Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

***StevieT's Media Rack for the RSM ***

StevieT

Came out really nice Steve and the logo looks sharp.

Yep its not gonna fit right for me let me know the next time you fire up a set of them and ill give you my dimensions I dont mind paying extra for the added aggrevation.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oceanic 30g

Those are looking good. They came a long way fast! With all that extra media, you may not even need a tunze skimmer.

Came out really nice Steve and the logo looks sharp.

Yep its not gonna fit right for me let me know the next time you fire up a set of them and ill give you my dimensions I dont mind paying extra for the added aggrevation.

It shouldn't be too much of a problem customizing these for other tanks. I need to get the dimentions for other common tanks and start production on those. Let me know those dimentions and I can get working on one for you, the principle should be just about the same.

Mine showed up yesterday. It looked like you packed it for delivery by yak to Outer Mongolia! Great job on the product and packing.

Thanks

Jim

I just finished installing the rack into my RSM. I couldn't figure out how to get it to slip into the rear compartment, even with the hood fully raised. I ended up removing the hood completely to get it in. What a PITA! :angry:

After reassembling everything (of course I dislodged some wires and the wiring channel covers!) I sat back and admired the design. At that point, I discovered that all I had to do was lift the rear access flap and the rack just slid in. Duh! :blush:

Great design, dumb user! StevieT even supplies a nice full-color instruction and troubleshooting sheet -- of course he didn't anticipate users like me who have to do everything the hard way!

If you replace your skimmer with the Tunze 9002, you MUST get one of these racks! I can service the skimmer and filtration by simply lifting the access flap -- couldn't be easier, and absolutely NO modifications to the hood are needed. :D

What's next, StevieT? :bowdown:

haha, no way!!!!!!!! Now I have to add that to the instruction sheet!!!!!! d'oh B)

I can't believe you did that, it just slips right in there, you can take it in and out to do media changes, maintenance etc.... No fun if you had to remove the hood!

Glad you enjoyed it.

StevieT's Media Racks have gone global! Shipping one out to New Zealand, thanks Land_lubber, along with a new light for the tank!

Cool...hope mine comes soon...my Tunze is lonely sitting in the box.

For getting Purigen I looked at the premiumaquatics website and does the stuff they sell come in a bag or do I need to buy a bag seperately? The 100ml product says it's a bag but it doesn't look like it in the picture. How much Purigen do you usually use?

Thanks,

Gil

I Just picked up some new stuff from fosters and smith, i bought the stuff in the bag this time, it was the 100ml size, perfect for this size tank. I haven't put it in since my old stuff is still good. For that I had to buy a seperate bag, very small size is needed since it is small. Go with the 100ml in the bag, the picture may just show the actual product as a general view.

I'm missing the point of the top "shelf". Why is it different from the other two levels? The eggcrate wants to move around and slip out of position. Is there a reason the eggcrate isn't permanently attached like the lower levels?

I cut a 1/4" deep notch into the two fixed shelves to clear the RSM's overflow grate. Suggested mod for version 2.0 -- just fabricate the two shelves a bit shorter than the sides so there is clearance for the grate.

Thanks

Jim

I suppose the top shelf could be attached, i figured the sponge would create it's own shelve and I could save on labor and time. Also I haven't run tests yet but it may cut down flow, but that needs to be observed. I will look into that soon and see if I can attach a shelve on the top. I also thought it would be easier to have a removable shelve to get to the middle media, but most seem to run something that doesn't need regular attention.

On the fit issue I will look into the problem. I see the lip on my RSM but I didn't have any issues getting it in and out. The newer racks are 2mm - 3mm less wide to deal with fit issues and make it easier to pull in and out. If that lip is the main issue see what you are saying and will look into a design change.

I appreciate the feedback!

I just received my StevieT Media Basket today ... wow ... it is so nice packaged. After opening it ... I got the very nicely built basket with a white logo on it ... Seriously ... it looks so nice that I did not want to put it into the tank ... I am going to wait for my Tunze and do it over the weekend ... Again, great job Steve. I am really glad I got the basket ... Thank you ...

One question though. The logo looks awesome. Is it reef safe to put it in the tank though? :P

Awesome! I just unrolled v 1.3 last night, always making improvements to the design!! Thank you all for the positive feedback.

The logo is made from outdoor vinyl, it will not fade, it is a solid color. It should last underwater for some time. I would check it every now and then just to be safe, you can never be too sure. If you see any of it pealing off, please remove those parts. But it is made for outdoor weather, sun, uv protection etc.... It should be just fine! I would love to get a printed logo for this rack, but I have herd that they do not last long underwater, the colors fade to nothing within weeks! Oh well, these work just fine.

New design pictures to come, thanks to all that placed orders in the past!! B) you are awesome.

I know you folks love your RSM's, but have you considered building these for different types of AIO tanks? I'd love to have one for the middle chamber of my BC29.

I wasn't able to keep my media rack in the tank because the Tunze I received didn't work. I called them and apparently they had a bad batch of venturi's so they said they would ship me a new part immediately.

I'm still not seeing how everyone is getting away with all the media in the rack and nothing under the pumps because anytime I have all the media on the right side I get a waterfall over the heater divider because the pumps pull the water out of the left chamber faster than it refills on the right side. The only way I can fix this is to put my chemipure elite bag back under the pumps so it will impede the waterflow somewhat on the left side of the heater divider.

I'm going to test the Tunze after the new part arrives and if it outperforms the stock skimmer enough then I will go back to using the media rack only because I will need it to create a channel for the water to route through whatever media I have on the right side. I think even with the rack I will be stuck with keeping some of the media under the pumps. I think I will use some of that white grating stuff to make a shelf under the pumps to keep the media off the bottom.

Gil

I wasn't able to keep my media rack in the tank because the Tunze I received didn't work. I called them and apparently they had a bad batch of venturi's so they said they would ship me a new part immediately.

I'm still not seeing how everyone is getting away with all the media in the rack and nothing under the pumps because anytime I have all the media on the right side I get a waterfall over the heater divider because the pumps pull the water out of the left chamber faster than it refills on the right side. The only way I can fix this is to put my chemipure elite bag back under the pumps so it will impede the waterflow somewhat on the left side of the heater divider.

I'm going to test the Tunze after the new part arrives and if it outperforms the stock skimmer enough then I will go back to using the media rack only because I will need it to create a channel for the water to route through whatever media I have on the right side. I think even with the rack I will be stuck with keeping some of the media under the pumps. I think I will use some of that white grating stuff to make a shelf under the pumps to keep the media off the bottom.

Gil

Gil-

I have herd of a few venturi's going out on the Tunze. Hopefully the new one works.

I haven't herd any problem with flow in the RSM with the rack, if anything it has imporved flow in mine. Were you experiencing these problems before the rack? Have you tried running only a sponge or only floss? Are both of your pumps working correctly? Are your back chambers clogged up with junk? How open is your intake grate? Do you have a deflctor on one of the pumps? I have one, it may help the situation, but I don't really know without testing. It cuts the flow down on a pump, it really doesn't slow down the pull of the pump so it may be just a wash.

Is your chemi pure blocking the hole, try tying it to the shelve above. What is in your middle chamber?

sorry for all the questons, I want to pinpoint your problem if we can.

I know you folks love your RSM's, but have you considered building these for different types of AIO tanks? I'd love to have one for the middle chamber of my BC29.

YES! My ultimate goal is to have these available for all kinds of tanks. I am trying to buy old tanks to test prototypes on other tanks. I will PM you for dimentions in your tank.

I will get some pics up later, I have the new one in my tank at this time testing it out, seems to be working great. It is wider, the top egg crate shelving is more secure, and there are notches to get around the intake grate piece that sticks out farther on some tanks.

next up.... FUGE rack B)

Gil-

I have herd of a few venturi's going out on the Tunze. Hopefully the new one works.

I haven't herd any problem with flow in the RSM with the rack, if anything it has imporved flow in mine. Were you experiencing these problems before the rack? Have you tried running only a sponge or only floss? Are both of your pumps working correctly? Are your back chambers clogged up with junk? How open is your intake grate? Do you have a deflctor on one of the pumps? I have one, it may help the situation, but I don't really know without testing. It cuts the flow down on a pump, it really doesn't slow down the pull of the pump so it may be just a wash.

Is your chemi pure blocking the hole, try tying it to the shelve above. What is in your middle chamber?

sorry for all the questons, I want to pinpoint your problem if we can.

I've only had the tank a month so the rear chamber is clean...in fact I siphoned it pristine clean when I was installing the Tunze. The water level in the rear chamber has never been great. I've mentioned in other posts how all it takes is a small amount of buildup in the filter floss to cause it to drop, create the waterfall which ultimately causes the micro-bubble problem. The only media I have is a bag of chemipure elite, a 4" black sponge, and filter floss. I've cut the sponge in half so it's only 2". The pumps are working correctly and I'd say working too good...they can pull water like a champ. I keep the intake grate is all the way down and I don't have any deflectors.

I can't do any testing right now because with the Tunze failing right out of the box I had to remove the media rack and re-install the stock skimmer. You can't put the media rack in their with the stock skimmer.

Maybe your pump doesn't pull as strong since it's older.

I'm pretty good at troubleshooting this stuff as an engineer. I'll let you know what I find but I can't do anything till the Tunze is working.

Gil

I have herd this problem on a few tanks, and I remember now you bringing it up. I guess the next best contact would be Red Sea. I have never had this issue on mine, it may be something with a pump, possibly acting too strong if anything.

I will get some pics up later, I have the new one in my tank at this time testing it out, seems to be working great. It is wider, the top egg crate shelving is more secure, and there are notches to get around the intake grate piece that sticks out farther on some tanks.

next up.... FUGE rack B)

Do you have an upgrade program? :P A fuge rack would be awesome! Anyways thanks for the media rack its working like a champ. I personally haven't had any problems with flow being restricted, if anything like you said it seems to improve everything. The only thing it did do was alter the water level in my back chamber a bit so I had to readjust my ATO and the TUNZE.

I need to offer that ;) . I hate to keep making improvemnts on past customers but that is how things get better, the feedback has been awesome!

That is why I love keeping my ATO sensor on a magnet, I adjust it every now and then to keep the levels just right with the levels in the rear chamber.

Man my frogspawn is HUGE today..... sorry... had to throw that in, man what is up with it today?! Must be the new rack :P

I have herd this problem on a few tanks, and I remember now you bringing it up. I guess the next best contact would be Red Sea. I have never had this issue on mine, it may be something with a pump, possibly acting too strong if anything.

Yeah I can see that one. Call Red Sea and tell them I pulled out the bio-balls, the carbon, removed the stock skimmer, installed an aftermarket rack and claim theres a problem with their pump flow.

Let me clarify that I wasn't really looking for a solution from anyone here. Just posting my observations. I don't consider good pump flow a problem. I'm going to set this up the way it works well for me. Sorry if that doesn't sell more racks. If I use the rack it will only be because I decide to run the Tunze but I will still keep the chemipure and purigen under the pumps because I really don't want to be lifting that media everytime I change out filter floss and rinse the sponge. Every time you move those bags you're going to be stirring stuff up and releasing it into the tank. I initially thought the rack was a great idea but I'm really not on board with it now...sorry.

Gil

why would you have to lift the rack up to change anything but the chemical media?

You can reach in there for the top by the lid and remove the floss or sponge if you keep it on top of the rack where it is ment to be.

The chemi pure and purigen only needs to be touched or looked at every 4-5 months for a change.

Archived