Pod Your Reef

UNOFFICIAL SUN CORAL/DENDRO/RHYZO THREAD

abe

Oneslowsaleen

I ordered a fat head Dendro along with two zoa frags from cherrycorals, they are holding them for two weeks by than my tank will be over a month old.

post-88869-0-18038400-1443891525_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

Anyone have an id for this? I noticed when I got this sun coral frag there was a side with some flat fluorescent green circles on it, this is what they look like happy. I see that aip I tried to glue moved to the bottom of the frag too. I can't really tell if they are bothering the sun coral or not, they are half dead anyways.

6EB835A6-8FCF-4402-8513-376D279FA5D3_zps

jedimasterben

Anyone have an id for this? I noticed when I got this sun coral frag there was a side with some flat fluorescent green circles on it, this is what they look like happy. I see that aip I tried to glue moved to the bottom of the frag too. I can't really tell if they are bothering the sun coral or not, they are half dead anyways.

6EB835A6-8FCF-4402-8513-376D279FA5D3_zps

Look kinda like 'hidden cup' corals.

Qckwzrd where are you getting your blackworms?

Very nice look sun corals. Thanks for sharing.

Barry

Thank you. I get them from a Petland Discounts. I feed them marine pellets and also add selcon right before feeding.

Oneslowsaleen

So I got a just about dead sun coral today , at the LFS. They gave it to me for nothing . I think it maybe salvageable if I frag it . Let me know what you guys think.

post-88869-0-55928500-1444707143_thumb.jpeg

post-88869-0-84068300-1444707155_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Fill a Tupperware container with tank water and blended seafood slurry. Place the coral in this food smorgasbord and hope for the best. If the polyps extend, feed target feed them. If the coral does not respond within 30 minutes, place the coral back into the aquarium and try again later. I would to this for a week or so.

Barry

• Like 3

+1 to above. Bet we got ours from the same LFS to save. After doing the above for a few weeks mine is doing great (knock on wood) and opens during the day to be fed.

Here he was in his tupperware. I found it was less stressful to just leave him in it and take it in and out of the tank rather than handling it to get in in and out on its own each day. Hated the tub in the tank look but it was only for a few weeks.

post-74710-0-94353000-1444762636_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
Oneslowsaleen

I'm a noob so don't mind my stupid ideas at times lol. I took him and put him in a container with a smorgasbord of food coral frenzy ,mysis shrimp, blood worms and he one of the polyps extended , so I put some blood worms rite on top and let him sit there for about 30 mins , super excited hoping I can save him . Than when I put him back in my tank I turned off my circulation and dumped a little of the smorgasbord in the tank over him another small polyp extended. To add to the excitement my tiger pistol shrimp come out of the rocks to grab some food .

+1 to above. Bet we got ours from the same LFS to save. After doing the above for a few weeks mine is doing great (knock on wood) and opens during the day to be fed.Here he was in his tupperware. I found it was less stressful to just leave him in it and take it in and out of the tank rather than handling it to get in in and out on its own each day. Hated the tub in the tank look but it was only for a few weeks.

I'm going go this route instead of taking him out everyday

• Like 1

That's great - mine didn't extend any polyps for a week until someone here suggested the tupperware idea. Mine had a bit more flesh in between the heads, but had receded completely on one side and the flesh between the heads was flaking badly. I feed mysis almost every day, soaked in Selcon once or twice a week and asd coral gumbo once in a while. So keep up the good work - I have had mine 2 months and it is forming a bunch of new heads now.

Not at all - love seeing yours. Where do you get all the different ones?

Thanks! I manage a LFS and sometimes I'm able to get certain corals from our Saltwater supplier. Its difficult with suncorals and dendros because of the different types and no way to actually tell the difference. Also the sizes vary A LOT.

• Like 1
Oneslowsaleen

Day 2 for sun coral that I saved from LFS and my fat head Dendros arrived. I spot fed the Dendro he ate with in 20 minutes of being in the tank, and the sun coral really suprised me .

post-88869-0-40016800-1444863734_thumb.jpeg

post-88869-0-36288200-1444863747_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Getting a couple of Dendros today along with a 3 headed sun coral frag in a order I placed. Will post some pics when they arrive. Have had sun corals in past tanks but this will be the first dendro have always wanted one.

Here is a pic of one of them it is a Balano AussieBalano-RetailPrice50SALEPRICE20_zp

• Like 1

Well sun polyps opened up right away...........

Waiting to see on the Dendros......Fed the acans and sun polyps tonight but nothing from the Dendros.....