Top Shelf Aquatics

burtbollinger's 30g Finnex M Tank

burtbollinger

burtbollinger

Finnex 30...running an aqua c remora nano, a chaeto fuge, an MP10, and a BRS GFO reactor..

Thanks for all the assistance and advice....especially Phixion, Ken at Oceanreeflections...and thanks to BigByrd for his amazing tank, which inspired the rockwork and idea for a 30g finnex.

EDIT: Tank has been taken down...Starting a super slow build, LPS-centric Reefer 170 w/ Nanobox Duo M in early 2017.

Lessons learned from this tank: Have the entire tank in your mind at the start. You can't just buy coral after coral and plop them in without planning. To me, this tank aesthetically was off...too many of the same round shapes...not enough depth, no balancing of colors....

Other lessons:  very careful with flow...a 2 second blast of too much flow can tear euphillia and start a cascading, slow motion disaster tank wide... Buy a refractometer. again...Low to medium flow. Really watch and lock down alkalinity. Not appreciating alkalinity swings bit me in the rear. I watched Alk, but was content to let it swing...didn't understand how that could impact LPS.

No coraline algae on back walls. Be very paranoid about scratching your glass. no scolys, no open brain corals...others have luck, I don't. No ugly plain palys that overgrow everything. Know when to stop adding corals.  Dip all corals.  Too repeat...much flow with LPS is bad. If at all possible, have a sump vs an AIO.  Remove sick LPS sooner rather than later...take the loss and move on.

mbylk.jpg

yR7gM.jpg

IVrc6.jpg

6uenD.jpg

gAzje.jpg

pJkzV.jpg

5YQ64.jpg

• Like 4

Never fear, I'm here! :D lol, j/k

Tank is looking awesome, Burt! I agree with SDT, the zoas all look great! I'm planning to rescape my tank as well. First I gotta get my water in order though, which I got back results on from Aquarium Water Testing where you send them a sample of your tank water.

burtbollinger

thanks....yeah, I had been doing intensive care on them, and I did a few furan-2 dips on them based on advice SeeDem gave me....aslo been dosing @ 1/4 tsp of buffered sodium ascorbate (Vitamin C)....always wanted to do an almost zoa-only tank with shimmering halides...

the light is a 14000k phoenix....trust me, its not that blue in real life.

SDT, I know you have black and white clowns....were yours orangish around the mouth area at first? I'm hoping that goes away and they darken up....

(EDIT 10/2010....they are both still alive and all the orange disappeared)

Hard to say if I got ripped off or not....LFS gave me the pair for 90, claiming they were true percs...I'm not so sure....regardless, they're cool fish...fattening up already off of rods food...

Edited by burtbollinger
SeeDemTails

Well it certainly looks like you have your zoa issues under control now!....Well done!!!!!

Yes, they will blacken up, mine were about 2 years old when they went jet black. Even though the male will be smaller, he may not grow bigger but will still darken up. Mine are JET black now, I love them, some of the coolest fish out!

burtbollinger

thanks :) Yeah, I got the 150w MH....twas backoreded for about a month...Its really nice....but then again I have nothing to compare it too....I've always had PC lighting until now. I highly recommend the finnex tank just as far as looks and build quality...that said, I am not a fan of the skimmer or stand though...not using either one.

burtbollinger
Where di you get your 150 MH? I need another one, and illuming.com is down!

I went with the finnex brand fixture....that came with the tank....got it through Ken at OceanReeflections....sorry if that isnt the answer you wanted :)

burtbollinger

Temps have been creeping up to 83.8 after @ 6 hours of MH....then dropping back to @ 82....purchased a jebo multi-fan, haphazardly pointed it at the first chamber/skimmer output ramp...which knocks the temp back to 82.5....also was getting a diatom bloom, so I added @ 20 cerith smails last night....seem to be doing a good job keeping the sand sifted/not brown...

I'm still not to the relaxing stage with this tank yet :)

LFS guy tried his best to sell me a bluespot jawfish last night...was even offering free ricordias if I bought him....twas the most tempting near purchase I've ever faced....if not for these forums, he'd be mine...I thought I had read he needed a DSB...turns out, he did....and is also a notorious jumper. For real, though....maybe the coolest fish I've ever seen....he reminded me of a muppet or something....

5392_2.JPG

EDIT: Jebo multi-fans suck. Get a large floor fan or something built large and sturdy.

Edited by burtbollinger
SeeDemTails
he reminded me of a muppet or something....

Lol, walka walka walka.

I love jawfish and will be putting one in my 60 acrylic hex, as it has a built in top. I lost my jawfish to a jump I guess. I miss him, he was an awesome fish. First fish I have lost in many years too!

Burt, put the fan over the return chamber, that's where I put mine. That way it'll work a little more efficiently and quickly. :)

SDT, I agree about jawfish. They certainly are awesome fish. I just last week got a blue-spot (finally!) for my tank, and he's the most personable one I have yet to date between him, the dusky and the moustache I've all had in the past. I definitely put eggcrate of the top of my tank with him in there, don't need a $120 (I got mine for $50 actually from an LFS) laying dead on the carpet. :(

• 4 weeks later...
burtbollinger

I have stopped dosing vitamin c as of last night...it raised my alk to 15 and i had to do an emergency water change...

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

sweet looking tank. and the rock work is stellar. I just picked up a solana and the nova extreme pro and i want to do the same zoas and rics at the bottom and then some sps towards the top. anyways keep up the good work.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
burtbollinger

feb7.jpg

tank at 11 months...had a few dieoffs of zoas, and a tiny bit of zoa trouble, but things are good. temp rock soild at 78, alk 10, ca 420....no new additions in months....been broke....when $, I'm going to stock the rest with montipora digitata, and other super easy sps. water changes every 5 to 7 days...5g of torpic marin pro...with buffered up Alk. dosing 10ml a day bulk reef supply alk and ca. stocked with 2 clowns, carpenters flasher, and a bicolor blenny.

could be better, could be a lot worse IMO.

Edited by burtbollinger
  • 3 weeks later...