Pod Your Reef

Reinventing Bonsai's [8g] BioCube - The Office Tank

Bonsai

what mods did you do besides the fuge?

i am planning my office bc8. i am going to use a mini 606 but i don't know what else... i know some open up the chambers in the back but i am at a loss

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
what mods did you do besides the fuge?

i am planning my office bc8. i am going to use a mini 606 but i don't know what else... i know some open up the chambers in the back but i am at a loss

The only thing I did to this tank was to add an inTank media basket, upgrade the pump as you mentioned, and added a Koralia Nano ... oh, and a Hydor Flo.

Other than that, it's stock. I'm only keeping easy corals in here, so I didn't need to do much else.

• 4 months later...
Any new pics?

I'm slowly tearing this tank down, I've all but stripped it of coral ... I have an Ocellaris Clownfish in there with a Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, and a few mushrooms, and that's about it.

Within the next two months, I'll be moving offices ... so I'll have to move this tank about 3 or so miles down the road. When I do this, I'm likely going to "reboot" the system and start from scratch. For one reason or another, this tank has never hosted coral well ... and over the past couple months, it has been a haven for cyanobacteria, no matter what I do or how many water changes I perform.

I'm putting the blame on my black "Tahitian Moon Sand" bed.

So when I reboot the system, I'll clean the tank out completely and use "Special Reef Grade" sand.

I'm watching NanoCustom's 12" T5 retros ... and I may be able to convert this tank to T5s around the time I reboot the system.

So, that's what's happening :)

I'm slowly tearing this tank down, I've all but stripped it of coral ... I have an Ocellaris Clownfish in there with a Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, and a few mushrooms, and that's about it.

Within the next two months, I'll be moving offices ... so I'll have to move this tank about 3 or so miles down the road. When I do this, I'm likely going to "reboot" the system and start from scratch. For one reason or another, this tank has never hosted coral well ... and over the past couple months, it has been a haven for cyanobacteria, no matter what I do or how many water changes I perform.

So when I reboot the system, I'll clean the tank out completely and use "Special Reef Grade" sand.

I'm watching NanoCustom's 12" T5 retros ... and I may be able to convert this tank to T5s around the time I reboot the system.

So, that's what's happening :)

-_- My BC8 is INFESTED with Cyano right now. New red sandbed at the end of everyday.

I have and hate the chit. It's very fine and shows any algae on the sandbed. I think it is more of a freshwater sandbed for puffers or discuss tanks. On my next tank, I'm doing straight up aragonite.

• 3 weeks later...

This tank is officially torn down as of last Friday.

I moved offices, and the tank came home with me for a thorough cleaning - it looks sparkly and new again :) When I set this tank up, I never took the time to remove the false floor from Chamber One ... after I hosed down the tank at home, I realized that I should knock that piece of plastic out and find what's underneath it. The bottom of chamber one was FULL of sand saturated with crap. I took the hose to it again, and now the tank is CLEAN!

Tomorrow, I'm swapping my old Live Rock for new stuff at my LFS -- just to make sure the old rock wasn't leaching anything that was causing my Cyano problems.

Tomorrow should be a fun day :)

Tank Reborn Today -- March 19th, 2010

I traded in my old Live Rock for new, smaller pieces, and arranged the new rock to maximize the exposed sandbed ... I enjoy this look.

Aquarium, sans water:

bc8empty.jpg

A shot of the new office with the reinvented BC8

bc8inoffice.jpg

ahhhh!!! glad you started over!

I am going to also guess it was the dang sand!

Anyways get better lighting, because from your old setup you zoas were extending. Though if they were splitting pretty consistently then great!

Looking forward to watching this one mature. Monday I send the chaeto!

I was going to wait until Nano Customs releases their T5 retros for the BC8, but I couldn't wait ... :)

Regardless, I'll be upgrading to the 12" T5s, assuming they fix under the splash guard, when they're released.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks great.

Feed the grandis 2-3 times a week and babies will start popping up.

I started with about 8 polyps last Nov and now have about 25.

That yasha is pretty cool. I want to get one for my small tiger pistol.

• 5 months later...

Archived