Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Johnrs 30 cube build

johnr2604

Ok so about a month ago I decided to set up a new tank. I was originally going to build a 30long but didn't want to invest in dual halide fixture. So I decide on a 30 cube. I picked up oceanic with a 1" bulhead drilled then had 2 more drilled. I have built the stand and aquired most the parts so here is where I am at.

post-34850-1210781323_thumb.jpg

post-34850-1210781429_thumb.jpg

post-34850-1210781444_thumb.jpg

post-34850-1210781462_thumb.jpg

Agreed, good start. So you are going with a single 1" overflow, and 2 x 1" returns?
Yes, I am running bulkheads with a 3/4 nipple on the returns and a SCWD. I am running a mag 5 so the single overflow will be enough. I also decided to go with 1" because it leaves my options open later for a cls if I want.

Looks good, I'm in the process of setting up a similar tank.
I found your thread a couple of weeks ago. very nice setup

I built a different skimmer than the one pictured above. I just decided I wanted more room and could achive this by not going all the way to the bottom. I Also installed my bulkheads and will be plumbing tonight. Even though the bulkheads are 1" all the return plumbing is 3/4. I also picked up a SCWD st my LFS yesterday along with some locline

post-34850-1211072913_thumb.jpg

Awesome, congratulations. That was fast!
Thanks, I was well motivated. I still need to get my doors on and do a few things.

I got my skimmer up and running tonight. This is a pic of the sump. The sump is temporary and I will be building an acrylic sump.

post-34850-1211253974_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Sorry I havn't been on in a while. I ditched the rubermaid sump and went with a prebuilt. I now have 2 Korallia ones in there. Everything is doing good and its starting to look like a reef tank.

fulltankshot001.jpg

oceaniccubebuild035jpgint-1.jpg

I don't know how I missed this thread the first time around, but I'm definitely following it now. Looks great so far!

• 2 weeks later...

OK I am taking down my other tank in preperation for another build. I stuck all the corals I am keeping in my 30 cube. After I found places for everything I actually like the look and will probably leave evrything in here and start fresh on my other build. Cant wait till everything starts filling in.

othercard153.jpg

othercard171.jpg

othercard163.jpg

Still being lazy about setting up my fuge. I have decided to set another tank next to the sump and plumb it in for a pump chamber. I am going to use the old pump chamber for a fuge. I am evaporating about a gallon a day and the current pump chamber only holds about 2g. So I am topping off daily. I figure if I add another 5g pump chamber I will have to top off less plus give myself room for more equipment. Anyway here are some livestock picks I took. the first one I picked up yesterday at my LFS. I saw it and couldn't resist.

othercard184.jpg

oceaniccubebuild050jpgint-3.jpg

oceaniccubebuild072-1.jpg

oceaniccubebuild043jpgint.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Ok i finally got around to setting up my fuge. I picked up a drilled 2.5g and a minijet pump from a local LFS that is going out of business. Lets just say I got the stuff cheap. I just built a shelf and am running it just like any reef ready tank just on a small scale.

othercard046.jpg

othercard047-1.jpg

othercard056.jpg

Your tank looks great, good job. Mine however, isn't going to happen afterall. It's still set up and running, but I've run into too many road blocks and don't have any intentions of going any further with the build. I'm going to build a 40 breeder frag tank instead.

Great tank. I've been debating a "cube vs bookshelf" style tank as an upgrade for my 10 for a long time. Chalk up another point for the cube column.

Thanks guys, I will be cleaning up the wiring today. I got a 8 channel DJ power center in a group buy with my local reef club now I have to figure out where to put it. Hey Glenn, great minds think alike. Can you guess what my next build is gonna be?

Archived