Innovative Marine Aquariums

Micro-Small Algae Remover System for Nano's: Free!

SantaMonica

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alright guys, 'nuff is 'nuff.

Apparently not in this thread 'lani. Just look at all the nonsense Mr. Monica posted in the first 22 pages.

Alright ladies and gentlemen, CM asked that the food posts be removed. I feel I may have been responsible for part of it. So, I have cleaned up the thread. Santa Monica has not broken any forum rules and has the right to post his information no matter how much I disagree with his position and lack of evidence for most of his claims. Please do not continue further attempts to get the thread closed. I suppose you could consider this a warning. Next step will likely be a time-out.

Carry on.

HecticDialectics

The skimmer industry is fighting tooth and nail to destroy him.

I just realized, wtf is with the name? "Micro-small algae remover"... What does that even mean? Micro-small is redundant, and he's even said that the bigger you can make it, the better...

I'm sure it'll just fuel his "I'm being persecuted by the mindless masses" complex. -_-

I hear ya, and I understand your scientific frustration. I left the dissenting comments in hopes that Santa Monica would see the importance of backing up his claims. Mostly, only the food comments were removed. Hope you understand.

I just realized, wtf is with the name? "Micro-small algae remover"... What does that even mean? Micro-small is redundant, and he's even said that the bigger you can make it, the better...

Micro makes it scientific. ;)

Maybe some money for advertising would help what's next marble tiles and cement/aragonite frag plug's don't work

jump on the band wagon folk's it doesn't work algae doesn't take light and inorganics to grow (sarcasm)

oh no it's DIY and all a sudden people don't know how to take responsibility for (DIY) come on people get rid of everything DIY the DIY police are out

Incoherent strawman fail, IMO.

not really it took people 20 years to find out people can use marble frag plugs inside their tank's without crashing it why is this?

maybe it has to do with other's saying it will crash their tank's

same situation here

If your so concerned about the few kink's that have to be worked out then why not help people work them out instead of writing this off as not working because so far you already have been debunked

what is your main reason?

not really it took people 20 years to find out people can use marble frag plugs inside their tank's without crashing it why is this?

same situation here

If your so concerned about the few kink's that have to be worked out then why not help people work them out instead of writing this off as not working because so far you already have been debunked

There was a recent article that indicated that marble frag plugs are not as good for your corals as say argonite or cement based frag plugs.

Here is a link to the article:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=A...76bc50abb6c232a

the main focus is on different kelvins of lighting but you will see in the discussion where they discuss further research needed to determine if marble is not the most ideal substrate for frags.

same situation here

hey dude, guess what.

im a 15 year old thats using a skimmer.

you think they PAY ME?

holy jizz if i was payed by Aqua-C for using their skimmers i would have an ENORMOUS tank...

and i also wouldnt need to sell cheato so much to get money for frags.

also...

about the "kinks"

its much easier to have a macroalgae bed that wont need to be fireproofed than a peice of toilet paper that gets water poured down it that could catch fire.

There was a recent article that indicated that marble frag plugs are not as good for your corals as say argonite or cement based frag plugs.

probably because marble isnt made in the ocean. ;)

probably because marble isnt made in the ocean. ;)

Actually it probably has more to do with it's crystalline structure "calcite" since it's basically just calcium carbonate just like aragonite which also has a crystal structure but is formed in a hexogonal form instead of rhombohedral like calcite. It's likely this difference in the crystal structures that affects how corals attach to it, not because one is made in the ocean or not. Marble can also be found in the ocean by the way since it's formed from limestone which is in turn formed by dead marine animals shells.

not really....

Yes, really. Unless you want to blame the "rock industry" for paying people to suppress information about the technique.

If your so concerned about the few kink's that have to be worked out then why not help people work them out

instead of writing this off as not working...

I haven't so much done that as initially ask some courteous questions regarding some of Mr. Monica's claims, every one of which was ignored or answered with copypasta that didn't relate to the question at all. After that, the questions got tougher since it became clear that he isn't interested in educating or disseminating information. He just wants to promote his own product and ignore/abuse others' work along the way.

Why would I spend any time helping out a guy that chooses to blame the mysterious and powerful "skimmer industry" for suppressing him instead of answering questions that help everyone including himself?

... because so far you already have been debunked

By what? His "success claims" or his misrepresentation of others' work? Perhaps I have been debunked by his ignorance of basic terminology?

I see your 1 reason and raise you 3.

- He contradicts his own claims.

- He doesn't answer anyone's "where's the proof" questions.

- He won't supply pics of any systems that he claims are managed by cyano farm alone.

- He blatantly misrepresents the work of well-known legitimate aquarists and scientists to shore up his non-evidence.

After 22 pages of that and you think he has credibility? You might as well start ignoring people like he does.

UserKtsdadOnAS-2.jpg

My personal favorite (from page 9).

Grow algae at top and consume nitrates.

Collect detritus down below and produce nitrates.

Pump water back to top and repeat.

Oh, and be careful of the lamp.

Yes, really. Unless you want to blame the "rock industry" for paying people to suppress information about the technique.

I haven't so much done that as initially ask some courteous questions regarding some of Mr. Monica's claims, every one of which was ignored or answered with copypasta that didn't relate to the question at all. After that, the questions got tougher since it became clear that he isn't interested in educating or disseminating information. He just wants to promote his own product and ignore/abuse others' work along the way.

Why would I spend any time helping out a guy that chooses to blame the mysterious and powerful "skimmer industry" for suppressing him instead of answering questions that help everyone including himself?

By what? His "success claims" or his misrepresentation of others' work? Perhaps I have been debunked by his ignorance of basic terminology?

I see your 1 reason and raise you 3.

- He contradicts his own claims.

- He doesn't answer anyone's "where's the proof" questions.

- He won't supply pics of any systems that he claims are managed by cyano farm alone.

- He blatantly misrepresents the work of well-known legitimate aquarists and scientists to shore up his non-evidence.

After 22 pages of that and you think he has credibility? You might as well start ignoring people like he does.

:bowdown:

Epix Win by Mr. Fosi, as usual.

i applaud you Mr. Fosi :D

applause.gif

Consumes nitrate/phosphate good enough for me

Let's document my failure and burned down house it's not a nano but my only skimmerless/refugeless tank with a sump

I was originally going to go with a 50G refuge draining into my sump but wanted room behind the tank

I'll start this disaster in the new year

Picture034.jpg

yikes look at that red/green algae in that gravel

Picture037.jpg

I'll probably place the ATS directly over the sump

Picture038.jpg

let's just see if it's really everything I can dream of

1 leave food in the tank

2 reduce phosphate/nitrate

3 lessen the amount of algae on the display glass

all with 4x24" t5 h.o and 750 gph pump

also wouldn't mind a shallow frag area right under the display approx 48"L x 24" W x 10-12" deep draining into the 25G sump

this is the exact ATS I'll be using any suggestion guy's on how to make it more safe?

Acrylic.jpg

should I make the sides taller and put 2 x 1200gph bulkhead drains?

or leave it the way it is?

what about attaching the light's?

because I don't want them to fall in now

what thickness of acrylic?

what kelvin bulb?

2700-3000-6500k?

I got my check from the "rock industry" just yesterday. Keep fighting the good fight!

So you want to hang screening down the center of the box? The screen suspended from a pipe into which holes have been drilled to allow the water to flow down the screen? Where will you fit this rig into your current setup?

If so, you want to keep the lights away from any water splashes/drips, probably behind some glass or acrylic. Glass would be better because you won't scratch it when you need to clean the area right in front of the lights and it won't warp/melt from being right next to the lights.

Now sure how to securely attach the lights so that it looks like the diagram without it being totally ghetto.

If you make it out of acrylic, use nothing thinner than 1/4" and bond it all with weldon (dunno the best #). Also, don't plan to mount the lights directly to the walls of the box.

I'd use 6700-10000K lamps. I would also "seed" your screen with the sort of algae you want to grow on it, instead of letting it occur "naturally". This may help to ensure that you get the algal assemblage you want. You may be able to suppress the growth of cyanobacteria by using some deep-blue lighting such as actinics, but I don't know for sure that it'd work.

HecticDialectics

4x24 T5HO and a 750gph pump?

Damn. To think, with all that sump space, you could just get an internal skimmer and remove DOCs before they even turn into nitrates and phosphates...

Archived