inTank Media Baskets

A FAQ on Clams

Urchinhead

Why is this not a sticky?

Acroporalokani's coral FAQ thread was stickied the day it was posted, even while members found issues with some of the information.

dunno maybe cuz ezcompany's is a sticky

... in the lighting forum ... because it's about clam lighting requirements. I would think that the clam discussion should have it's own sticky, even if the lighting information overlaps ezcompany's thread.

Edited by lakshwadeep
reefman225gal

Just wanted to point out urchinhead you mentioned some fish that should not be kept with tridacnids. Tangs and Angels? I know certain angels, but all? hmmm. And you had it right the first time maximas can reach between 14''-16'' max. Although I have read most if not all of this info in the many reef aquarium books I have. Good job!

Reefman-

Thank you.

Pretty much all Angles and Tangs should be considered because they all have behaviors that are dangerous to clams. That being nipping algae off of rocks. I am not saying that each and every Tang/Angel will nip a clam's mantle, only that there is a species behavior that is dangerous to clams.

As to making this a sticky... If its worth it perhaps a Mod could make it so?

I agree that not all of those fish will nip. I mean, many species from each group will, but not all I don't think.

Acroporalokani's coral FAQ thread was stickied the day it was posted, even while members found issues with some of the information.

Maybe I could have stopped it if only I'd been a worth adversary.

LOL

• 11 months later...

+1. This is about clams overall, not just their lighting requirements.

Edited by timdanger
  • 4 weeks later...

Why is this not a sticky yet? I've gone through tons of threads trying to find this information, only to find it was all in here!

Thanks alot! I'm purchasing my first ultra grade maxima 3" from a friend this weekend! I'm so excited.

Would zeovit's nano line be a good supplement for a maxima?

Why is this not a sticky yet? I've gone through tons of threads trying to find this information, only to find it was all in here!

Thanks alot! I'm purchasing my first ultra grade maxima 3" from a friend this weekend! I'm so excited.

Would zeovit's nano line be a good supplement for a maxima?

the only supplements a clam needs is calcium and alk......they don't need to be fed

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Very helpful, thanks!

I have no fish in my tank but these :

- 1 tessellata libya

- 1 mithrax

- 1 lysmata debelius

- 1 lysmata wurdemanni

- 1 thor amboinensis

- 3 trochus

- 3 Hermit crabs: 2 tricolor, 1 a little bigger which i don't know the name with blue dark legs

I managed to remove a Pilumnus. I hope that there won't be anymore somewhere...

I don't intend to get some fish, or maybe just a gobiodon okinawae

Do you think that it will be OK to give a try for a T crocea in this 100% invert tank ? Thanks

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I notice you have the Maximas max size down as 6" when they can actually reach 12". The only giant clam that stays at or around 6" is the Crocea.

• 3 months later...