ReefCleaners.org

***StevieT's Media Rack for the RSM ***

StevieT

Hey Gilrock,

I think if you take a plastic tie (like the ones you use in the garden) and secure the chemi-pure to the egg crate above it will solve your problem with flow. Mine was sucking water like that too when I first made mine (I made my own first then bought one of StevieT's). The chemi-pure kept causing a restriction and making that same "water fall" effect over my heater. So I took one of those ties and secured it to the level above. Voila!! Worked perfect. Also, I didn't use an eggcrate in the bottom and the chemi pure bag was being sucked into the hole and again...causing a restriction. So between putting 2 eggcrate pieces in the bottom and then securing the chemi-pure to the second level it worked fine.

With the new one I don't have to secure anything. I hope that helps since we seemed to have had the same issue. Also, if I want to change the floss or rinse the sponge I just grab it out of the top with my big ole tongs and replace it!!! :P No different than the way it was stock from the factory.

good luck!!!

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had originally thought I could lift the media rack up a few inches to pull out the filter floss and sponge. I'm now thinking that wouldn't be a good idea if there is any other media in the rack. It would be easier to arrange the filter floss squarely across the sponge if I wasn't stuffing it down the hole.

Anyways this is all dependent on using the Tunze. That Tunze better blow away the stock skimmer for me to use it because I really don't like the fit of the skimmer cup for the Tunze. If they reduced it's diameter or changed it to a rectangular shape it would work much better for the RSM.

Hazmat - if I hung the chemipure bag like you suggest it seems like I'd be allowing alot of the water to flow around the bag instead of through it's contents. I've actually become quite fast at removing the hood and pumps. I think I could change media in the chamber under the pumps in less than 5 minutes. Since I only need to change those chemicals twice a year I'm comfortable with leaving them under the pumps since it helps balance out the water flow.

Gil

RayWhisperer

Not trying to bust on all yous guys here, especially not you, Stevie. However, if any of you believe the media is still doing anything after 2 months, you are seriously flawed. Bacteria will colonize anywhere and everywhere. Especially in areas of high flow. No matter how viable the media may still be (which I highly doubt the manufacturer claims) it will be colonized by bacteria within that time frame. Therefore, rendering it pretty much useless for anything but biological filtration.

Anyways this is all dependent on using the Tunze. That Tunze better blow away the stock skimmer for me to use it because I really don't like the fit of the skimmer cup for the Tunze. If they reduced it's diameter or changed it to a rectangular shape it would work much better for the RSM.

Gil

The cup fits perfectly in mine and the tunze is at the exact water level they recommend. The collection cup pulls right out and goes right back in. I can also open the tank lid all the way up and the cup stays in place just like its supposed to. A rectangle shape cup would be nice though. I'm pretty sure someone could make one. Do you think changing the shape would mess with the skimming?

I think the entire point of the media rack is the EASE of getting to the medias without having to access the chamber of death. If someone has no issue with disassembling the tank to get to said media then fine. But lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater! :mellow:

Gil-think about where your carbon sits in the third chamber. It sits at the bottom. Water flows over it. Not through the entire bag (even when it sat above the bio-media). So it's the same difference.

Same thing as changing the sponge and filter floss (or white sponge). You reach down into the top and pull out the floss and black sponge. If you push too hard your sponge goes down into chamber 1. So I actually think the rack helps with keeping the sponge and floss right there where I can grab it. But that's me. So anyway I guess I'm not following what your beef is about getting the sponge.

I like the Tunze but it definitley skims different than the RSM. It's a wetter skim. My husband said the same thing about them making the collection cup square! But Tunze didn't make this skimmer specifically for the RSM so I guess we are SOL. I wonder why all the skimmers are round??? My only gripe with the Tunze is my blue air valve is really hard to turn!

I am happy with all my mods and my tank is doing well so that's just my 2 cents. Hope everyone's tanks are flourishing!

I do understand the cup problem. It fits fine yes, but when opening the hood all the way.. there is the issue of it hitting when closing. I have learned to take it out before hand. Or just hold it backwards when closing. Both work for me.

A squarish cup would be awesome... humm, wonder if I can mod one of those, might need a dremel then make a square or rectangle cup, then Weldon.

I do think that running the water completely though media is helpful, before as Hazmat stated, it seems to just run over the top. I have been changing the chem pure at 4 months intervals, what would this bacteria compromise in the tank? Nitrates?

I don't have any carbon in the tank. When I put the chemipure elite bag in the 3rd chamber I actually stuffed it so it's tucked underneath the divider to the heater chamber so that all water is forced through that media. I'm only keeping it in that chamber because it makes a 1.5" difference in the water level in the rear chamber near the heater. I like to look at how high the water is above the divider between the heater and skimmer. Anything more than 1" seems to be enough to keep the micro-bubbles from occurring. If I could put everything in one rack in chamber 1 I'd do it but in my tank that makes the water level only about 0.5" above that divider and with a small amount of evaporation plus buildup on the filter floss causes that to drop to 0.25" and then the waterfall happens which pumps air down into the 3rd chamber = microbubble syndrome.

I'm sure all tanks will not run the same because the pumps will not all perform the same and we all will have different water levels and different types of media. So I only post my observations because someone else will run into the same things I have and hopefully this will help.

By the way my plan is to build a small rack to place in the 3rd chamber to keep the media off the bottom and above the opening in the divider to help keep the water flowing through the media without the media needing to be stuffed in the opening. Plus I don't want it sitting on the bottom.

Gil

SaltWaterNewb
I will get some pics up later, I have the new one in my tank at this time testing it out, seems to be working great. It is wider, the top egg crate shelving is more secure, and there are notches to get around the intake grate piece that sticks out farther on some tanks.

next up.... FUGE rack B)

That's what I am talking about. Sign me up for some beta testing. I am hoping to have my new tank this week or early next and to start on my under tank fuge and be up and running middle of next month. I was going to build my own PVC fuge media rack but I'll wait and see what comes out of your workshop first.

That's what I am talking about. Sign me up for some beta testing. I am hoping to have my new tank this week or early next and to start on my under tank fuge and be up and running middle of next month. I was going to build my own PVC fuge media rack but I'll wait and see what comes out of your workshop first.

I will keep you informed, pictures and good dimentions are needed. I will contact you when I get caught up on work.

It would be awesome if we could just get tunez to make a square cup and sell it as a spare part :P I'm thinking RSM square CUP petition

haha.

If I could get round tube peices of acrylic, it wouldn't be hard to make one to fit. Ideas brewing again!

I was able to remove the original magnet from the side of the Tunze and use it as the holding magnet outside the tank. The little silicone feet on both magnets really help stabilize the skimmer.

To remove the magnet I used a thin rasor saw to slice between the skimmer body and the magnet. Took a bit of swearing and prying, but it eventually popped free.

Eventually we should fabricate something to keep the skimmer level.

I think using two magents on the skimmer, one on the top one on the bottom. Or one on the top left, one on the bottom right would keep it straighter and hold better. I really don't have any issues with mine, but it all depends on the tank and magents you are using.

RayWhisperer
I have been changing the chem pure at 4 months intervals, what would this bacteria compromise in the tank? Nitrates?
The bacteria that would colonize the media would be aerobic bacteria. So, yes, it would be creating nitrates. I realize you are measuring 0 nirates the way it stands right now. Really, you can't ask for better than that. I'm just betting you could achieve the same results with just plain carbon changed monthly. Might just save you a few bucks too.

yeah, but plain ol carbon doesn't cure cancer. B)

I have been using chemi pure for some time now in all my tanks, I like it, i'm sticking with it! haha if anything it helps with coral toxins. It may be a placebo but $22/year isn't too bad. I do see a difference in the water clarity and color.

hey, how big is that vinyl cutter you have at work? I am looking into options...

thanks, I am looking at 24" cutters online. Your stickers worked great! I only need to put them on one side of the rack now with my new design.

filefish949

I just popped in this thread, Steve, it was fun watching the evolution, or should I say the intelligent design of your rack. it is very nice. you have mad skills

thanks bud. I just finished up qty. (5) of V 1.3. I will get pictures up tomorrow. Small improvements were made.

haha.

If I could get round tube peices of acrylic, it wouldn't be hard to make one to fit. Ideas brewing again!

I'd like to be placed first on the "Stevie T Magic SKimmer Cup" waiting list.

you got it! I will keep an eye out for round plastic, can't be too hard to find. I wonder if that tapered design helps with skimmate collection or if you could bypass it and just go straight? I suppose if you put some heat on it you could get it to taper.

should we go with a HUGE skimmer cup just to make the tank feel like it didn't loose a Relative ?! :D

I'd like to be placed first on the "Stevie T Magic SKimmer Cup" waiting list.

Put me on that list too! Round hole with a square collection cup....come on Stevie!!!! That should be a piece of cake for you :P .

acrylic tubing purchased........ will work on new cup for tunze this coming week. Shipping from California, 4 business day UPS transit time

Archived