SaltCritters.com

Reinventing Bonsai's [8g] BioCube - The Office Tank

Bonsai

looks awesome, very clean...

i shoulda got black sand <_<

I know I know, kind of late to respond but I agree about the black sand. I just converted to black sand in my aquapod 24 and LOVEEEEEE it. I will never go back to the other stuff because now the colors in my tank are popping.

I got the idea from Bonsai and some other poster (forgot his name) who posted his photos from 2004.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It has progressed in to a really nice tank congrats.

OMG - I would accuse you of stealing my username and general identity, but you registered like a year before I did :P

And to top it off I bet you don't have a 80 year old imported azalea with a 12in trunk. JK

Ha! I actually don't have ANY trees. I used to have a few Bonsai years ago, but I always killed 'em. Bonsai in Michigan is hard. Collldddd.

Do you like the look of the black sand? Really makes the tank look dark.

I like black sand in smaller tanks. In my BC29, I use a mix of sugar-sized sand, and 'Special Reef Grade' sand - both of which are the normal sandy color.

Nice tank! I have a BC8 too. I love the way yours looks. How are you keeping your black sand so clean? Just wondering. I have black sand in mine, and even though I'm still cycling, I'm wondering how it'll get clean again even with a CUC.

YEAH - I DID IT.

Today I added a ... wait for it ... gasp ... SECOND fish to my BC8. The Horror! Rest assured, it's just a Firefish to keep my Clown Fish company.

I figure, with regular weekly water changes, a 'fuge in the back, and running Chemi-Pure elite, I should be relatively good to go. If I start seeing crazy level swings, I'll obviously re-think it ... but for now, I likeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

I've added a few frags since I last updated this thread ... I put an 8-10 polyp frag of Eagle Eyes in the tank, added some Superman Mushrooms, and this beauty ... Fire & Ice Zoa frag, only $15 at the LFS.

fireicepo6.jpg

Where did you buy your gravel from (brand name)? Yours is much darker than mine and I wanted it the shade of black you used in your pico.

By the way - great tank. I think I will setup a 8 gallon too. You can never have enough

• 3 weeks later...
akabryanhall

Love the look so far. I am going to replace the sand in mine and was worried about the darkness of the black sand but looking at yours I think I'll do it.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since I've added coral to this tank, so I picked up a nice frag of these Daisy Polyps from my LFS:

clovesq.jpg

I've heard that they grow fairy quickly - so I'm going to confine them to one rock that is easily removable for fragging when the time comes.

I also added a Peppermint Shrimp last week to attack a few Aiptasia that have popped up. I saw the shrimp swimming around the first day, but haven't seen him since. I gave up on him, thinking maybe he was attacked by another member of the clean up crew ... but when I came back from the weekend, my Aiptasia are gone!

So he's still in there somewhere. Are Peppermint Shrimp nocturnal?

Brooklyngal

nice tank, it looks really good! and I think pep shrimp are nocturnal, or at leats very, very shy. you dont see them very often, I was lucky to see my old one once a month.

nice tank, it looks really good! and I think pep shrimp are nocturnal, or at leats very, very shy. you dont see them very often, I was lucky to see my old one once a month.

Thanks! The peppermint shrimp actually popped out for a second today when I fed the tank ... so he's still alive and kickin' :)

• 6 months later...

October 2009 Photo Update

In all fairness, between my home reef (BC29) and this, my office tank (BC8), my home tank gets a lot more attention and generally gets all the "Cool Corals" that I buy. But the BC8 isn't too shabby, and I'm getting the itch to invest more time into it.

Here is a small photo update of the Office BC8. I suck at taking closeups with a DSLR that doesn't have a Macro lens, excuse the noise and horrible focus :)

October 2nd, 2009 FTS

ftst.jpg

Ocellaris Clown Fish with Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

clownwithshrimp.jpg

Large Head of Paly Grandis with Baby

palygrandis.jpg

Blowpop Zoanthids

blowpops.jpg

Tubb's Blues Zoanthids

tubbsblues.jpg

Whammin' Watermelon Zoanthids

whamminwatermelons.jpg

Pink Clove Polyps

cloves.jpg

Acan Lord

redacan.jpg

I love it! :)

Thanks! I think I may do some fragging in my BC29 this weekend, bring in some Nuclear Greens at the very least. This tank needs more coral ... maybe a few more Acans. Maybe a Blasto.

lessthanseven

I just recently bought a bc8 and i used the black sand also. Not too many corals yet, just a tree and some green zoas but i love it!

your tank looks great and i hope mine will someday look like yours.

Archived