Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Reef-A-Palooza vs. MAX Marine Aquarium Expo

Aqua newbie

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you like better?

• MAX
    • Reef-A-Palooza
  2. 2. Do you get good deals on aquarium supplies, fish, corals?

• Yes
    • They don't sell fish
    • I'd rather go to my LFS
    • There's no change in price.
    • There's nothing worth buying.
    • $50 dollars can get you a lot.

I'm planning to go to either of them, but don't want to waste my money. Out of your experience which one is better? Max's website is much nicer and seems to have more booths. Which one has better deals?

Kinda different events. MAX is more for the industry where RAP is more for the enthusiest. I went to MAX, and I'm going to RAP to represent and work at the SCNRS booth that we're having there.

Max is what 7 months from now? RAP is in a few weeks. Why not go to both?

Seriously!

Anyways, there isn't one that's better for cheap corals and fish. Both are equal oppertunity for cheap prices, but the best prices are the end of the day when no one wants to take stuff back home. Like Zoanuts that blew out all their NICE acans at the end of MAX. 30+ colonies GONE in 5 minutes! You won't see that madness at ANY LFS around.

BTW, sometimes the cheapest corals and fish aren't always the best... ;) Just something to keep in mind.

Kinda different events. MAX is more for the industry where RAP is more for the enthusiest. I went to MAX, and I'm going to RAP to represent and work at the SCNRS booth that we're having there.

Come for a visit when you have a minute. I'll be at Tyree's booth.

These shows are mostly for corals, not really heavy on fish. Although some of the fish stores with booths will have some fish there. Don't expect anything other than some of the more common varieties.

What do you bring to these events?

I was thinking of bringing a ice chest to keep the corals and fish the same temp.

I'm so excited. I have over one hundred dollars to spend. 50 from my 8th grade graduation.

• 3 weeks later...
p.s. MAX is a 'ripoff' of RAP

Um, not exactly true since I organized both (RAP 07 and MAX 08 & 09)

Nonetheless, both events are definitely worth attending

We have a hard time getting vendors to sell fish for some reason (at either)

I think someone could make a killing in sales if they brought a boatload of fish to these events

Edited by Reefmeister2
REEF A PALOOZA WAS GREAT! Going back next year.

Yea, it was definitely worth attending, however they had less than HALF the number of people compared to those who attended MAX, when it should have been nearly equal.

the new organizers unfortunately did a very poor job of promoting the event and it showed. I hope they learn their lesson for next year.

Meanwhile, we recently signed on Aquarium of the Pacific to exhibit! We will also have the very popular children's touch tank there so don't be shy about bringing the entire family. The raffle is going to be the KING of all raffles too!

Edited by Reefmeister2
reefmeister...you're promoting MAX or RAP?

I did RAP '07 but had nothing to do with '08

I now run the MAX shows full time

Both are great shows in their own right, but we try to take the MAX show a step further in both scale and professionalism

• 5 years later...

In my past experiences of both MAX and Reef-a-palooza in 2012-2013, RAP was much much bigger in crowds/booths and the ticket price was cheaper as well. Attendants weren't too impressed with MAX this year either.. so..lol.

Yeah MAX this year was great. I think it was well worth the $15. I took my girl and she had a blast looking around and touching all the rays and starfish. There were definitely good deals to be had...I mean you can't beat getting 5p CAR's for $20.

• Like 1