gone in a week. I had this a few years ago with an injured Blasto (same Mussid family) with similar results in that my Mussids were decimated. Typically, other types of corals are not effected.

Basically, look for a fully healed specimen with no flesh missing.

Ok...I will do that. I have a few blastos now and don't want to lose them. Thanks for the tip :).
  • Like 1

Ok...I will do that. I have a few blastos now and don't want to lose them. Thanks for the tip :).

You're welcome and "May your Mussids be happy, healthy and fruitful" :)

• Like 2
  • Nano sapiens changed the title to Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef
  • Christopher Marks locked this topic
  • Christopher Marks unlocked this topic