ReefCleaners.org

42 Gallon Hexagon

Rocket

Well I can't believe this. My Emerald Mythrax Crab ate my Tang. I woke up on Black friday early to go out deal hunting and what do I see in my tank! Well that would be my giant Crab (4'') holding my Just purchased Hippo Tang in its left claw. With it's right claw it was ripping out pieces of Tang and eating it.

The fish was not twitching so I figured it was dead already. I let the crab eat the rest of the Tang, figure this is how life is in the real world.

WTF...

Looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing your sump building project - it will come in handy for me if I get brave enough to try it myself!

Anna :)

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight I was checking on how the prices where doing with my Tonga Lalo LR. Guess what, the exportation of Tonga of any kind is prohibited now. My LR just quadrupled in value!!! Sweetness. Now I truly have something that others cannot get.

I feel special.

I believe it to be a calcium based Purple Algae. It is very stiff and breaks off easily. I've never seen it in another tank before though. These rocks are Lalo. So maybe that is why. Nothing eats it or bothers it and it gives a nice filler look to the tank so I never touched the stuff.

I don't know for sure and N-R.com was not able to identify it.

EDIT: Don't mind the GHA I've been battling it for a month or so. It is slowly dieing off.

• 1 month later...

Update:

Couple of days ago i found my emerald crab munching on my lawnmower blenny. Now I am back to my original fish stocking. Not going to add any more fish for a while. Saturday is the big move. This tank will be dismantled and useful parts will be added to the125. Other parts will remain in storage until I get my Quarantine tank setup.

I finally gave up on my green bubble coral and tossed it. The next day half of my GHA was dead and clinging to my vortech. I presume the bubble coral had died long ago and it was the sole reason for my GHA problems. The green hair algae is almost gone. after 3 months of battling it. wow... wish I would have done that sooner.

January 31st is the big move day. I have about 100 gallons of RO/DI water stored and am working on securing storage for an additional 50.

I will take a huge amount of photos of my tank on the last day. Will post a few here.

• 3 weeks later...

Until I decide what to do with this tank, I have set it up once again, but not as a aquarium! It looks spectacular at night. Really impressive when I have guests over.

3305194782_9b75c546d3_b.jpg

3305195650_8f96daa2a2_b.jpg

• 1 year later...

Archived