inTank Media Baskets

Mangrove Biotope?

Muggz

addicted2reefer

Yes flats is where its at. and throw a D.O.A. shrimp out there. redfish, trout, and snook love em...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Anyone else with experience running a mangrove biotope? Suggested fish, plants, etc?

Aquaman, how is your setup coming along?

Anyone else working on a mangrove biotope of any kind? Curious if there are any build threads and/or personal experience here on N-R.

I was netting with a friend near the Sanibel Island causeway. We caught: filefish, puffers, grouper, toadfish, flounder, starfish, decorator crabs, various shrimps, pipefish, starfish and seahorses and many whatsthat. what fun. I hope to start a new tank for myself soon.

• 2 weeks later...

my grandparents in florida have tons of mangroves, and we find seahorses, pipefish, flounder, puffers, fiddler crabs, starfish, urchins, jellyfish, glass shrimp, arrow crabs, baby barricudas, i saw what looked like a scooter blenny but i wasnt sure, i didnt catch it, and nassasaurus snails. this was also near Sanibel

man mangroves r awesome and another thing u could keep are turnicates which r very pretty and sponges but they are difficult to care for. :)

• 2 months later...

Lots of links out there, just google, but keep in mind there are three species, white, black and red, with each tolerating different levels. Red is pure saltwater as SDT pointed out.

There are mangroves all over the world. Here is a shot in the Philippines. Note in the forground the red mangrove thicket. The darker area right behind it is the beginning of the reef. The mangroves had nearly everything the reef did, but understand the light levels are much lower so the corals were mostly lps. Fish were the same.

beachviewathightide.jpg

Siquijor Island

In the link, note the picture with the mangrove thicket from down the beach same as in the thread above.

Real cool place, $10/night. (Dorm is $4/night.) New Zealanders own it. There are about 5 little resorts along this stretch of beach, with 10-15 people per place. Mostly European backpackers whose motto is "The less you pay, the longer you stay". Beach is always nearly deserted. Diving is superb. Voodoo witch doctors are quite exciting.

Just a few swim strokes from the mangroves

tablewithcrinoid062908snorkelpost.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sounds like you and I are on the same tack. It depends on how adventurous you want to be. Some of the fish available in the Indian River Lagoon system are illegal to keep, but, "it's only illegal if you get caught"..LOL. B)

I have caught many "interesting species" in my cast net while trying to catch mullet.

Give me a shout.

Archived