Pod Your Reef

The Official Sixline Wrasse Thread

GioReef

grease-monkey

I love my six line , it is my favorite fish in the tank . helps keep pests back , the fish is really curious tho . my girlfriend was acclimating a new clam i had gotten recently and when she put the clam in the tank the fish wouldn't leave it alone . The fish got partially closed on twice by the clam . its quick but not as quick as the clam .

love the fish though, this my second one as the last one i lost in a crash.

i haven't had a problem with mine trying to bully the other fish in my tank as it is the smallest fish i have

• Like 1

I just stumbled upon this thread. I love my sixline too! I've had him over a year now. He's the only fish in my biocube 14. When I had my 16 gallon up, I had him with a yellow tailed damsel in there. I was scared that my sixline would beat up the damsel as he was the first fish in the tank. My girlfriend was taking down her tank and was getting rid of the damsel, so I put him with my wrasse. They became best buds right away. Since then, my girlfriend started up a tank again, so she got the damsel back. Plus, the damsel started to dig and clouding up my tank, I was getting pissed!

Anywho, I like my sixline because he's active, fun to watch, doesn't mess with any corals, and really likes flake food :)

• 2 weeks later...

My wrasse I had in QT did not make it. He developed what appeared to be an abrasion in his slime coat that had multiplied all over his body the next morning. I tried to save him but it was too late. A day later I found it dead in the tank. I guess it would have been either a fungal or bacterial infection? I couldnt find any pics or posts resembling what was on it. Anyone have any ideas?

• 6 months later...

the first time i tried to put a six line in my tank i found it stuck to the filter the morning after i bought it, still alive.(but you could tell he was done for) im pretty sure he was sick when i bought him because all my corals were doing perfect and i had two clowns and a banghai cardinal, and even a wild cought mandarin dragonette funtioning perfectly in the tank. so i blamed that one on the pet store.

but then the second time i tried to get a wrasse i had watched it in the pet store's 160gallon frag tank for at least 3 months but the owner said it wasnt for sale, eventually he decided to sell it, i brought it home and it did great the entire day it was eating and everything, the next morning i turned on the light and i couldn't see him anywhere so i figured he'd come out later, i got home from school around 4 and he still wasnt out so i fed the fish and still no sign of him. eventually i found him wedged in a rock and he seemed like he could get out, when he finally did he was all distorted and his scales were torn off and he sank to the bottom and died.

all water tested 0 for nitrite, nitrate, etc.

i've got a 30 gallon tank

Any thoughts of why i cant keep a sixline?!

I have had my sixline for 6 months now, in a custom 16' cube. The fish loves to duck and swim within the rockwork, and also spends a lot of time just cuizing the tank. I had a black/white clown in the tank before I got the six line, and the clown would hide most of the time. No other fish. After I got the wrasse, the clown became much more active, thay actually swim around together a bunch, and I have never seen the wrasse be aggressive toward anything in the tank. I have lots of hermits, a porcelain, a HUGE but very good mannered emerald and a skunk cleaner. Everyone seems to get along just fine, I do feed quite a bit, I mix frozen mysis with the red Rods food, and mix in a little dry coral frenzy and feed at night with a turkey baster. The wrasse is always asleep at this time in the rock work, and the clown gets its share of shrimp. I feed the flakes in the morning, and the wrasse and clown go crazy and eat like pigs. I think this is the key to their happiness, I think alot of people are afraid to feed heavy enough in fear of nitrates, I just do plenty of water changes and the fish seem to be very happy.

I get cranky, my dogs get cranky, and most of the people I know get cranky when they get hungry, so I think this is the key- fat and happy, works for my fish and my corals, especially my duncans.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
iSpeakWhale

my six line seems to be pretty happy in my 8g tank. I just put him in there, along with my other start-up fish, a little under a week ago. i'll be on the lookout for aggressive behavior 3 months to a year from now, thanks everybody!

a few questions, if anyone has time to address:

1. Should I be worried at all about what that mucus bubble he sleeps in is doing to the chemical levels in my tank?

2. Has anyone ever seen a wrasse bond to an anemone? Cuz my ocellaris clownfishes aren't taking to it, but the wrasse seems to be inching closer by the day.

here's my wrasse:

15775c90e4aba97869f0a42e9debe45d.jpg

Have a great day, everybody!

Here is mine, he has gained about 10 lbs since that photo and is an obese grouchy sob:)

Slightly blurred but a pretty good shot, he never slows down...

2854317211_3d1a207631.jpg

Adam

That's one of the best pictures of a six line I've seen!

• Like 1

my six line seems to be pretty happy in my 8g tank. I just put him in there, along with my other start-up fish, a little under a week ago. i'll be on the lookout for aggressive behavior 3 months to a year from now, thanks everybody!

a few questions, if anyone has time to address:

1. Should I be worried at all about what that mucus bubble he sleeps in is doing to the chemical levels in my tank?

2. Has anyone ever seen a wrasse bond to an anemone? Cuz my ocellaris clownfishes aren't taking to it, but the wrasse seems to be inching closer by the day.

here's my wrasse:

15775c90e4aba97869f0a42e9debe45d.jpg

Have a great day, everybody!

8 Gal is WAY too small for that fish, they shouldn't be kept in anything smaller than a 20Gal tank. And what other "start up" fish? how many fish do you have in the 8 gal? Please tell me you are not cycling with fish because that is down right cruel to them and will prolly wind up killing them.

Side note i've had my 6 line for almost a year now, doesn't bother anyone in the tank and loves to dart in and out of the rockwork throughout the tank.

• 1 month later...
iSpeakWhale

8 Gal is WAY too small for that fish, they shouldn't be kept in anything smaller than a 20Gal tank. And what other "start up" fish? how many fish do you have in the 8 gal? Please tell me you are not cycling with fish because that is down right cruel to them and will prolly wind up killing them.

Other start up fish included two clowns and a yellow bellied damsel, but the damsel has since died. About may 2nd, I believe. I definitely don't think it was a wrasse attack, though. My wrasse has been real mellow, even now, after a few months. I still haven't ever seen him even pick at another fish or the shrimp. Guess I got lucky and drafted a nice, chill sixline :)

I didn't cycle the water with fish in it. Just live rock that was encrusted with mushrooms, and a feather duster. And live sand. If you wanna see the more complete timeline you can click on my thread here:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/323481-innovative-marine-nuvo-8g/

Here's a recent pic

9bb08e6b025932e8d6e1839d5d063ecb.jpg

Thanks for the feedback!

• 4 weeks later...

I love this thread, read it at least twice right through and REALLY want one major! However I only have a 20g that I DIY'ed into an AIO with a 15 gallon display(which I'm now regretting because of this one fish)! I will have to go out and get a 20g and build a sump for it me thinks.

Could I, out of curiosity, add the sixline to this tank and upgrade withint the year?

It's just finished cycling so I'm not adding a thing yet so this is just a thought so far

Thanks for any help

• 6 months later...

my 16 gal tank currently just has a cleaner shrimp and clown in it. I want to add a fire fish, and potentially a six line that a friend of mine is trying to get rid of as he is tearing down his tank. The six line is still small (less than 2 inches) approximately the same size as the clown, and I think they would get along fine, but I'm worried about introducing the wrasse before the fire fish, as the fire fish is a far more peaceful fish, that might get bullied by the wrasse if the wrasse is already established in the tank. any ideas? I would be getting the wrasse tomorrow, and the fire fish on monday, but I feel like the fire fish should get to establish itself for at least a week or more before I put in the wrasse? any input? here's the tank, do I even have enough rock work for a wrasse?

1452564_10153489998720346_2119811787_n.j

• 4 weeks later...

I will 2nd 8g as being too small. It is ok for very young juvenile but pls plan on giving him more room to live. You won't regret it. He will thank you. Great fish like others said. Not too aggressive but it won't get push around that's for sure. Not a good choice for invert tank. Might kill crabs and shrimps. Snails are safe for most part. Builds protective cocoon at night as his shield of safety from predators.

Snow_Phoenix

I love my sixline! What a active guy he is, does anyone's else's have one that gets even redder eyes when food is dropped in?

Mine does. I always thought I was imagining things, but I swear his eyes almost glow red when its feeding time. Absolutely love my Sixline. He's best buds with my Yellowtail Damsel as well. :)

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I just got one today. Second fish in my tank. Coolest fish ever. It has gone into every nook and cranny it can. Stirred up plenty of debris. Super personable. I was afraid it would hide all the time or somthing, but no. It just loves to hunt around when the lights are on. Really glad I went with this fish.

• 2 years later...

Been a long time since there were any posts on this thread but as the six lined wrasse is one of my fav little fish I thought I would revive it esp as I have just bought a pair. I say a pair as I can usually sex them and have done so on a number of occasions in my 36 years in marines.  First of let's dispel this myth stated at the beginning of the thread Quote "Only get 1 sixline per tank because they WILL fight"  While males in a small tank may fight I have found a male with one or more females will not. I have kept 3 pairs in my time and believe I have just got another pair not that they actually pair as such just a male and a female or more will coexist well together and even spawn for you if well cared for. Females can be distinguished by having a bump around the anal area and are a little shorter. The males have no such bump and slightly longer and often more colourful esp when courting a female which they tend to do and spawn near dusk. My 2have only just gone in my 100gallon reef tank and are being chased a little by my damsels which I expected. However, my  reefscape provides plenty of opportunity to get out of the way at least till they all settle down together. I have plenty of small fish in my reef tank, some might suggestI am overstocked but as I only keep little fish then there is no issues with water quality or compatibility of my stock which have all been chosen carefully. 

• 1 year later...
On 6/11/2017 at 11:49 AM, atoll said:

Been a long time since there were any posts on this thread but as the six lined wrasse is one of my fav little fish I thought I would revive it esp as I have just bought a pair. I say a pair as I can usually sex them and have done so on a number of occasions in my 36 years in marines.  First of let's dispel this myth stated at the beginning of the thread Quote "Only get 1 sixline per tank because they WILL fight"  While males in a small tank may fight I have found a male with one or more females will not. I have kept 3 pairs in my time and believe I have just got another pair not that they actually pair as such just a male and a female or more will coexist well together and even spawn for you if well cared for. Females can be distinguished by having a bump around the anal area and are a little shorter. The males have no such bump and slightly longer and often more colourful esp when courting a female which they tend to do and spawn near dusk. My 2have only just gone in my 100gallon reef tank and are being chased a little by my damsels which I expected. However, my  reefscape provides plenty of opportunity to get out of the way at least till they all settle down together. I have plenty of small fish in my reef tank, some might suggestI am overstocked but as I only keep little fish then there is no issues with water quality or compatibility of my stock which have all been chosen carefully. 

I have wanted a 6 line since I have got into the hobby. Been to afraid to try as I don't want to upset the fish chemistry. I have a reefer 350 (75G) with the current fish,

1 foxface lo (medium size)

1 royal grama

1 coral beauty 

2 smaller clowns

3 blue/green chromis

1 cleaner wrasse (not sure if the 6 line would go after this guy)

2 lyretail anthias 

fish left on my list to get 1 or 2 tangs.

On 4/1/2008 at 11:56 AM, nano reef boy13 said:

what would be the best thype of six line wrasse to put in a 8g?

i wish i could make a tang police joke...

WEE OO WEE OO ITS THE WRASSE POLICE

On 6/12/2017 at 3:49 AM, atoll said:

oh my god when i get a big ass tank im getting a pair. love my single one. two would be awesome!

On 1/9/2014 at 1:29 AM, Snow_Phoenix said:

Mine does. I always thought I was imagining things, but I swear his eyes almost glow red when its feeding time. Absolutely love my Sixline. He's best buds with my Yellowtail Damsel as well. :)

wow! (about the damsel being best friends) my sixline is def a loner. squabbles with my ningaloo black clarkii sometimes tho. nothing serious

On 12/13/2013 at 3:38 AM, ConnorFood said:

my 16 gal tank currently just has a cleaner shrimp and clown in it. I want to add a fire fish, and potentially a six line that a friend of mine is trying to get rid of as he is tearing down his tank. The six line is still small (less than 2 inches) approximately the same size as the clown, and I think they would get along fine, but I'm worried about introducing the wrasse before the fire fish, as the fire fish is a far more peaceful fish, that might get bullied by the wrasse if the wrasse is already established in the tank. any ideas? I would be getting the wrasse tomorrow, and the fire fish on monday, but I feel like the fire fish should get to establish itself for at least a week or more before I put in the wrasse? any input? here's the tank, do I even have enough rock work for a wrasse?

1452564_10153489998720346_2119811787_n.j

i feel that 16 gal is too small. also the sixline will likely pick on the firefish. just my 2 cents