Pod Your Reef

How to get rid of cyano bacteria?

maydodo

It'll help... Until you turn it back on.

How old is your tank, what do you have in it and what do you feed them?

IME, cyanobacteria is a symptom of other issues.

chvynva916
It'll help... Until you turn it back on.

How old is your tank, what do you have in it and what do you feed them?

IME, cyanobacteria is a symptom of other issues.

+1. Cyanobacteria is an aesthetically displeasing symptom of something else. Something is wrong in your stocking/cycling/feeding/filtering/etc. that is causing a nutrient load greater than your tank can handle. What are your tank's parameters? How old is it? What's the stocking like? What's the filtration like?

jamesnmandy

or just give it time to mature and it will take care of itself if it's not WAY WAY off

one example of how you can get it, i recently decided to try water out of the machine at walmart, it's supposed to be RO filtered, DI filtered, UV treated, the whole nine yards....but after using three gallons to top off i got some cyano that popped up on the sand bed suddenly....switched back to the walmart distilled pre-bottled water and it slowly went away....there was something in that water

My tank is 29g 4 months old with 2 clown fish, 3 green chromis,10 hermit crabs, 10 snails, 5 Astrea snails, about 12 little corals. I use NSW from my LFS and top off with RO or distilled water. I feed them twice a week. I have hang on refugium full of chateo and one mangrove. Bak pak 2R is my skimmer. 30 pounds of live rocks, 40 pounds of live sands since I siphon it out it's about 20 left. I have this cyano for a month and try to do water change and siphon it out but it seems it's never stop coming back.

Water flow is with maxi jet 1200, maxi jet 600 and Koralia 1.

I feed them with frozen cyclo-eeze or mysis shrimp.

Thanks for helping, I am very tired of it. I try not to use chemical.

stoney waters

I have had bouts with it in every tank I have ever had. It would appear at 2 or 4 months and disappear after a month or two. I never changed husbandry, it just seemed to be part of the maturing of the tank.

My tank is about 4 months old as well, and I have this problem too! It's red and a greenish color! Hopefully it will just fade away as part of the maturing tank.

I had it BAD in my newer tank.

Used Chemi Clean (Follow the directions, use a little less and use an airstone and pump) along with lights out for 48 hours over Memorial Day weekend.

Cleared it right up. Amazing stuff.

My tank is 29g 4 months old with 2 clown fish, 3 green chromis,10 hermit crabs, 10 snails, 5 Astrea snails, about 12 little corals.

Very young, moderately-heavily stocked.

I use NSW from my LFS and top off with RO or distilled water.

Have you tested the NSW for PO4 or other nutrients? NSW does not equal nutrient-free in some cases.

I have hang on refugium full of chateo and one mangrove.

How're they growing? Slow, fast?

I feed them with frozen cyclo-eeze or mysis shrimp.

Do you thaw and strain the mysis before you feed? The juice that frozen foods are frozen in is a common source of nutrients for nuisance algae.

I had it BAD in my newer tank.

Used Chemi Clean (Follow the directions, use a little less and use an airstone and pump) along with lights out for 48 hours over Memorial Day weekend.

Cleared it right up. Amazing stuff.

How about the refugium do I need to turn it off? Do you have fishes and corals when you treat it with chemi clean?

Very young, moderately-heavily stocked.

Have you tested the NSW for PO4 or other nutrients? NSW does not equal nutrient-free in some cases.

How're they growing? Slow, fast?

Do you thaw and strain the mysis before you feed? The juice that frozen foods are frozen in is a common source of nutrients for nuisance algae.

The fish store test NSW before selling it but I don't know what does he test. I didn't strain the mysis before I feed them, may be it's a problem. I will follow what you said. Thank you so much.

eklikewhoa

From my understanding....

Everything stays on except for skimmer and ozonizer if you are running them...make sure you have good aeration via surface agitation of airstone...does the volume of water in the tank not what it is suppose to hold(i.e.compensate for loss of volume through LR/LS) after 48hrs do a 20% water change....then repeat for a second dose to make sure it is gone.

holdorf333

Pay attention to what Fosi is saying. Generally, high phosphates combined with low-flow in the area make for easy cyano in a newer tank. Figure out where the excess nutrients are coming from, and go from there. Don't start messing with chemicals or lighting schedules.

edit: correction

Archived