Coral Vue Hydros

Neuwave's Edge of the Reef

neuwave

This moring I walked by the tank noticed my RTBA was shriveled up. Its been with me for 2 1/2 years it rarely ever done that but upon closer expection (while being half asleep/work at 7am on a saturday, ugh) It looked like a dougnut. Then I found one of my 1.5 inch wide snail inside the nem's mouth! How, I havent a clue. I quickly took it out removed it. But where the mouth is a giant hole! Wish I had time for a pic, Will try to send when I get home. It's never split but now with this trama it may. Just thought i'd share, I doubt it will die, but who knows..... :mellow: fingers crossed.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Gerber77. Ya i'll update a pic of the nem when i get home. hopefully its ok, it did have some inards sticking out of it. But that nem is a survivor, super strong. hopefully

• 3 weeks later...

Good news .....Bad news.... the rose nem made it thru and split. Bad news, the "guts" of the rose apparently fell on top of the sebae nem during the night. Somehow it explelled its inards completely out during the night. Found the remains partially inside the mouth of the sebae. Not sure exactly what happend but the sebae shrivelled up was "poisioned" or something and lost the sebae. So pi$$ed. Haven't lost a nem in years. :angry:

You can see the damaged rbta.

100_0189.jpg

But here are just some updated pics.

Also this little univalve (brain lapse forgot name) ate thru my sponge that was growing in my tank. The sponge came from nothig and has grown to 4 inches in height and 2 inches around. You can see the one did it.....

Before

100_0192.jpg

After it was eaten.

100_0194.jpg

The culprit with a blenny who insisted to get in the photo.

100_0197.jpg

But new POM POM CRAB

This the second pom pom crab for this tank. This guy split its nem into 2 within 24hours of in the tank.

100_0186.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

It's been a while since I've posted anything on this site just been lurking in the background. Some new corals but no pics of the harem of flame angels yet. lost cord to camera so these are just iphone pics. Tank did lack alittle Ca for a while so the growth was small on the corals but now I have more $$$ and back in business.

Blastos

015.jpg

The birdsnest has gotten a bit bigger.

018.jpg

The tri-color got from local store around 65 bucks for whole pice, not too bad.

020.jpg

• Like 1

Forgot this pic the other day for the fiji acro which is has turned blue from the light purple it was when I originally bought it.

017.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Well just thought I'd post some new pics of the tank. My LFS had a party entire store discounted for like 4 hours and first come is first served. So I got these two little pieces of coral. :D When you find a great store its always worth it. All are Iphone pics (alittle bit on blue side) so excuse the photos but it gives you an idea.

First Here are some updates of the fish. Due to the fact I lost one of my hi-fin gobies a while back to unkown reasons the other goby and his pistol shrimp have roamed the bottomed for months just growing and always finding news ways of shoving sand back and forth. But I finally got him anther little buddy to hang out with. Seems to be a match with no fights or rough housing. I was worried at first because I didn't see the new one for alittle over a week. Then he just appeared and hasn't left the original goby since.

296d56bf.jpg

Sorry for dirty glass.

74a00a2c.jpg

Next I accidently broke a branch off my birstnest and just epoxyed to the rock with only a dozen or so small polyps and wasn't sure if it was gonna die. But here it is now with half dozen more branches.

9923767f.jpg

Went in one day for fish food and got this cap. For 5 bucks why not about 3 inches long.

159b4647.jpg

Random shot of my 2 out of 3 flame angels I have. Have had them for months now and the harem is pretty cool to watch. Every evening after I feed they do their mating ritual. No eggs yet though, still too small.

f91b04bd.jpg

Here are the corals I got last night. The fiji table is just starting to color up but all the polyps are completely out. A good sign its taking just like the blue/green acro in my other post.

3d239030.jpg

55c9857c.jpg

Also had a moment of "impulse buy" even though I have read tons of info about sea fans this red fiji with white polyps was a must lol. Its only been 24 hours and ALL the white polyps are out. I've already fed them microvore from brightwell and oyster eggs for a snack. So can't wait for this sea fan challenge. fingerscrossed

One of the flames got in the pic but its still decent. :happy:

1aa52ef2.jpg

ee1bf91b.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Mew. I'm working up to get a blue berry gorg on the other side. I'll have a doser within the next few months to put in a soup of food for the acros and sea fans. a few ml's every couple of hours will keep all coral and non-photo corals full. As for now its all about pouring in some liquid food by hand. I'm constructing a mini fridge for the coral food(keep it fresh). Modifying one from ebay. Says it keeps the temp arouind 45 F , something around the size of a can of coke. That's more than enough room for a small bottle of coral food.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just alittle update. Just a few pics of the flame trio. Fast fish + slow phone camera = fuzzy pics but what the heck, why not. lol

:happy:

56b21bd4.jpg

181d0005.jpg

f91b04bd.jpg

Will try again within the next few days to get a better shot of all three, maybe while feedings might be a bit more manageable.

Seriously, did you just jump on my thread to insult me?

I have worked on breeding them before and I am going to breed them again. I hope this is not in response to that post about the clam. If not then give me your experience on breeding flames. I always enjoy a good conversation. But if not dude grow up.

• Like 1

I have worked on breeding them before and I am going to breed them again. I hope this is not in response to that post about the clam. If not then give me your experience on breeding flames. I always enjoy a good conversation. But if not dude grow up.

I really didn't know you've had such experience with these fish, and that you've kept them very healthy for a few months. Please forgive me.

Oh, and what clam?

I had mentioned about an old school way, "how people USED to use PC's on clams". I even said T5 and MH would better thus the metal halide I have on my tank for the clam I used to have. But someone got mad and insulted me on something that used to be common practice a long time ago. Either way its over and I don't care. I'm looking into DIY led setup that will produce cloud effects, sunrise and sunset from east to west and so forth. But since I'm back in school finishing my engineering degree. Books and classes are eating up my time and $$$. So i'm just working on the design and programming for now untill I have more time and $$$, lol.

Thanks callmesaul8889. My next addition will be the bubble magnus doser. Guess i'll be the guinea pig for it since it just came out but looks promising. My LFS contacted the company and waiting for a reply. It will be so much easier to dose plankton and my code A and code B from now on.

It will add ml's of solution to the water through out the day. The solution I use is from brightwell aquatics, their alk and Calcium (code A&B) its helps to maintaint cal, alk, ph at constant levels throughout the day since I have so many acros in my tank using up what my saltmix supplies. Also with that red sea fan in the tank, it needs constant feedings. With the plankton, oyster eggs, etc that needs to be supplied for it for food the doser will help in the feedings without me having to pour it into the tank every hour.

callmesaul8889

i see, mind giving me an opinion? i'm planning on getting a frag pack of zoas, rics, acans and some frogspawn soon.. all will be smaller frags, in a 20g, what should i be checking for?

i have an API reef master test kit, so i can test calcium, carbonate hardness, and phosphates

Umm sure no one has ever asked me for opinion lol except my roommate, I usally stay silent on the threads except one night out of the year lol.

Depends on how long your tank has been set up. Before getting any corals make sure all ammonia, and nitrite are gone, small amounts of nitrate is fine. Also check your lighting for intensity. One thing I'm big on is flow. Not necessarily the more the better but more all around. Such as along the sand, it will prevent alage, diatoms, cyno bacteria from growing or atleast slow it down imensely. By not allowing dead organics (food) to fall to the bottom and create hot spots of decaying matter you reduce the chances of giving the unwanted algae food for growth.

As for the frags themselves, check for the extension of the polyps. If they are closed up it could mean that they are not in good health. Check the lighting on the tank you buy from. Sometimes they are blasted with blue light as a means of making the coral seem more colorful and then when you get home they are a dull brown.

If you buy online since you avatar says LFS desert, the wysiwyg are my favorites because you see the actual coral you are buying. And they usually state the lights overhead. Otherwise check the forums for reputable sellers because there are a handful that will cause you headaches.

callmesaul8889
Umm sure no one has ever asked me for opinion lol except my roommate, I usally stay silent on the threads except one night out of the year lol.

Depends on how long your tank has been set up. Before getting any corals make sure all ammonia, and nitrite are gone, small amounts of nitrate is fine. Also check your lighting for intensity. One thing I'm big on is flow. Not necessarily the more the better but more all around. Such as along the sand, it will prevent alage, diatoms, cyno bacteria from growing or atleast slow it down imensely. By not allowing dead organics (food) to fall to the bottom and create hot spots of decaying matter you reduce the chances of giving the unwanted algae food for growth.

As for the frags themselves, check for the extension of the polyps. If they are closed up it could mean that they are not in good health. Check the lighting on the tank you buy from. Sometimes they are blasted with blue light as a means of making the coral seem more colorful and then when you get home they are a dull brown.

If you buy online since you avatar says LFS desert, the wysiwyg are my favorites because you see the actual coral you are buying. And they usually state the lights overhead. Otherwise check the forums for reputable sellers because there are a handful that will cause you headaches.

thanks for the detailed reply..

my tanks been up for about 5 months now, everythings been stable for about 3 and a half. i'm in the process of getting a Knano to go with my K1 for more diverse flow, and my return pump gives an extra 100gph..

as of right now i have a mat of GSP that are spreading like crazy with my new light(24" sundial. 4 t5s 96w total) and a frag of plain brownish zoas which are also looking very good under the new light.

i also have a condi anemone(which i probably shouldnt have since my tanks only 5 months old) that has shown major growth in the past month since i got it from my LFS.

you are correct to assume that i'm using an online store for my corals, i'm going to buy from mrcoral.com, which i've heard to be very very good with selection and personal frag packs so i'm not too worried about getting ugly corals..

just wondering how quickly my calcium will get consumed from having 5-8 smaller frags of coral?

Archived