Cultivated Reef

Evilc66's 40B

evilc66

Ok, so I have been throwing so many ideas back and forward as to what I want for a new tank, and have had a really hard time deciding what to do. Do I go big, or do I do something smaller and add a frag tank?

After browsing the Members Tanks forum, I have read many of the 40B threads from Nanoty, bdare, glennr1978, and others, and became inspired. So a plan was hatched.

I still wanted to add a frag tank, but space is limited in my office. So I thought, what if I stack everything?

In the end I came up with this.

fullaquariumassy.jpg

fullaquariumassy2.jpg

fullaquariumassy3.jpg

Frame will have the bases made from 2x4s with 3/4" ply for the top surface. Uprights will be 1x3s glued, nailed, and biscuited. After that it will be skinned with a 1/4" finish ply. Should be pretty solid once all nailed together.

Tanks will be a 40 breader for the display on the top, a 30 breader for a frag tank in the middle, and a 20H for the sump. Still not dead set on the sump, but I don't want something that is going to take up the entire bottom of the stand.

For the display, I'll be going with a closed loop, drilled through the back. Drain will be taken care of by a Glass-Holes 700gph overflow that will drain into the frag tank. Frag tank will have the same overflow that will drain into the sump, but no closed loop.

Pumps look like they will be Ocean Runner 2500 for the sump and a 6500 for the closed loop. Additional flow for the frag tank will be Koralias of some description. Skimmer might be a AquaEuro PS135. I was looking at going with an Octopus NW110, but the extra height put the display too high for what I felt was comfortable. As it sits right now, the bottom of the display is at 52", which is right at shoulder level for me. The other alternative is to put the frag tank on top and the display in the middle, but the stand obstructs the view on the corners. At least then I could put a taller skimmer in and put the display at a more conventional 36". We'll see on that one.

Lighting is going to be interesting. Frag tank is going to be a Hellolights 150W MH retro, with a Phoenix 14k. Didn't want to do too nuts on such a shallow tank and this will allow for lower light corals to sit at the edges. Display is more than likely going to be one of my LED creations (like you would expect from me :)). The only thing that would stop me from doing that is getting a killer deal on a dual 250W MH setup with actinic. Sump is going to be the usual refugium lighting. Nothing special there.

Well, thats it so far. The planning is almost all done, and I may start building the stand this weekend. Need to clean the garage first though :lol:.

So what do you think?

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jmigchelbrink

looks good, cant wait to see it in action.

just wondering if the center frag tank is a good idea. its hard enough for me to get stuff in and out of my sump. it seems like it would be hard to work on/in both the frag tank and the sump.

im assuming your going to run a chiller? it seems like the heat from the frag mh would go straight up into the display.

what is your photo period going to be? 8 hour intervals?

glenn41978, I hope I don't take as long as Nanoty did, or at least rack up as many pages before getting water into it. :lol:

jmigchelbrink, I don't see the MH for the frag tank creating that much of an issue with heating the display. Anyway, it's nothing that a few small fans pointed at the reflector won't help cure. As far as space, you probably won't even see the lamp as it will be sitting inside the base for the display tank. As a result, you have about 11" of unobstructed space to work. If it was a deeper tank, I would have made the opening bigger to work on, but seeing as a 30B is only 12" tall, I should be ok. One of the hardest things I've had to deal with is getting the display to a reasonable height, and that was one of the areas that I had to cut as much height out of as was practical.

Does anyone have any experience or have seen any feedback on the AquaEuro skimmer? It's the only thing that I'm concerned with. I have seen mantion that it is a pretty good skimmer for the money, and performs similarly to the Octopus NW110. It's rated at 135 gallons so it's oversized for this system.

Anyone have comments on the pumps? The Oceanrunners seem to be recomended quite a bit, and seem to be more consistent than the QuietOne pumps. I'm working on a budget, so this seems more economical than a Panworld or a GenX pump. The power consumption seems pretty good for the amount of water it's moving.

Also, SCWD or no? Worth the effort?

I think I found a better tank for my sump. The AquaEuro skimmer seems to have a long footprint based on the website dimensions (11" long in a 12" wide tank seems cramped). A local aquarium maker to me has a 34 gallon tank with a 24"x18" footprint (18" tall). Sounds better to me as now I don't have to rotate the skimmer 90 degrees and loose fuge space. I do loose space behind the tank though.

Gotta start modeling the plumbing here soon.

Glennr1978, Nanoty, you guys have any suggestions on the closed loop? I was thinking about putting the outputs as close to the outside edge as possible and running a leg down towards the sandbed to help get flow in the lower areas of the tank. I'll use one of those customflow tees to throttle back the flow close to the sand bed so I'm not getting a sand storm.

I hope I don't take as long as Nanoty did, or at least rack up as many pages before getting water into it. :lol:

It sucks being broke :(

:happy:

Glennr1978, Nanoty, you guys have any suggestions on the closed loop? I was thinking about putting the outputs as close to the outside edge as possible and running a leg down towards the sandbed to help get flow in the lower areas of the tank. I'll use one of those customflow tees to throttle back the flow close to the sand bed so I'm not getting a sand storm.

I'll would be more work but I like the look when the bottom is drilled and bulkhead/locline is used for CL outputs in the sandbed. A lot better looking than tubes running down the sides of the tank IMO.

Also, SCWD or no? Worth the effort?

Meh, I can't really say yay or nay. Are you looking at the 1" or 3/4"? I would save pennies for an OM squirt like Bdare.

I've seen bulkheads through the bottom before, but were you refering to having the at the front and pointing towards the rockwork, or at the back behind the rockwork?

I was leaning towards the 3/4" SCWD. I don't think I'm going to have enough flow to justify going to a 1", unless you think otherwise.

Are the OM Squirts really worth 3x the cost?

I've seen bulkheads through the bottom before, but were you refering to having the at the front and pointing towards the rockwork, or at the back behind the rockwork?

I was leaning towards the 3/4" SCWD. I don't think I'm going to have enough flow to justify going to a 1", unless you think otherwise.

Are the OM Squirts really worth 3x the cost?

I was talking about in the front pointing towards the rocks. I have heard bad things about the 3/4" one and had a 1" one for about 10 minutes. The 1" one didn't work so I sent it back and I sold the new one after I got it. I don't think it had anything to do with the SCWD as it had some packing crap jammed in it when I got it but I just like the OM squirt a lot better. I am waiting to get one to try my CL again.

Well, you know what they say about the best laid plans...

I am really looking forward to this build. I love doing DIY type stuff, but most of all I'm looking forward to having the extra room! My poor little BC14 is getting a little cramped.

• 3 weeks later...

I GOT WOOD!!!

:lol:

I picked up almost all my lumber yesterday and rough cut everything. Gonna head back over to my parents house either today or tomorrow to do some more work to it.

This has been the first oportunity to start work on it. Last week I was down in Texas for work, dodging hurricanes. Next week I'm off for training all week, so this weekend is all I have for now. :(

I did change the design slightly. The 1x3 vertical legs were changed so that they are now one piece top to bottom. I found it to be too hard to attach them securely to each level. Now the bases will be notched, and the 1x3s recesed into them. I'll get a picture up later.

• 2 months later...

Damn. Long time since I posted on this. I may just beat Glenn on time to get this tank running :)

Anyway, progress has been a little slow between work, funerals, and other "projects". But I did manage to get some good work done over the last week and a bit. Finished skinning it last weekend, and managed to get all the trim work done. The last two days were spent staining and painting. I went with a cherry stain and black trim. Sump area was decked out in Killz2 latex primer.

DSC_00810001.jpg

Still need to sort out doors for the sump, but I'll get custom oak shaker style doors made by HD.

Glass is coming for Christmas, thanks to my wonderful wife. Still a lot of work to do.

Not much more to take really. I'll see what I can do though.

Guess it goes to show I can work with more than LEDs and metal! :lol:

nice stand!

u can drill ur cl from the front bottom and from the back wall. thats how my 240 is drilled. it was designed like that by the guy from oceanmotions. but im closing the holes off and going vortec.

i ran a oceanrunner 2500 for a year with no problems.

Ok, a few more but nothing too exciting.

DSC_0082.jpg

I made the lip come in a few inches so it closed in on the tank more than just leaving the top open. There will still be a little gap around the tank when it gets up there. Should be enough height on the trim to hide the foam padding that will go underneath the tank.

DSC_0085.jpg

Used just a simple outside corner molding. I wanted a more modern feel to the stand. My wife is more into craftsman style, but I like a little modern here and there. I got free reign on this one.

With any luck I will be getting more goodies in the coming weeks. I so need this 40B. My little BC14 is running out of room fast. I'll probably have 15-20 frags of fire and ice, green bay packers, and wagon wheel zoas ready to go straight into the frag tank once it's cycled. Damn things are growing too fast and the frag rack are filled with frags that I don't have anywhere to put (and no I'm not selling those ones :)).

nice stand!

u can drill ur cl from the front bottom and from the back wall. thats how my 240 is drilled. it was designed like that by the guy from oceanmotions. but im closing the holes off and going vortec.

i ran a oceanrunner 2500 for a year with no problems.

Thanks.

I have been thinking about doing that and wondering if it's really worth the effort. I have a good plan for the closed loop setup that will allow for a good amount of varied direction, but if doing that really has benefits that make it worth while, I'll seriously consider it.

bout time u got started!!! j/k i cant wait to see this one!! ur always so well with everythin ele u do, so cant wait to see u join us with ur 40 b!!!

sweet stand!!! n great plan...i like how ur spillin the display into the frag!

good luck!!!

Hopefully it will work out well. I'm trying desperately to not have power heads in the display, so I'm going with a 1700gph pump for the closed loop. Hopefully Reeferone can shed some light on the benefits on the lower bulheads for the closed loop.

hmmmm...front bottom? maybe he has his returns in the front of the tank, hidden by rocks??

i like glens idea, with the spraybars, n overflow box, but i guess ur trying to eliminate the overflow?

what i was told is the holes were drilled in these places cause they felt it would help keep the detris in the water coloum. the returns in my back wall r about 1/2 way down and help keep the crap from settling behind the rock work.

i would like to use the cl on my tank but it has 8 returns and needs 2 power hog pumps not to mention 2 om 4ways. my electric bill is already enough as it is, so its vortecs for me :)

what i was told is the holes were drilled in these places cause they felt it would help keep the detris in the water coloum. the returns in my back wall r about 1/2 way down and help keep the crap from settling behind the rock work.

i would like to use the cl on my tank but it has 8 returns and needs 2 power hog pumps not to mention 2 om 4ways. my electric bill is already enough as it is, so its vortecs for me :)

is that what u meant though? ur returns in the front of the tank coming up through the sand?

is that what u meant though? ur returns in the front of the tank coming up through the sand?

yes. i have 4 returns in the front of the tank that come up out of the sand. they r about 2 inch from the front pain of glass. then i have 4 across the back about half way down. tank is 8'.

Ok

So I'm cruising to see what's been happening in the last few days and I see a post from our resident LED guru evil. I open up the thread and find out that in addition to being an electronic evil genius he has other mad skills as a carpenter!! :o

Looks like a great project!

Tagging along for the ride.

Cheers

NRG

Archived