• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• calvin415

• jerzsky

• Boomboy

• lakshwadeep

how far till it fills?

how much salt are u gonna have? get a pic of your salt or something as it goes in :D i dont think ill see that much salt in one place for a while

A long ways... I'm thinking days. :( Salt will take about a bucket I'm guessing. Not too bad, I have a friend that orders his buckets of salt by the pallet. ;) That's a site to see. :D

Don't you wish you had started filling it sooner?

Hee hee

Looking good!

Yeah, but I prefer the Heinz method. ;) (for those who are too young to remember, "Good things come to those who wait")...

Don't get me worng I think it's an amazing tank. I really think I have some mild OCD sometimes...

Every tank I have had has looked like it was stocked by Noah. 2 of everything... Tryin hard to kick that habit..

Faster membrane less efficient.

Great to see RO water hitting the tank. I know you have some of the dry LR. What seeder rock are you going to use. Also what, if any, kind of sand have you decided. And how are the t-5 lights coming?

Looking good,

Don't get me worng I think it's an amazing tank. I really think I have some mild OCD sometimes...

Every tank I have had has looked like it was stocked by Noah. 2 of everything... Tryin hard to kick that habit..

LOL! ;)

dont you only need to fill it like half to 3/4 since you didnt add any sand, LR etc in it? id say sooner then 4 days if that first pic of water was only 4 hrs

Yes and No, I need to fill it so I can test the entire water flow setup, but I will have to remove some water due to displacement when I add the rock and sand.

^ dont forget he has the sump and fuge underneath that to fill as well

Yep.

what gpd ro/di r u using....cant u up the membrane so we dont have to wait so long???? :P

It's rated at 100 GPD, but here in Colorado the water coming through the pipes is COLD!!!! I don't want to split my water flow from Hot and Cold so I'll just have to live with it.

Faster membrane less efficient.

Great to see RO water hitting the tank. I know you have some of the dry LR. What seeder rock are you going to use. Also what, if any, kind of sand have you decided. And how are the t-5 lights coming?

Looking good,

I'll probably just grab some rubble from my Dad's fuge to help seed it. Sand will be fine aragonite. Lights are just sitting in a closet right now just waiting for the pendant to be built.

yes..yes! lighting??? whats doin wit dat?

Just waiting on the time and funds to get the pendant built. I figure I have at least 4-6 weeks before the tank will need light so I should be good. :D

I got home tonight to this much water... Putting my average flow from the RO/DI at about 24 GPD. Not very good, but that's 35 gallons (280lbs) I didn't have to move, lift, pour, and risk spilling, by myself. ;)

DSCN4554.jpg

Still not enough to keep the CL from sucking in air, but enough to give it a little bit of a test... It will still suck enough air to break the flow a bit, but for the most part I think the flow will be great, at least in the lower half of the tank. ;)

Sorry if some heads look like they flow a little less than others, they all flow the same; it's just the air getting into the pump and killing the flow when filmed.

th_DSCN4555.jpg

From above:

th_DSCN4557.jpg

where r u getting ur rock from?

im sure u know but u can get a 5g bucket with some water and a heater. put the water input line in the bucket to help heat up the incoming water. that is if u have enough slack in ur feed line.

Edited by reefone
FINALLY SOME WATER...thought I might be horizontal before you got to this point!

Mark

p.s. Best tank I have seen, regardless of size.

Gee thanks... ;) I appreciate the feedback.

Nice to see water in the tank.

Thanks! It will look so much better once there is rock and sand though. ;)

Wow, that thing is going to be a whirlpool when you finally get it filled! That's gonna take a lotta live rock :o lol

Oh yeah, I think I might have to reduce the flow a little, check out the new videos below... I've got 150lbs of dry fiji in the garage waiting for it to warm up so I can clean it off and build my rockscape. The high today was at midnight last night (13*) and it's currently 9* and snowing so it's not going to get any attention today. Too bad my wife would kill me if I used the tub... :(

where r u getting ur rock from?

im sure u know but u can get a 5g bucket with some water and a heater. put the water input line in the bucket to help heat up the incoming water. that is if u have enough slack in ur feed line.

Picked it up from a local, it's mostly Fiji (150lbs dry) so it should be enough. As for the temp of the feed line, yeah I could try to heat it up, but I'm really in no hurry. Sure I wish I could have it filled in a day, but with the cold, there really isn't anything else I can do right now.

Tagging along. Cannot wait to see this in action. ;)

Thanks! I can't wait either!

Well the water level is rising (no matter how slow it might be) but I'm able to get a better test on the closed loop, I think I might end up having to tone it down a bit. The flow is pretty crazy, at least with it only 1/3 filled...

First w/ a ping pong ball, I wish I had some of those beads from the vortech demos, the surface tension against the glass is a little bit of a pain.

th_DSCN4563.jpg

No ping pong ball.

th_DSCN4564.jpg

From above...

th_DSCN4565.jpg

Pretty decent whirlpool effect going on!

Edited by calvin415
WET!

omgomgomg

LOL!

I like the vids. Gives you a realistic view that a photo simply cannot do.

Thanks! I'll be glad when I filming more than just water though. ;)

How did I miss the page where you added water! Glad you aren't letting us rush you faster than you should go. It will be awesome when you get it done!

Don't have a choice in the matter, only so many hours in the day, and only so much money around the Holidays.

man this thing looks so much better in person, i cant wait to see if full...

Thanks!

when will you be adding sand and rock?

As soon as everything is water tested, I'll start cleaning up the rock and building the structures, then when that's done, I'll add the sand.

What an amazing build... It is one of my Top 5 favorites. :D

Wow, Thanks!

Thanks!

Well the tank is now about 40% filled... For those of you who live where it's cold, FYI cold water will affect the output of your RO/DI unit. Mine is rated for 100 GPD and I'm getting about 20. The high today was 5 and it was -6 when I went to work this morning and already back down to 0 when I left at the end of the day. :( It will still work even for top off at that rate, but it sucks waiting for the tank to fill for a week.