Pod Your Reef

[New Pics 10/24] Bonsai's LED BioCube [29g] Journal - Home Tank

Bonsai

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great Tank. I'm really liking the home for the jawfish and you take some amazing pictures! Definitely subscribed! :) Would you recommend the zoas from altisreef cause my LFS is extremely expensive and I could get 3 frags shipped from altisreef for a small colony at my LFS.

Great Tank. I'm really liking the home for the jawfish and you take some amazing pictures! Definitely subscribed! :) Would you recommend the zoas from altisreef cause my LFS is extremely expensive and I could get 3 frags shipped from altisreef for a small colony at my LFS.

I bought from Alti's Reef over a year ago -- at that time, the products and service was great.

eddiecorrea

Is the Jawfish still alive and well? In the pictures I can not find the barnacle home so Im curious.

I bought from Alti's Reef over a year ago -- at that time, the products and service was great.

Is the Jawfish still alive and well? In the pictures I can not find the barnacle home so Im curious.

You bet. He is my favorite fish!

eddiecorrea
You bet. He is my favorite fish!

Very nice.

Where the crap are the new pics?!?! lol

Very nice.

Where the crap are the new pics?!?! lol

LoL - only my Actinics are on right now, "Sun Down" is occurring on my reef at the moment :)

These Japanese Zoanthids are from my LFS: http://crazyricksonline.com

Here is a teaser pic:

japzoa01.jpg

Can you believe the frag was $10? I have three more frags, one of this same morph, two more are orange and red morphs ... this morph look like more like these when they're open under Daylights + Actinics:

Not My Frag:

notmyzoas.png

circusordie16

nice zoas, i just picked up a frag of that same morph and another red/orange japanese frag today. i really like them and i especially like the decent prices on them.

No fantastic photos of the Japanese Zoanthids yet - but here are some decent shots of other recent additions:

Huge Aussie Dendro Head - this thing is like size of a fifty cent piece.

hugedendro.jpg

Purple Death Palys

purpledeath.jpg

Nuclear Green Palys

nucleargreens.jpg

Because of you I am eyeing a blue spotted jawfish at the store here. Just got the cube and planned to set it up with sand/water/rock from the store today, but the little detail of 10+ inches of snow is holding me back haha. Anyway, how long once I put that in the tank should I cycle before I get him. I am hoping no one will buy him at $135, but he is super healthy and it's a race with time I guess, but I want to make sure I don't jump the gun. GREAT TANK setup you have.

Because of you I am eyeing a blue spotted jawfish at the store here. Just got the cube and planned to set it up with sand/water/rock from the store today, but the little detail of 10+ inches of snow is holding me back haha. Anyway, how long once I put that in the tank should I cycle before I get him. I am hoping no one will buy him at $135, but he is super healthy and it's a race with time I guess, but I want to make sure I don't jump the gun. GREAT TANK setup you have.

Thanks!

I would definitely make sure your tank is fully cycled after you set it up before adding a Blue Spotted Jawfish. I would add your Live Rock, Sand, then water and wait out the cycle. Then when the cycle is done, add your Clean up Crew - then a few weeks later, add your first fish.

I know, for instance, that my LFS holds fish for customers ... maybe you can ask your store to hold the Blue Spotted Jawfish for you while your tank cycles ... that way, you wouldn't be rushed to add him too soon.

Thanks, I did and they do for two weeks which is not a ton of time. If I bought the rock and sand and water at once that might help, but that will cost more I am sure. My thought is to go back in about two weeks, if he is still there, buy him, have him hold it for 2 weeks. This should buy me time.

Let me just thank you for this thread. It's a great resource and I learned a lot. The home for the jawfish, about intank (bummed I can't get the filter stuff now, but once he starts up again I will order all his parts) and some other resources. You and this board have been a BIIIIIIG HELP!

Here's a little treat -- a short video of my Blue Spotted Jawfish in his Barnacle+PVC Condo:

http://vimeo.com/3912774

I took this short video as a test of my new Camcorder, the DXG-595V. The colors are kind of washed out, so I have to play with the settings on it, but for a $180 camera that can do 1080P, it's not bad ;)

Nice, I may have missed this but didn't you use sugar sized sand? It looked different in the video but I may be wrong.

Originally, yes. But when I added my Blue Spotted Jawfish, I added about 1" of "Special Reef Grade" sand, which is larger than sugar sized, but not as large as crushed coral.

Is that a must for the Jawfish. I have the sugar sand in there now which is why I ask. About 25lbs maybe? Just shy of the entire bag. If I must change the sand some, did you remove any of the sugar sand or just leave it and add?

Thanks for the help again.

The video of your jawfish is awesome! crystal clear video.. What video camera do you have? any links to it? I would like to get one.

Edit: sorry just saw what camera you used.

That a good camera for 180 bucks

Is that a must for the Jawfish. I have the sugar sand in there now which is why I ask. About 25lbs maybe? Just shy of the entire bag. If I must change the sand some, did you remove any of the sugar sand or just leave it and add?

Thanks for the help again.

I left the sugar size sand, and added the chunkier stuff on the top. it works great, and my BSJF loves it.

any updates?

Unfortunately, several of my Japanese Zoa frags let go of their frag disk and are now lost in the rock work :(

The video of your jawfish is awesome! crystal clear video..

That a good camera for 180 bucks

Thanks! I agree - very cool and fun for $180.

Archived