inTank Media Baskets

[New Pics 10/24] Bonsai's LED BioCube [29g] Journal - Home Tank

Bonsai

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick update on my BC29. This week was very exciting, I finally was able to get a hold of my Blue Spotted Jawfish that I've been waiting for. He is a riot to watch, and definitely the most animated fish I have. My current fish stock level is about maxed out, I have:

• A Pair of Ocellaris Clownfish
  • A Banggai Cardinal Fish
  • A Purple Firefish
  • A Blue Spotted Jawfish

I created a Jawfish Home for the Blue Spotted Jawfish out of some 3/4" PVC and Barnacle Shells (design courtesy of stoney waters).

barnaclehouseuz3.jpg

Here are some photos of me introducing him to the tank, and making sure he tried out his new house before I let him run around the tank digging holes :) As you can see, I basically took a disposable plastic container and cut a hole in the top of it large enough for the Barnacle Shells to fit in. I put it in the tank so it floated at the top, and netted the jawfish and plopped him in. I then covered the hole, inverted the container, and placed it on top of the Barnacle home.

jawfish01eg6.jpg

jawfish02er7.jpg

My BC29 has some gutter guard on the back wall to prevent fish from jumping in the back chambers, but apparently it wasn't high enough, because this morning I found the Jawfish in the middle chamber swimming in the 1" of water that is on top of my filter floss. Oops! I carefully scooped him back to the main tank and he's happy again.

Today I bought new Gutter Guard and made sure that the fish guard now extends all the way up to the access door in the back. :)

Great looking tank and bluespot. My bluespot also ended up in the middle chamber as well, talk about scary! I have one of StevieTs' fish savers coming in. It's made for the Biocube and goes in the back. :huh:

When I look at your pic with the plastic container over him, I think of the Sponge Bob cartoon, (yes I'm a grown-up, and I like to watch it)! It reminds me of Sandy the squirrels' dome home! :lol:

Nice job Jason. I think your tank is great with stock pc bulbs. Can you give us a cluse up of that birds nest? It looks like it has colered up nicely under your pc bulbs! fingerscrossed

• 2 weeks later...

January 2009 Update

This tank is one year old! Well, this TANK isn't, but the water, live rock, coral, fish, etc, are :) I started a BC14 in January 2008, then four months ago, I moved everything to this BC29.

Anyway, here are some pics!

Front Tank Shot

jan09-001.jpg

Left Side Closeup

jan09-002.jpg

Zoanthid Rock Close Up

jan09-003.jpg

Radioactive Dragon Eye Zoas

jan09-004.jpg

Birdsnest SPS ... growing very well for being under PC Lighting!

jan09-005.jpg

Birdsnest again, you can see my huge zoa colony behind it as well as some Bam Bam zoas

jan09-006.jpg

Superman Mushrooms

jan09-007.jpg

My new Bluespotted Jawfish in his Barnacle & PVC home

jan09-008.jpg

jan09-009.jpg

jan09-010.jpg

Ricordea Close up

jan09-011.jpg

GSP

jan09-012.jpg

Wow, what an awesome idea! If I ever get a jaw fish that will be a must in my tank as well.

Pictures look great, this tank is looking better and better

u have helped me make up my mind.

im going biocube 29

you have all the corals i want in my tank and i dont wana have to buy the MH so

im going BIO

thanks for the help on the rely hard decision ive been trying to make for like 2 months now

u have helped me make up my mind.

im going biocube 29

you have all the corals i want in my tank and i dont wana have to buy the MH so

im going BIO

thanks for the help on the rely hard decision ive been trying to make for like 2 months now

You won't regret it :)

• 2 weeks later...
Great tank, Bonsai! How are your chambers set up in back of the BC29? Thanks.

Well, I just added a "StevieT" fish guard to the back of my tank to prevent my fish, especially my jawfish, from jumping to the back chambers. He did that once, and it was enough to scare the crap out of me, so it was a wise investment.

As far as chambers, I have a heater in Chamber 1, Filter Floss and Chaeto (and a light) in Chamber 2, and Chemi-Pure Elite in Chamber 3 with the stock pump.

• 3 weeks later...
Your tank rocks, I love the colour, and little guys!

Thanks! I just added more color with a frag of Nuclear Green Palys and Purple Death Palys. Once they grow out, it'll really pop.

I'm thinking about removing the large kenya tree from the left side of the tank. It is getting really large, and it looks unhealthy at the moment because I have a rogue worm who keeps picking at it. Maybe I'll replace it with some nice SPS since that is a high area ...

Great tank, Bonsai! How are your chambers set up in back of the BC29? Thanks.

Quick follow up. The Fish Saver from inTank is awesome - it fits the tank like a glove. I ordered an inTank Media Basket and an inTank Fuge Basket for this 29G BioCube!

Hopefully by the end of the week my 29G will be FULLY pimped out .. well, at least the back chambers will be. :)

Your tank looks great! I'm happy to see someone using stock lighting and able to keep things looking great like you have. I have a BC29 and don't plan on upgrading my lighting from stock. I have added several frags since I started my tank on Jan 2 and everything is doing well so far.

You are representing the great state of Michigan well!

Archived