Pod Your Reef

The Official way to Dip and Acclimate SPS

Pship

good dip but most people wouldnt know how to get or beable to get interceptor which in my opinion is one of the key components of that mixture there.

You can print out info from online as to how interceptor treats red bugs and take it to the vet, about half of them will give you a prescription. I imagine you can call in advance and see...

That is exactly what the toothbrush is for, if there are any eggs they will be brushed away and left in the dip to stay out of the tank for good :)

Oh btw the last two pics of the corals were taken inside the tank underwater with my new Olympus Stylus 1030SW waterproof, shockproof, crushproof, and freezeproof camera :-D I love it!!!!

This is a good guide, can't wait till I can add some corals to my cube. I've got the 850SW by Olympus, it's an amazing camera. There may be a slight bit of quality lost to all of the ruggedness on my model though. I heard the 1030s took much better shots though. I have got some amazing pictures so far though, can't wait for summer to try more underwater shots.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No worries, with soft corals you can just temperature acclimate and toss into your tank as well, although you do want to qt or check zoanthids for nudis.

Edited by organism
  • 6 months later...

You don't want to use the whole thing for a dip...it IS enough for 200 gallons....I crushed a tablet and keep it in a WELL MARKED pill bottle. I generally use a Salifert test kit spoon full for a dip....

Melev recommends 12 hours for an Interceptor dip...that's what I go with....

I don't do any kind of dripping to acclimate, just float the bag in the QT and then dip and place....after a week I search them all over with my Jeweler's Loup and if they pass the inspection, in they go!!!!

ok, I found this on his website: Always treat new coral arrivals (from hobbyists or your LFS) with an Interceptor bath for at least 6 hours to keep your reef red bug free.

So that means I need a second small tank, and using water taken out of the target tank, leave whatever I purchase in that QT tank for 6 to 12 hours?

• Like 1

That's the minimum....I was discussing prevention with him a few weeks ago and he said 12 hours is really the optimum, but it is still a good idea to quarantine for at least 5 days and repeat the dip in case any new babies come along. 5 days is supposed to be their life cycle....

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

this is definately NOT the offical way to acclimate sps. This method is way more complicated than needs to be. first off inceptor should never be used unless having to! Why go through all of these steps then quarentine your frags or corals. quarentine is made for this exact purpose, for being able to observe pest ( i use a mignifying glass) after week or two If no pest are present then your good to go..I always begin with revive on corals before i quarentine them, ALWAYS. If you notice pest within that week, then you would take action. If you have flatworms use pro-coral cure. if you have red bug use inceptor. why doce them all at the same time and put your sps through all that damage when it may or may not even have anything wrong with them. a toothbrush should NEVER be used unless you are cleaning a frag plug not for cleaning frags. This method is destined for money wastde and your sps dieing.

This is not meant to put down anybody but rather help people from making deadly mistakes

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
nathanq.inc
this is definately NOT the offical way to acclimate sps. This method is way more complicated than needs to be. first off inceptor should never be used unless having to! Why go through all of these steps then quarentine your frags or corals. quarentine is made for this exact purpose, for being able to observe pest ( i use a mignifying glass) after week or two If no pest are present then your good to go..I always begin with revive on corals before i quarentine them, ALWAYS. If you notice pest within that week, then you would take action. If you have flatworms use pro-coral cure. if you have red bug use inceptor. why doce them all at the same time and put your sps through all that damage when it may or may not even have anything wrong with them. a toothbrush should NEVER be used unless you are cleaning a frag plug not for cleaning frags. This method is destined for money wastde and your sps dieing.

This is not meant to put down anybody but rather help people from making deadly mistakes

I agree with the above statement 100%

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Advice I hear is generally to receive corals, inspect them, clean off eggs/bugs/etc if need be. Dip them in Coral RX as per instructions. Put them in a quarantine tank for a while, then dip them in Rx again and rinse in a bucket of tankwater again before introducing them to your display tank.

But most people just dip and then stick them straight into the display.

Supposedly would be a good idea to do a slow drip acclimation them before you put them in the coral Rx dip though.

I'm not sure how much ammonia might be produced by coral during shipping, but if there is any then you appropriate precautions should be taken to ensure that when co2 drops and oxygen levels rise the ammonia won't become toxic when the water's ph rises. Are Amquel or other ammonia neutralizers coral safe?

From what I read, Coral Rx which is made from some tree tea oils or something is the most effective dip with the least side effects, and much better than the iodine based solutions. There is another similar product made by someone else, perhaps Two Little Fishies, but I'd need to check that to make sure.

Edited by Mxx
  • 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 2 months later...