Cultivated Reef

The Unofficial Sexy Shrimp Thread

Lalani

Didn't even know one was carrying, but I just witnessed my female SS launch her babies under the cover of flashlight tonight, so tiny!

I've had mine with a pompom, zoas and hermits with almost no problems, My female clown got quite agitated a few months ago and proceeded to kill four out of six, but other than that they just hang around the Euphyllia wiggling around all day.

Still have my fusion 10 from the post-crash upgrade, wonder if that could be converted into a BSS nursery..

• Like 2

I've kept mine with pom poms and zoas without any trouble, but as you've found out, some people have reported that sexies will eat zoas. I'd try it with just a few zoas and see how yours do. They do fine with all kinds of corals.

Thanks!

Do you know if its cool to put these duders in with no sand, just liverock? Or do they need the substrate?

• Like 1

Thanks!

Do you know if its cool to put these duders in with no sand, just liverock? Or do they need the substrate?

They should be fine - mine are always on everything but the sand :)

• Like 1

They should be fine - mine are always on everything but the sand :)

Hmmmm... I know this isn't the pompom crab thread, but do you think they'd be okay too?? And the CUC??? Not really sure who needs sand to sift through...

Hmmmm... I know this isn't the pompom crab thread, but do you think they'd be okay too?? And the CUC??? Not really sure who needs sand to sift through...

The Pom Pom Crabs will be fine. They filter feed the water column.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
LPS are awesome

I have a story to share for this thread :). So recently my LFS got sexy shrimps in stock and I was so happy and got a pair, because budget and i got other shrimps too. But the thing is, I have fish like pyjama cardinal that will eat them and a huge female coral banded shrimp, along with a skunk cleaner. The shrimps I got along with the sexies are emperor shrimp, white spot anemone shrimp and a longnose/donald duck shrimp, also a black sea cucumber. The adult sexy shrimp i got, died after an hour after introduction and was scavenged by the coral banded shrimp and the dead sexy was literally torn to pieces, this got me really worried but luckily the other sexy shrimp is in the elegance coral. The next day, I found all my shrimps and I found my sexy shrimp in the most worrying spot ever. Right outside the coral banded shrimps lair(which is a small rock arch like formation)! I purposely bought more liverocks so they can be safe on the right side of the tank far from the coral banded and the only one who is there is my donald duck shrimp while the rest are literally around the coral banded shrimps lair which is also near the skunk cleaner's home. The white spot anemone is hosting my bush coral and once got into trouble with both the skunk and CBS (the skunk chased the shrimp and the shrimp accidentally touched one of the CBS antennae, causing the CBS to come out and almost "punch" it), therefore living in the zoanthid colony for awhile before moving back to the bush coral where it is happy.The CBS walked over the emperor once but the emperor stood its ground and the CBS went back to its lair (the CBS didnt attack it at all). Then theres the sexy shrimp, the antennae of the CBS touched the sexy so many times but it didnt attack and the sexy isn't even bothered at all! But when the skunk cleaner or white spot is near, she comes out and tries to attack. Now today, the sexy shrimp was missing and I spent the entire day finding it and guess where I found it, inside the coral banded shrimp's lair!!!!! The CBS is literally right above the sexy shrimp, I was happy I found it but how is it not dead? It is literally in the most dangerous spot and yet safest at the same time, the CBS could kill it anytime but chooses to focus on other things instead like defending its home against the cleaner and fish,it almost seems like the CBS is protecting the sexy.What do you guys think of this? 

• 4 months later...

Up this thread. 

I read the entire thing months ago before I made decisions. It was part of the reason why I made the choices I made.

Thank you. 

My 1 and only sexy, Senora, shaking the body line on my paly. 

Ps don't tell me Senora is a male, I'd be crushed and 2nd guessing my life choices. 

20171027_200139.jpg

• Haha 1
25 minutes ago, Mark1313 said:

Up this thread. 

I read the entire thing months ago before I made decisions. It was part of the reason why I made the choices I made.

Thank you. 

My 1 and only sexy, Senora, shaking the body line on my paly. 

Ps don't tell me Senora is a male, I'd be crushed and 2nd guessing my life choices. 

20171027_200139.jpg

Congratulations!

Oh and Señora is in fact, a female. ;)

• Like 2

Ok I have no idea what is happening.  I now have 4 missing Sexy shrimps.  2 months ago I had one happy little shrimp dancing on my torch coral, and I thought he needed a friend so I added a second one.  I had to move my rocks shortly after due to my wife adding a blue Damsel that I needed to remove.  Ever since I have not seen either, and thought they died (due to finding what I now believe is molting instead of a body).  I added a third last month and he instantly disappeared.  A few days ago I thought I found another body lodged behind a rock and added a 4th so that I could observe what was happening (I'm pretty sure this "body" was just red seaweed).  The 4th guy was hanging out on a rock, then zipped off somewhere, never to be seen from again.

I'm pretty sure there is a sexy party somewhere in my tank but I would prefer if these little guys would come out of hiding.  Anyone have any ideas on how to convince a group of sexies out of hiding and into the open.  I'm pretty sure there is nothing in my tank eating them, but this is annoying me.

Tank details:

28G Nano-Cube W/Live rock and coarse sand

Rose bubble anemone

Blue Streak Cleaner Wrasse

Derasa Clam

Blackcap Basslet

Blue Coral banded shrimp

2 Clowns

Tang

Flame Scallop

Peppermint Shrimp (that is worthless for aptasia)

Watchman goby

Sandhopper Blenny

cleaner shrimp

Emerald Crap and other cleanup crew

Torch, Frogspawn, and Hammer corals

MISC other corals

Well, not to come off as mean, I’m just going to lay it out straight for you. If one of your way too many tank inhabitants didn’t kill them, the likely extremely poor water quality killed them.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure it's not the water, I keep it in really stable conditions.  I do agree that there may be a few extra things in the tank, but aside from this mystery everything has been going pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2017 at 5:21 PM, RayWhisperer said:

Well, not to come off as mean, I’m just going to lay it out straight for you. If one of your way too many tank inhabitants didn’t kill them, the likely extremely poor water quality killed them.

Sorry but, yes, this ^

Well, I can't blame the water conditions without knowing parameters, but I've heard that coral banded shrimp can be aggressive not only against other cbs but also smaller shrimp. And sexy shrimp are definitely "smaller" shrimp.

You do have a very well-stocked tank, and sexy shrimp generally do better in small tanks with fewer inhabitants. I've had the most luck with them in my 10g and 4g tanks. 

Thank you everyone for the info.  The tank parameters aren't the issue, I'm pretty sure the clown's killed them.  Everything was fine until I added them and after a lot of research I found they have killed Sexys in other instances.  :( 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey everyone this thread made me decide on what to add. I previously had a porcelain for 8 months but he sadly passed away and im looking for a new mascot im thinking of adding a singular sexy shrimp to my tank (2 gallon mixed reef) let me know if you think itll be happy in here! (Im pretty sure my tank can handle a single pellet every day/ other day for a little shrimp XD )

20180517_194609-01.jpeg

received_1966706300306435.jpeg

• Like 1

Yay! I just found this thread! I have a 2.5 gallon with three sexies. I’ve had one for about two years and the other two for about 9 months or so. I also have a Pom Pom crab. 

I have not had any issues with them eating any corals, but I keep them well fed. 

DF3B961E-623E-4CAC-B95F-A4DBC6CB0E83.jpeg

4236584E-0CC0-4FB8-A534-D18229E3DFD4.jpeg

FCC1B4A6-744B-4520-9A7C-AD707747FEA6.jpeg

• Like 2
22 hours ago, TheRope said:

Hey everyone this thread made me decide on what to add. I previously had a porcelain for 8 months but he sadly passed away and im looking for a new mascot im thinking of adding a singular sexy shrimp to my tank (2 gallon mixed reef) let me know if you think itll be happy in here! (Im pretty sure my tank can handle a single pellet every day/ other day for a little shrimp XD )

20180517_194609-01.jpeg

received_1966706300306435.jpeg

I have three in my Fluval Spec III, with only a couple of corals and a RFA (I'm the most patient pico reefer ever), and they report a satisfactory lifestyle. I'm sure two or three would be thrilled to dwell in your tank!

22 hours ago, Sarah Ann said:

I have three in my Fluval Spec III, with only a couple of corals and a RFA (I'm the most patient pico reefer ever), and they report a satisfactory lifestyle. I'm sure two or three would be thrilled to dwell in your tank!

Unfortunately my lfs said they had sexies but it turns out they had only cleaners (which was my first option) so i ended up picking up a cleaner shrimp, im not part of the cool sexy shrimp people now 😞

• Sad 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone in this thread have a possum wrasse with sexy shrimp?  I have the wrasse but the tank is intended to be invert specific.  I dont THINK he'll bother them but you know wrasses and their uber love for inverts.  

• Like 1
16 hours ago, mndfreeze said:

Anyone in this thread have a possum wrasse with sexy shrimp?  I have the wrasse but the tank is intended to be invert specific.  I dont THINK he'll bother them but you know wrasses and their uber love for inverts.  

I had a pink streaked wrasse and he didn't pay any attention to my sexy shrimp. Can't say for sure about a possum wrasse though.