Coral Vue Hydros

My lettuce nudibranch!

Dustin

Dustin,

I would HIGHLY suggest getting a second. Once they reach their life span (and if you have a second) they will breed like crazy. They are a great way to get a few credits at the LFS.

(Lettuce Nudibranch's are hermaphroditic, but still require a second to produce young.)

NOTE: The young are VERY small, so they can sometimes get turned into soup if you have high flow power heads.. *ewww*.

~V

I only have one powerhead, and its just a little micro jet

I think I am just gonna wait until one of my bad LFS gets them in, I can get two for 25 then

Dustin,

VERY COOL! I'll expect to see lots of pictures then.

I love Nudibranchs & the MANY shapes & colors they come in. Just be careful of the species... and watch them.. some of them release some pretty horrible toxins when they die.

~V

ya, unfortunately that comes with it. I am gonna make it so they cannot get sucked into anything, and I think that might help things a lot. I am actually gonna try and get flatworms, so i can keep some of the cool species, this is in a non reef tank though. What are the negative effects of flatworms?

Kalanianaole

I had a lettuce nudi in my 6 gal for a few months. In one month he ate everything algae that he could stomach, then started to shrink from lack of food. He got pretty small before I traded him into the LFS hoping someone with a more nudi food in his tank would get him.

As far as I know, they eat hair algae. If you're planning on having several in a 5.5, they'll prolly starve quickly. I saw bryopsis mentioned, but I don't know for sure they'll eat it. If they do, let me know.

bryopsis=hair algae and yes, lettuce nudis eat it.

He got stuck in the powerhead today, but i yanked him out and he is fine, just am gonna have to keep an eye on him.

bryopsis and hair - different.

Lettuce nudi should eat both (mine did for a while). Keep an eye on the little guy. don't want to find it in the powerhead. very messy.

Lower-flow, too. They tend to breed a bit better in larger tanks, where they can find a calmer spot.

No one mentioned just how cool these guys are in one respect. they techincally do not get their nutrition from the algae itself. Rather, they suck out the chlorophyl (thereby killing the algae) and when absorbed into the body and transferred into the ruffles on their backs, they are, get this photosythetic.

Yep, kinda like a coral on a slug, they are very cool. I think im gonna pick up two more whenever I see them, the one I got now is moving like a dang nascar driver around my tank, faster than my crabs and snails, at night he just sits on the hair algae (thanks for the clarification crak) and stays there, its pretty cool. I want a few more, and will most likely get some for the 5.5 everyone should get one!

I found both of my original two at a LFS here in Seattle, check with your too see if they carry them.. They should be between $6-20 depending on size. Just remember, the bigger they are... the shorter the life span.

:)

~V

What online retailers sell them and I wonder how they take to shipping? I wonder why more people dont have them since everyone has had the hair agae problem at some point?

Ok actually Marinedepotlive.com has them on special for 13 bucks.Is that good deal?Then I also wonder what the rate is on these bad boys staying alive during the ship.They have no guarantee on these arriving alive lol .

Ummm yeaaahh if someone would like to respond soon; that would be greaaat! (office space)

Corriewf,

$13 isn't that bad of a price for them. I am not sure on thier shipping survival rate though. :( I would assume they would ship fairly well though.

~V

Siejuban,

If they consume all of the hair algae in your tank, or for that matter a significant portion, they will starve. If you have just a small amount of green hair algae, I would suggest just letting your water changes and rock scrubbing take care of it.

If you have a major outbreak, check with your LFS to see what their "return" or "buy-back" policy is FIRST.

If it is a good (i.e. you can get a partial credit), then buy one and let it cruise the tank for a month. If you start to see major devastation (i.e. it is eating more then what is growing) then return it.

These things (like most reef aquaria) have a voracious appetite. No matter home much hair algae you think you have, these guys will surprise you with how fast they can deplete it.

~V

• 3 months later...

Archived