ReefCleaners.org

The Unofficial Sexy Shrimp Thread

Lalani

I've been lurking in this thread for a couple years now. I finally sold my freshwater tank at work, and purchased an 8 gallon nano for the sole purpose of being a sexy shrimp tank!! :naughtydance: I blame Lani for creating such an awesome thread.

I'd like to stock some RFA & mini carpet nems too, but how many is too many, because I want to buy them all!!

So excited to get my tank up and running! Thanks to everyone for the contribution to this thread-lots of inspiration.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Hello, I have a 5.5 gallon nano I set up about two months ago. I have a couple soft corals, mushrooms, duncans, and other polys. I'm looking to add some interest and I'm thinking about Sexy Shrimp. I currently have a small (~1") Sargent Major that I collected in the tank; obviously it's not going to be in there long and will hopefully be replaced by a single probably Percula clown. My question is, do you think the current fish would bother these shrimp if I got some relatively soon? Also two or three if I did get some? Thanks for the help!

SquishyFishy

Even my damsel doesn't bother them. They can hold their own even though tiny! All four of mine stay entirely with the nems. And they wonder around the tank at night but never so much as a nibble of anything else. I hand feed them flake and mysis to keep them full. So if I was starting an all sexy tank, I'd just purchase a RBTA and maybe a green one. The sexies would love them. It could be a nem show tank along with the sexies.

• Like 1
jamescstein

I traded in 3 of my 4 sexy's. The 4th is gone as soon as I catch her. Zaos and soft corals that were always looking pissed haven't looked better.

I also fed them as often as I could get them to take food but they still preferred to nibble.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

I traded in 3 of my 4 sexy's. The 4th is gone as soon as I catch her. Zaos and soft corals that were always looking pissed haven't looked better.

I also fed them as often as I could get them to take food but they still preferred to nibble.

Everyone always finds this out in the end. Reef tanks are better off without these shrimp.

• 4 months later...

Anyone know where to find blue sexy shrimp?

Haven't had much luck searching online so far.

I had a bunch of shops I'd stop at when traveling to visit my my ex (long distance relationship). But since she is my ex, I don't make that trip anymore and those shops are too far away and I don't remember which ones used to carry them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just finished going through the all 77 pages of this (1908 posts) at some ungodly hour this morning. Strongly recommend against that :P

Hopefully I'll be able to contribute to some breeding of these, but it's probably going to be a while as I have no idea where I'm going to be working and living in a few months (should already know that by now). I'll probably start working on designing the system though.

There weren't many detailed posts about what people were doing trying to raise the offspring. For those that tried breeding and raising offspring:

1. There seems to be an issue with the babies getting stuck in the surface tension of the water. Anybody that used a kreisel type setup, did you have surface tension trapping babies if there was an exposed section of water?

2. Was anybody feeding pods and phyto at all or was it strictly newly hatched BBS?

3. Did anybody notice a difference in getting them to settle using water from the brood tank vs. new salt water? Any theories on why there is a difference if you did notice this difference?

4. Was mechanical filtration used or was it strictly bio filter?

5. How frequently did you perform water changes and what percentage of water did you change?

6. What was the volume of your grow out system?

7. What would you consider trying next time?

8. What did you use to catch and transfer the clutch?

9. How successful were you?

I'm sad. My sexies are gone. I suspect they were attacked by my emerald crabs, same as my pistol shrimp.

:(

My daughter is building a pico for a science project, and we'll get more. :)

That's too bad. I had mine with an emerald crab with no problems but they are all different.

Mine eats things like fireworms and whatnot. She also grabs for me when I am feeding. practically did a backflip for food the other day.

• Like 1

I've been lurking in this thread for a couple years now. I finally sold my freshwater tank at work, and purchased an 8 gallon nano for the sole purpose of being a sexy shrimp tank!! :naughtydance: I blame Lani for creating such an awesome thread.

I'd like to stock some RFA & mini carpet nems too, but how many is too many, because I want to buy them all!!

So excited to get my tank up and running! Thanks to everyone for the contribution to this thread-lots of inspiration.

i have an 8g and 5 flower nems right now.

about to pick up my 6th. ha! they WILL move in the

little tank, and you'd have to clear a path for them

when they do.

i love the carpets but i cannot commit to them because

i think they are more aggressive than flower nems, and that

is just bad news for an 8g tank. no space.

i've had my 2 sexies for over a year. end of 2015, one

finally disappeared. my bigger one (i think it is the bigger

one), is still alive, which means she is nearing 2 years old.

i have never had a problem with them ever as far as bothering

or picking on corals, etc. love my sexies.

• 2 months later...

I'm new to this and I currently just cycled my 6 gallon. I was planning on having it be a invert tank and I'm wondering how long should I wait to put in sexy shrimpand if they could be the first addition.

• 3 weeks later...
L.bacchus88

Hey, I really want to get some sexy shrimp and some pederson shrimp for my 29gallon biocube. I know they are usually kept in smaller tanks, but I'm wondering if I can manage in the 29? My tank is cycling now so I haven't decided for sure. I plan on having 2 occelaris clowns, 1 firefish, 1 orange striped prawn goby, and a royal gramma. I don't think I'm going to get any hermits, just a bunch of snails. I mayyyy get a couple Pom Pom crabs, but again, not sure. What do you guys think? Will those shrimp get eaten? Lol thanks Also, I'll add that I plan on having anemones once my tank is matured.

Mine were hunted and killed by emerald crabs. But they coexisted just fine with a candy cane pistol shrimp. In your list, the only thing I would worry about are the clowns and the sexy shrimp fighting over the same coral to hang out on. The sexies would lose...

L.bacchus88

Ok thanks! I do want to get a mini carpet anemone, which the clowns probably won't be interested in. So, maybe the shrimps will hang around that and be left alone. :-)

I've been wanting to set up a sexy shrimp tank right next to my crystal shrimp tank. Too bad they don't make fluval ebi's any more. Would of been nice if both tanks matched.

I have two females in my 28gal right now. largest been in there since I set the tank up a year and a half ago, my male died few months back and just picked up the tiny one few weeks ago.

Back when the male was alive the female was constantly berried. Would see spawns often but because the design of the AIO they would just get sucked into filtration and I didn't have the time or energy to try and raise them seperatly.

Cichlidrookie

Wow there is a lot of reading 77 Pages worth.

I just want to add my sexies to the topic.

I have 4 in my tank and are all females, my local lfs has some males but they are much smaller than the ones I already have.

Do you think that will be a problem?

Here are some pics.

480198C9-B6D9-472A-B2BC-DF7BF6DCF19F_zps

C6C4AC1D-8A9C-441F-B3CC-69221BAD31A7_zps

ED56C9A5-7167-4321-AE9C-3A8D7108AC07_zps

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone here is one of my sexies hanging out with our emerald crab:

image_zpsfcn9l3w6.jpeg

Out of all our CUC these have to be my favourite. They're still super tiny at the moment but so entertaining to watch. This thread has been really helpful for this newbie! We currently have 2 (LFS only had 2 when we went in) so as soon as I can get back I think I might pick another up to make 3. Mine seem to be happily picking up algae pellets up off the rock but I might have a go at spot feeding them tomorrow! I thought the emerald would bother them while feeding but they don't seem remotely bothered by him :)

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm planning on putting a few of these little sexy buggers in my 13litre Pico with zoas and a pompom crab... does that seem like a good idea?? I've read a lot in this thread about them nomming on Zoas. Are there a better type of coral for a tiny lil Pico that will get along well with these ridiculous sexy shrimp? And any type of clean-up-crew members i should be avoiding to keep with them??

I'm planning on putting a few of these little sexy buggers in my 13litre Pico with zoas and a pompom crab... does that seem like a good idea?? I've read a lot in this thread about them nomming on Zoas. Are there a better type of coral for a tiny lil Pico that will get along well with these ridiculous sexy shrimp? And any type of clean-up-crew members i should be avoiding to keep with them??

I've kept mine with pom poms and zoas without any trouble, but as you've found out, some people have reported that sexies will eat zoas. I'd try it with just a few zoas and see how yours do. They do fine with all kinds of corals.
  • Like 1