ReefCleaners.org

Cubans 3G Picotope

TheCuban1040

TheCuban1040

Well, my AP24 is on the brink of being full... but I'm not done getting new stuff so... new tank! I have wanted to set up a pico for a while now. They are so cheap and you can pretty much put them anywhere so when I was placing an order for salt I thought, what the heck. I got the JBJ mainly because it was on sale, and I knew that I was going to be upgrading the light anyways so that little 9W thing didn't bother me. I went with the 36W Current dual CF fixture and it fits the tank perfectly. I plan on sticking with my 'simple is better' principle with this tank and using nothing but filter floss in the stock HOB as filtration. I also packed the tank full of LR that I have had curing for a long time so that should cover all of my filtration needs.

Here is it on the day of it's birth (before the new light was on it):

fts080620si5.jpg

fts080620si5.9fc497136e.jpg

Let me know what you think

Looks like you're off to a great start bro! If this SOB turns out anything like your bigger tank... DAMN!

TheCuban1040

Thanks everyone! I was kinda lazy starting this thread... that picture was from about 3 weeks ago...

Here is a pic I just took right now with the new Green Clown Goby and Torch that I just picked up today:

fts080712gh8.jpg

I'm just letting everyone settle in for a while before I glue them down in their permanent positions.

el fabuloso

Great start! I love the rock work with all the coralline. How do you like the Dual Satellite? Do you plan on keeping the stock HOB filter? I can tell this is gonna be an awesome little pico.

TheCuban1040
Great start! I love the rock work with all the coralline. How do you like the Dual Satellite? Do you plan on keeping the stock HOB filter? I can tell this is gonna be an awesome little pico.

Hey, thanks Fab! I'm loving the new light. How is that Monti Cap that you have in your tank doing? I was wondering what kinda limitations I have with this light as far as SPS goes. I want to make this tank mainly LPS and Yumas but your Cap looks sweet in there.

I'm planning on sticking with the stock filter. Since I'm only keeping LPS current shouldn't be a real issue. As far as fish go I'm only going to have the one Green Clown Goby, and I already have a bunch of inverts so there shouldn't be any food left-overs to worry about. We'll see how it goes...

el fabuloso

I'm glad the light is working for you. The Monti cap. in my tank is actually holding up pretty nicely. I don't know how other types of SPS would do but it's definitely tempting to find out. You won't have any problems with LPS which my blasto, galaxea and orange fungia can attest to.

IME, the stock filter doesn't provide enough circulation and you end up with a lot of dead spots. So I ended up adding a Rio 50 powerhead to add more flow. Just check for yourself and figure out what works for you.

• 3 months later...

It's been a while! Here is a photo update. I also just placed another order with Mr. Coral so I look forward to taking some new pics once that stuff arrives.

081111FTSWide.jpg

081111FTS.jpg

BTW, I got that Scoly on the cheap from my LFS. I guess half of it had been buried in the sand or something so I'm slowly but surely nursing it back to glorious health.

Let me know what you think!

new totm. It's so pretty, especially the neon trumpet

Wow, thanks Clown. It's not quite finished yet... well, no tank is ever 'finished', but I've still got a ways to go before this tank is "El Fabuloso" status. ;)

A Rangers fan from Jersey huh? Looks like that'll be a good choice this year.

:blush: Thanks Lani! I have secretly been building the pico for a while. Had to make sure she was ready to be seen next to pico all-stars like yours.

Wow, thanks Clown. It's not quite finished yet... well, no tank is ever 'finished', but I've still got a ways to go before this tank is "El Fabuloso" status. ;)

That tank is already fabulous! I love your aquascaping, looks just like your big tank. And you're right, a tank is never finished I'm still trying to figure out what else I can cram into it. :lol:

Do you plan on getting some sexy shrimps? You should do it! :D

Archived