inTank Media Baskets

Uwwmatt's DIY Biocube Fuge Light

uwwmatt

I would like to see some pics of how you rigged up the desk lamp?

The back of my tank stand is open with a shelf inside the cabinet. The lamp sits on the shelf with the arm pointed straight up to the back of the middle chamber. It's real simple. No modifications to the lamp at all.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3-5.jpg

Are you still using this light matt? how does it grow cheato for you?

Also, any heat?

My biocube was taken down in January so I have not been using it. The cheato grew, but I think using the CF light that some of the others have used is actually a better idea. It will be cheaper and have more light output. I never had a heat issue while using it, but that was probably because I ran the fuge lights opposite from my tank lights.

Heat is being produced by the lights. After about a month of using the light the plastic cover (the one I made out of the packaging material) started to brown, so I would most certainly use Plexiglas if I where to remake it. But as I mentioned the increase in tank temperature was negligible, at least in my case.

My biocube was taken down in January so I have not been using it. The cheato grew, but I think using the CF light that some of the others have used is actually a better idea. It will be cheaper and have more light output. I never had a heat issue while using it, but that was probably because I ran the fuge lights opposite from my tank lights.

Heat is being produced by the lights. After about a month of using the light the plastic cover (the one I made out of the packaging material) started to brown, so I would most certainly use Plexiglas if I where to remake it.

thanks for the reply, sorry to hear about the biocube...im guessing you upgraded?

I might just give the in tank fuge a try again....im going to see if my sponge caused my nitrate problems before hand.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I did this mod and it has been working great for the past few months. Last night I'm awoken to a terrible rumbling. My airpump for my skimmer had been knocked against the wall when my fuge light fell off the back of the tank. It was the selfadhesive velcro that failed. I can only assume it got too hot and lost it's tackiness? Anyone else have this problem?

I did this mod and it has been working great for the past few months. Last night I'm awoken to a terrible rumbling. My airpump for my skimmer had been knocked against the wall when my fuge light fell off the back of the tank. It was the selfadhesive velcro that failed. I can only assume it got too hot and lost it's tackiness? Anyone else have this problem?

I used to have this problem and I solved it by using some super glue.

• 2 years later...

Morning everyone! Just did this great mod with a 23 watt (100 watt equivalent) daylight bulb and was wandering how long should I leave the fuge light on while main tank lights are off? My tank lights are on from 11am-7pm and I want the fuge light on while tank lights are off at pm to am. Shed any thoughts experienced fuge mod light owners? (last night I had it on from 8pm-6am)

Archived