ReefCleaners.org

75g Humboldt Bay biotope...re-done!

Mynameskenny19

Mynameskenny19

Hey guys! My dad and I are doing a 75g coldwater setup and have had it up and running for 3 months, but have been waiting for the tank to look good and the critters to settle down a bit before we posted anything.

We've checked with Fish and Game and also the university out here HSU to see if it was legal to collect critters and they said yes, so no worries about that. We built a stand for it and got almost everything we need since we're kinda short on money. The only thing we need and actually sorta want to get is a Fluval 405. Well anyways, enough of me blabbering on, lets go to the equipment and livestock lists!

Equipment:

-75g aga Black

-Millenium 3000 HOB from our 55 [glass broke so we bought the 75]

-Coralife T-5 series Double Linear Strip, 48", 10,000k daylight, Tru actinic 03

-AC 802 Powerhead

-Frozen 3-liter bottle of water to keep temp down till we get a chiller

In one of the pics you'll see a 29g sitting underneath. That's our anchovi holding tank for one of our fish since he eats an anchovi a day. We're also going to turn that into a sump/refugium sorta thing and use another one of my 29g's as a 'chovi tank.

Livestock:

-3 adult walleye perch

-7 baby walleye perch

-1 mid-size shiner perch

-2 small black rockfish

-1 mid-size blue rockfish

-1 stag horn sculpin

-2 cabezons

-2 flatheaded clingfish

-1 baby pacific halibut [shhhhhhh!]

CUC:

-20 to 25 hermits

-lots of snails

-1 baby moon snail about the size of a quarter

-5 very small red starfish but we dont know what species they are

-1 4" purple starfish that loves to eat banacles, so i collect rock for him to eat off the barnacles

And now its time for the pics! Sorry, but i lack good picture tanking skills with my own camera, so some if not all are a little blurry. Enjoy!!!

100_3302.jpg

stag horn sculpin aka the "devil fish" by my mom, eating an anchovi.

100_3307.jpg

100_3308.jpg

100_3311.jpg

100_3312.jpg

100_3313.jpg

100_3315.jpg

The Divil Fish!!!

100_3316.jpg

100_3318.jpg

one of our small red starfish and a hermit or 2 eating a dead anchovi

100_3319.jpg

100_3323.jpg

Right side tank shot

100_3324.jpg

Left side tank shot

100_3325.jpg

Left side shot again

100_3326.jpg

FTS

100_3327.jpg

FTS angled

And thats it for now. Ask questions and comment please! WIll take some more pics when we get a certain anenome that we want. Do you guys like our biotope?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mynameskenny19
DO YOU COLLECT A LOT OF YOUR STUFF FROM LIKE A TIDE POOL OR DO YOU BUY IT?

Yeah, some of the stuff I get is from a tide pool, but most of it is from the bay. Everything in there besides the fish is from the shore in the bay and the fish we caught in a slough and at our dock.

Nice, simple set-up, looks good. Your fish seem a little large for the tank though, lol. And you could use some more anemones. :)

Mynameskenny19
Nice, simple set-up, looks good. Your fish seem a little large for the tank though, lol. And you could use some more anemones. :)

Yeah, the 3 big perch are going back to the bay and the little school of babies are staying till they reach 4".

And tonight at 2 AM Im gonna wake my dad and we're at low tide to this boat ramp and get some big green anenomes. Thanks for the comments Jeremai.

on the contrary dude! I think this is a great tank, though I've never visited humboldt bay myself, its pretty natural looking. Did you guys catch those fish with hooks and such or did you just nab em out of the water ;)?

Yay for coldwater! Maybe a stupid question, but where is humboldt bay? And I agree with Jeremai, less fish, more anemones! A very good start so far.

-Jamie

Mynameskenny19

thanks guys!

on the contrary dude! I think this is a great tank, though I've never visited humboldt bay myself, its pretty natural looking. Did you guys catch those fish with hooks and such or did you just nab em out of the water ;)?

Yeah, we caught all the fish with hook and line. Try fishing some day with a "sabiki". They are the BEST jig to catch almost any kind of bait fish you could want! Six hooks with lil beads and fish skin feathers on them.

Jig up and down in a school and you'll catch 6 fish at once! But the bad side was we had to treat the fish in our quarantine tank for a few days to let the hook wounds heals.

Yay for coldwater! Maybe a stupid question, but where is humboldt bay? And I agree with Jeremai, less fish, more anemones! A very good start so far.

-Jamie

Humboldt Bay is the 2nd largest natural bay in California and it has 2 peninsulas separating it from the ocean.

I live in Samoa, which is a small privately owned town on the southern end of the northern peninsula. My boss owns the town. It's pretty cool. Anyhoo, sorry for getting off topic. Earlier we went to Petco and baught the largest net so we could get the 3 large walleye perch out. It worked. Man, those were some tasty perch! lol

They were big enough to eat and we had 3 of them and the bay is a mile from our house, so we cooked em up and ate them. Sorry if I sound barbaric. We're setting up another 75g as an aquaculture tank in a few months when our money situation gets all sttled down again.

Mynameskenny19
EATING PET FISH FTW!!!

whats FTW mean?

and so, everything in that tank is edible and my dad wanted it to be an aquaculture tank to begin with so we can stock our house with fresh seafood, but i convinced him to not do so. Glad I did, cuz this tank is awesome! BUt hey, we solved the "too many fish" problem and our hunger problem at the same time! lol

Mynameskenny19

Thanks Toomin man! or woman...

Anyhoo, pics will be up in a few minutes. Hope you didnt go to bed already :o

Ok, sorry, but there seems to be a problem with my potobucket account. New pics will be up soon, but probably tomorrow since its 1:07 am.

I think the tank looks cool. It could use a background and some more rocks, in my opinion. Fresh seafood and entertainment!

Mynameskenny19

New pics are here! Yeah, last night around 2 am, we went to the bay at an extreme low tide and got some more Caulerpa and other types of macro. We also got around 40 more anenomes! Thanks for lettin me know about the other uses of a credit card jeremai. As you might notice in our pics, the "devil fish" lol is the centerpiece fish in our tank. When you look at him from different angles, his eyes change color!!!

Anyhoo, here's the pics!

FTS

100_3343.jpg

Some macro

100_3345.jpg

Devil Fish

100_3342.jpg

Others

100_3341.jpg

Agnle Shot of right side corner

100_3340.jpg

CLose up

100_3339.jpg

New anenome!

100_3338.jpg

Our sand sculpin

100_3337.jpg

New "hang out" for critters

100_3336.jpg

100_3335.jpg

Hope you enjoy!

Mynameskenny19
I'm amazed. Where is this bay? A stingray would be cool as well, but might eat your fish. Great job.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humboldt_Bay_(United_States)

A stingray would be too big for our tank and even if we got a baby Bat Ray around 4 inches diameter, it would be too fast paced and would need a large sandy bottom. And thanks for the comment!

Hey everybody, we went fishing earlier so we could get some food for the devil fish such as anchovies.

We got some jellyfish too!!! Is there anyway to identify what species they are???

Sick tank man... I love biotopes. My parents have a Monterey Bay biotope its dope... Humboldt county is off the hook too man.. love that place....

Mynameskenny19

Thanks man! Do you happen to have a thread on your parents Monterey tank? Oh and we get all of our stuff from mainly Samoa and some of the stuff from Eureka. Ill take some more pics later. We have the awesome sponge that i got from a dock too. Its edge is outlined in a fire red color and the body is orange with black dots.

Mynameskenny19

Damn, that sucks man! Is it anything like my tank??? Oh and one of our jellyfish keeps swimming around and getting stuck on our filter's intake. You know of any way to prevent this?? Maybe some tube with holes in around the intake tube of our filter? If not, then im just going to transfer him to my 20g long upstairs.

Archived