inTank Media Baskets

Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef

Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens
Your tank looks fantastic. Congrats on keeping such a beautiful tank for three years!Thats truly an accomplishment in this hobby!

Excellent job!

Thank you. Congrats on the NTOM on RC. The tank and the natural layout is just wonderful. Really nice job!

• 4 weeks later...
Builder Anthony

Assuming evrything gets to you i thought id post some care tips for the items shipped.

The cheato i sent you is very hardy and doesnt require alot of light.

The red macro i sent you likes alot of light and will develop white circles sorunded by red.

The astera i sent you will eat that golden coral you have.

The stomella snails will search for food if they are not fed.Meaning they will go out of the water and into your filters.

The yellow sponge i sent you does well in low lighting.

The darker sponge is photosyntetic and grows quickly in light.

• 2 months later...
But, an experiment is much more fun :) :

WaterBottleExperiment.jpg

WaterBottleExperimentTubeCloseup.jpg

The dye is from a saltwater Ph test kit (20 drops) which has been added to the saltwater in the Pyrex container (1.0245 SG). The pet bottle has been filled half way with pure RO water. I've covered the experiment with a towel since I am not sure if the dye is photo sensitive over time.

I'm going to leave this experiment for one week to see if the fresh water bottle shows any signs of turning pink-purple.

This is too cool!

• 4 weeks later...
any updates?

Tank is holding rock-steady. With no fish and limited coral feedings the tank is staying very clean. With fish I used to have small patches of maroon colored Cyano, but I haven't seen that stuff in months.

Coral growth is slow-moderate, which is fine for a little 12g Nano. The SPS seems to be growing the best, probably because of the low nutrient levels.

Thanks for asking!

• 3 weeks later...
metrokat said:
Hey, my hamster bottle ATO is not working for me. I think I need the wooden holder that you've made. Any pictures of it without the bottle so I can see what I need to do to make it stand?

thanks

The 'bottle holder' is an acrylic block (wood would rot in this application):

ATOBottleStabilizer.jpg~original

This block has a hole drilled slightly larger than the bottle cap and it is glued onto a black acrylic sheet (which has a slot cut into it for the downspout to go through). The sides of the bottle cap simply rest on the black sheet which prevents it from falling through to the back chamber.

[ig]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee141/Back2dubs/ATOBottleStabilizer.jpg[/img]

This block has a hole drilled slightly larger than the bottle cap and it is glued onto a black acrylic sheet (which has a slot cut into it for the downspout to go through). The sides of the bottle cap simply rest on the black sheet which prevents it from falling through to the back chamber.

that is such an awesome idea.

• 3 weeks later...
Nano sapiens said:

ATOBottleStabilizer.jpg~original

Please adopt me so I can have this acrylic block.

Please adopt me so I can have this acrylic block.

LOL...

You could make this out of wood, just make sure you completely seal it with polyurethane (comes in a spray can or brush on) when its completed.

• 2 weeks later...

Time for a few updates:

Lost one of the four Cadlights T5 fixtures this week. Took the canopy apart and examined all wires and connections, but I couldn't find any problems. Possibly something wrong in the electronic ballast. Since running only three T5 bulbs would give me an underwhelming 24W, I installed a Ecoxotic 6W LED Stunner Strip (white/blue) that I had lying around using the T5 reflector. We'll see how this goes...

Running the tank at present without any store-bought CUC. May look into a Scarlet hermit soon since I see a few small patches of turf algae starting up. Micro-snails/limpets seem to be handling the glass cleaning duties okay.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad to see your tank is running strong still...I remember seeing this thread a long time ago because of your ATO and I've been waiting since then to start a nano (had big tank at the time) and utilize a similar set up. Keep up the good work...I'll let ya know how the ATO works out for me :).

• 4 weeks later...
As requested, I have 'Tanked a new picture' on the first page :)

You're so punny :lol:

Good to see it still running :)

Edited by Squared

Thanks. Not much change other than some slight LR rearranging and some Rics splitting in two.

Only issue is a Sunset Monti that has faded out, but still grows just as fast. I'd like to get some of that orange color back again, so I think I'm going to try feeding it 2 or 3 times a week.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks. Not much change other than some slight LR rearranging and some Rics splitting in two.

Only issue is a Sunset Monti that has faded out, but still grows just as fast. I'd like to get some of that orange color back again, so I think I'm going to try feeding it 2 or 3 times a week.

have you had any problems with the metal in the tank. affect on corals or fish?

have you had any problems with the metal in the tank. affect on corals or fish?

No, not that I can tell. I had a fish for a year that remained healthy before I gave him away and the corals are fine. Only the Sunset Monti is bleached more than usual (never had really good color to begin with).

• 4 weeks later...
Nano sapiens
no! come on that is torture.

Really, if I took a pic today it would look just like the latest pic on my first page.

I do have some 'goodies' coming next week, though :)

Edited by Nano sapiens
  • Nano sapiens changed the title to Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef
  • Christopher Marks locked this topic
  • Christopher Marks unlocked this topic