Top Shelf Aquatics

Let's See Your LFS Steal

Aqua newbie

Rarest/most expensive LIVING thing in my tank is a/an...  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Rarest/Expensive

• FISH
    • CORAL
    • INVERT
    • ALGAE
    • ???

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How do you get a LPS coral to live when it's already dying-having a dying candy canes.

I didn't do a thing. I asked around and everyone said that either it was to far gone, or that I would have to feed it by hand every day. I decided to just place it right under a power head and let it be. After a few months it grew its mouth back and has been growing increasing larger ever since.

This is what it looked like about a month after I got it. So it was even worse then this at first.

dsc02557qr6.jpg

Thanks I'll give it a try with some zooplznkton-don't have cyclopeeze-want it though.

Still can't get over that button coral-never seen any in my LFS. What is their price range?

If you are going to try to feed it I say go for Marine Snow. At my LFS prices range from $50-$100, I have seen it for $30 on the internet.

I didn't do a thing. I asked around and everyone said that either it was to far gone, or that I would have to feed it by hand every day. I decided to just place it right under a power head and let it be. After a few months it grew its mouth back and has been growing increasing larger ever since.

This is what it looked like about a month after I got it. So it was even worse then this at first.

dsc02557qr6.jpg

If you are going to try to feed it I say go for Marine Snow. At my LFS prices range from $50-$100, I have seen it for $30 on the internet.

I had a bright red blasto frag that fell onto a ricordia and looked much like this pic in the aftermath. The frag was pretty much a skeleton with a smattering of brown zooanthelle left on it. It's since regenerated back to it's original glory less than 2 months later. I was for sure that head was a goner! Below is a pic of it the day it happened, it's what was the head on the right:

blasto_fight.jpg

DESERTHEATRACING

I have a ton, my LFS has a $9.99 - $29.99 section, somtimes I get things even cheaper!

$4.99

VGM.jpg

$9.99 / Has split 3 times woot!

TANKPRINCESS.JPG

$14.99

butterflyzoa.jpg

$9.99

eaters.jpg

$9.99!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mushrooms.jpg

Oh and these, $9.99!!

newzoa.jpg

Red and Green Blatomussa merletti

P6280308.jpg

Was about 4 heads when purchased for $15 at The Coral ReefFarm in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. has since grown about 2 new heads. I don't know if this is a really good price, but have seen similair blastos go for $35 for 2 heads at another lfs.

Purple and Green Ausrtailian Acanthestrea lordhowensis

P6280307.jpg

Was almost completely dead when I found it stuck between to rocks at Coral Sea Aquariums in West Palm Beach, Fl. i fed it contiunuiouslf and it is now 9 big and fluffy heads. I payed $17.50 for it, would go for over 50 in the condition it is now.

Red and Teal Ausrtailian Acanthestrea lordhowensis

P6280321.jpg

Was purchased as 8 heads on a coraline and sponge covered rock with a few majanos on it. i killed the majons the second I got an id on them and the haven't come back. The acan though has grown like mad, now over 20 heads. Payed $20 for it at Unda The Sea in Juno Beach, Fl.

Red and Green Blatomussa merletti

P6280308.jpg

Was about 4 heads when purchased for $15 at The Coral ReefFarm in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. has since grown about 2 new heads. I don't know if this is a really good price, but have seen similair blastos go for $35 for 2 heads at another lfs.

Purple and Green Ausrtailian Acanthestrea lordhowensis

P6280307.jpg

Was almost completely dead when I found it stuck between to rocks at Coral Sea Aquariums in West Palm Beach, Fl. i fed it contiunuiouslf and it is now 9 big and fluffy heads. I payed $17.50 for it, would go for over 50 in the condition it is now.

Red and Teal Ausrtailian Acanthestrea lordhowensis

P6280321.jpg

Was purchased as 8 heads on a coraline and sponge covered rock with a few majanos on it. i killed the majons the second I got an id on them and the haven't come back. The acan though has grown like mad, now over 20 heads. Payed $20 for it at Unda The Sea in Juno Beach, Fl.

all i have to say is, F U

DSCF00741.JPG

Scored this one piece of LR with a rhodactis (which split the next day) and two colonies of palys...$15 :) I also just bought a female peacock mantis shrimp (she's got one eye!) for $35 (no pics yet...)!

Got this dude for $12 at a crappy LFS near me. It was 1/2 closed and what was open was brown and ugly. Figured for $12 what the hell. It's been about 2 months and this is her:

eagleeyezoas.jpg

I just picked up another lfs steal! A 4 head aquacultured aussie prism favia for $29 at Oceans Below in North Palm Beach Florida. No pics as the lights are out.

Got this dude for $12 at a crappy LFS near me. It was 1/2 closed and what was open was brown and ugly. Figured for $12 what the hell. It's been about 2 months and this is her:

eagleeyezoas.jpg

That's beautify...

I found a coral that looks like a purple-yellow ric yuma, but not sure. It was 5 bucks. may be just a mushroom. Anyone know how to tell if it's a ric? I'll have pics later.

I know it's off topic but I didn't want to star a new thread. Is it true that blue zoas can change to a brown color under low light, cause I got some orange and blue zoas today and they began puking what looks to be algae but it's not.

I asked my LFS guy for a small piece of rock for frag gluing. I didnt use this piece and about two months later these appeared. Any guesses? They are a nice baby blue color, do not pump like most xenia but sure look like either blue xenia or anthelia. Each polyp is about the size of a mini zoo polyp.

2vud89j.jpg

Here is a Blastomussa I got for $20. Nice and a strong grower.

5ls8cl.jpg

As for things browning out in low light I think most anything can become dull in poor lighting. Mushrooms might be the least affected by poor light. Hard corals perhaps the most affected.

I just scored a 200 polyp colony of Radioactive Dragon Eyes and Whammin Watermelons for $45 at an LFS I visited for the first time.

I didn't really know what they were named just thought they were cool. I'll post pics if I learn how take a decent picture. I thought it was a good deal for whats offered in my area at LFS.

Archived