Coral Vue Hydros

DIY Overflow Out of PVC Piping

noirlotus

So I have been looking through various threads on what people have done in terms of making overflows to fit inside tanks that aren't drilled. I did see one that had a diagram of one setup that looked just like one pvc pipe going from the tank to a sump, but inside the piping in the tank were more smaller pipes creating the overflow part. If anyone knows about said thread or knows what I am talking about and could give me some help that would be great.

The original plans that I saw and still am looking for looked slightly similar to this: http://www.reefcorner.org/diy/overflows/overflow.htm. The second diagram shows what I think is a smaller pvc pipe resting inside a larger one. The original plans that I saw were much more detailed and had the piping split up more. Is this a good route? Thanks for everyone's help so far and I have been checking through a lot of threads and different sites.

Yes that looks very similar. The pic I saw was more like a rendering or drawing from the profile. Do you have any more info about this setup? Thanks.

That looks interesting but might take up too much room overall. Hmm....

i had the one daemonfly posted in my 10g (well one half of it) and it works... but it is big and bulky

I used the same one for about 30 minutes...then drilled my tank...too big...too bulky and just butt ugly...

DSCN1119.JPG

hmmmm....

$15 for that huge peice of ugly PVC

or

$25 for a nice drilled tank with bulkhead and DIY overflow

Seriously depending on what tank you have a hole should only cost $10. the bulkhead $7, and the acrylic for the overflow $8 (with silicon).

Plus with the "pvc pretzel" you would have to prime it every time the main pump goes out.

For all that mess inside your tank I would just fork over about $50 and get the Eshopps HOB overflow....they are thin profiled and the inside box is made of black acrylic.

hmmmm....

$15 for that huge peice of ugly PVC

or

$25 for a nice drilled tank with bulkhead and DIY overflow

Seriously depending on what tank you have a hole should only cost $10. the bulkhead $7, and the acrylic for the overflow $8 (with silicon).

Plus with the "pvc pretzel" you would have to prime it every time the main pump goes out.

No, the proper design was a proper prime-less overflow. It's just ugly as ######.

Drill, get a commercial overflow, or since this is the DIY section, build your own. http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/overflow.htm has a good "basics" write-up on how to design a no-siphon-loss overflow.

Does anyone have anymore info about overflows along these lines (link above)?

Bump. Ideas? I'm looking for the design that looks like one single pipe in the display area... Thanks.

i dont know that i would try something like that... get your self a proper U tube on there for a quick improvement over what is pictured... but in all honesty i would just drill your tank or get a prebought one for the peace of mind... DIY pvc overflows like that are always a gamble... i probably spent enough to buy a nice one after all my trials with pvc overflows... after my trials i couldnt recomend any pvc contraptions, buy one or drill your tank

ah, i have no other information on it really... it was just something i whipped up for one of my freshwater tanks with leftover bits from my skimmer.

it works great, but to get the flow you'd want for a salt you'd need more than one, or to make it of larger dia tubing than the .5" into 1.5" into the 3" inch i have pictured. it worked for me since i only had an 120gph pump working 2' against gravity to do the job.

it isnt very complex. water gets siphoned out of the main tank by the u-tube, into the first peice of PVC. the tallest point of which will be the lowest you want your water level to get inside the tank. the water that overflows the 1.5" pvc will then be caught in the larger 3" pvc piece and drained out of the hole in the bottom.

Archived