Innovative Marine Aquariums

Evilc66's 40B

evilc66

Thanks. I learned a lot from my Dad growing up. He is a pretty skilled woodworker and always had a project of some kind going on. I was determined to do this all by myself though. I have always had a pretty good mechanical ability, and have designed many things in my career (which is pretty short so far, I'm only 28) including aluminum extrusions, machanical assemblies, castings, plastic injection molds, electrical harness designs, and now lighting systems and tank stands :lol: I've also done a lot of work with hydraulics and pneumatics too. I'm a bit of a jack of all trades.

Reefone, I have heard that arguement before about the front returns. I'll think about it a little more. I've got plenty of time to change my mind on it.

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would be nice, but it's a little hard to swallow the pricetag. If I can sell a couple of fixtures by the time I get to that point, maybe.

That would be nice, but it's a little hard to swallow the pricetag. If I can sell a couple of fixtures by the time I get to that point, maybe.

start adding up the prices of all the pieces u will need for a cl. u might be surprised at the total.

start adding up the prices of all the pieces u will need for a cl. u might be surprised at the total.

I guess you are right. I started looking around at the prices on the MP20, and it's not all that bad. I think I had originally seen the price on the MP40, and never looked back. Still, I think I can do a CL for less, but will it be as effective. That is the question.

I didnt catch that you were lighting it with LED's!!!! Impressive!

I'm just trying to get TJ to come back lol! :P

The 36" fixture I'm building as a prototype will be going over this tank.

i dont think a cl will be as effictive unless u add some kind of wave making device.

there another group buy going on for the vortecs. i may get a 3rd mp40 :D

I PM'd him on the group buy. I'll see what the price is. Unfortunately it ends at the end of the month. Don't know if I will have funds for it by then.

Evil You definetly have some skills to pay the bills. Imo this set up is going to be awesome. The frag tank idea is great. Why not continue the look with a display refugium? Leave the doors off and make it purrrrty! In the futre when I build my long term tank that is my plans. Think about it. You can house seahorses and pipefish and such in there. Just one more tank to drool over. You will NEVER get bored of things to stare at. Gl ! Keep those pics coming !! ;)

save up, sell a kid, whatever you have to do.. you'll thank me later. i promise.

Still, I think I can do a CL for less, but will it be as effective. That is the question.

no it won't unless you add a wavemaking device of some sort like reefone said (which will end up costing you as much as the vortech anyway, and will cost alot more to run). however, you still wouldn't be able to replicate the awesomeness that is vortech.

This is absolutley awesome - I've been toying with the same exacct idea and had sat and roughed out some plans. I just subscribed to this thread and tossed my plans.

I'm just here to see a pic of lighting. Is there a smiley face drawn on the USPS box labeled "computer parts"?

:lol: My wife did that. She suprised me for my birthday a few years ago with a "While You Were Out" style makeover of my office. Whole family was involved, including my father inlaw who was responsible for making my tank of a workbench. All made out of white maple (super hard) and bolted together with over two dozen 1/4" lag bolts! It will outlast my house I think. My wife was in charge of smiley faces :)

Evil You definetly have some skills to pay the bills. Imo this set up is going to be awesome. The frag tank idea is great. Why not continue the look with a display refugium? Leave the doors off and make it purrrrty! In the futre when I build my long term tank that is my plans. Think about it. You can house seahorses and pipefish and such in there. Just one more tank to drool over. You will NEVER get bored of things to stare at. Gl ! Keep those pics coming !! ;)

Thanks. I'm going to close off the sump. Don't really want to be looking at a grungy skimmer.

save up, sell a kid, whatever you have to do.. you'll thank me later. i promise.

no it won't unless you add a wavemaking device of some sort like reefone said (which will end up costing you as much as the vortech anyway, and will cost alot more to run). however, you still wouldn't be able to replicate the awesomeness that is vortech.

It's starting to look like a more sensible idea.

Damn I dig the diff staining color look. It's like every floor has a different theme. Cant wait to see the light fixture for this bad boy.

I can't wait to see the light either. I have been dreaming up this concept for a long time and finally have the chance to see it built. If you haven't seen the thread in the classifieds yet, here is what it will look like:

fixturetop.jpg

fixturebottom.jpg

fixturedetail.jpg

Here is the heatsink:

DSC_0076.jpg

Kitteh approved! It's a bit of a monster (17lbs :o). Do I need it to be this big? Probably not, but I will never have to worry about it overheating. I'm going to be using SilenX fans for airflow. These things are dead silent at 14db.

I HAZ GLASS!!!!

DSC_0087.jpg

Picked them up yesterday. Xmas gift from the wifey :) Got it early cuz there really wasn't anywhere to put them other than on the stand :lol:

40B and 30B are Aqueon tanks. The sump is a 23g tank from Great Lakes Aquariums. Anyone from the Michigan area knows these guys do good work. It's 24x18x12. I wanted a little more room at the end for additional equipment like ATO's and such, but wanted as much water volume as I could fit. The extra few inches front to back will be nice.

Only a million more things to go!!!

Ev -

Call me if you need a better price on silenx stuff. We deal direct with them. We are running the Thermistor 80mm fans and they are dead silent compared to the Vantec Thermoflows we have been testing with.

Chris

GLA has all kinds of cool and different shaped tanks that Aqueon and Oceanic don't offer. They also offer all their tanks with one or three panels of Starphire glass, and with or without overflows on most sizes. Nice bunch of guys too.

neanderthalman

Looking good Evil - nice idea for adding in a frag tank.

For the closed loop, I've got an OM super squirt on my 40B. It's absolutely amazing. Highly recommended.

The OM products are so much better than the SCWD - for one, you can open them up and clean them, swap out drums, etc. Closed loops always look much more professionaly and tidy than even a vortech, IMO.

Archived