Coral Vue Hydros

The Unofficial Sexy Shrimp Thread

Lalani

Hey everyone, I am certain this has been asked before, but I looked all over the internet and cannot find the specific answer I'm looking for. Anyway, I have a nuvo 16 with a two year old pair of occelaris clowns, one emerald crab, and two peppermint shrimp. Will I have any issues adding a group of sexy shrimp? I really like the way they look and act but I am only going to add them if it is the right environment for them. I may also be adding a goby/pistol pair at some point. Any advice leaning twords yes or no would be helpful. The tank right now is a mix of sps,Lps,zoas and softies.

I have 11 sexy now in my 8g nano tank with yellow watchman goby, pistol shrimp and small Ocellaris clownfish which is quarantined there due to some aggression from my Wyoming clowns in my other tank. I don't know about emerald crab but you should be fine. Clowns, goby, pistol shrimp, hermit crabs will all get alone with sexies just fine. If you are still concerned, add 1 to test the waters but I am pretty sure you are safe as far as comparability with your tankmates.

Although I haven't encounter any loses or predatory behavior towards sexies from my pistol shrimp, here is a link to another man's opinion http://piratefx.hubpages.com/hub/Sexy-Shrimp-And-Pistol-Shrimp

Hey thanks for the reply. I think I may try a group of them. Any suggestions on the how many would be good for this tank size?
They produce very little bio load so get as many as your heart desires. I like them in larger groups since they do disappear in larger tanks.Even in my 8g tank I see only a handful at the time. They do come out in large number at coral feeding time tho.

By the way, there are hundreds of pistol shrimp species out there but only a dozen or so found its way in the trade. Pick one of the smaller species. Those usually grow up to an inch or inch and a half at the most.. My is red pistol for exemple and is about an inch in size.

Just some of gobies that will pair with pistol shrimp:

Yasha Goby

Diamond Watchman Goby

Yellow Watchman Goby

Hi-Fin Red Banded Goby

Dracula Goby

Diagonal Bar Prawn Goby

Orange Spotted Goby

Pink Spotted Watchman Goby

Randall's Shrimp Goby

Tiger Watchman Goby

Wheeler's Watchman Goby

Pinkbar Goby

• 1 month later...

Hello, not to necro a thread or anything but...

My boyfriend recently aquired a 4 gallon Nuvo tank from a friend and wants to set up a pico reef with it. I said we should keep Sexy Shrimp in it and after showing him (and him subsequently laughing at them for a good 5 minutes.) he seems delighted by the idea.

My question is how many should I keep in there and could I put a Pom Pom Crab in with them? Or just the shrimp?

And do you think most of those will go fine with some small sexy shrimp?

Probably most are sexy safe. But do more research once you decide on goby you like to add.

obviously I can't vouch for every specie of goby as my experience is limited to just 3 kinds.

Hello, not to necro a thread or anything but... My boyfriend recently aquired a 4 gallon Nuvo tank from a friend and wants to set up a pico reef with it. I said we should keep Sexy Shrimp in it and after showing him (and him subsequently laughing at them for a good 5 minutes.) he seems delighted by the idea. My question is how many should I keep in there and could I put a Pom Pom Crab in with them? Or just the shrimp?

You can probably go up to a dozen.

• 2 weeks later...

Will bicolor pseudochromie eat sexy shrimps?

Cannot find 2 of my sexy shrimps after adding bicolor pseudochromie. Actually they were added at the same time....

Anybody?

i just joined the club, picked up my first sexy shrimp sunday and so far no one has harassed it. he's chilling by the long tentacle plate, might add two more to the 45 or any recommendations as to how many i should add?

From what I have heard royal dottybacks will go after small ornamental shrimp.

Will bicolor pseudochromie eat sexy shrimps?

Cannot find 2 of my sexy shrimps after adding bicolor pseudochromie. Actually they were added at the same time....

Anybody?

From what I have heard royal dottybacks will go after small ornamental shrimp.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, hoping someone could help me with this. So I know sexies do best in groups of 3+, but as I don't know if any of my LFS carry that many, is it possible to add them one at a time?

Finally found a male sexy to go with my 2 females. They are getting along well so far. I'm hoping this prompts the females to start producing eggs. Free fish and coral food! You can't tell too well in this pic, but they dwarf him. Of course I've had them for a year, so they had a good head start on growth. :)

Tank4-24-14023_zps03e49e16.jpg

• Like 1

Finally found a male sexy to go with my 2 females. They are getting along well so far. I'm hoping this prompts the females to start producing eggs. Free fish and coral food! You can't tell too well in this pic, but they dwarf him. Of course I've had them for a year, so they had a good head start on growth. :)

Tank4-24-14023_zps03e49e16.jpg

That's an awesome shot! :)

Also, I just witnessed my normally docile pom pom crab attempt to carry off a stomatella snail before I batted him away :wacko: I've also seen him pry at the turbo snail and cerith snails but he has less luck with those as they close up. But now I'm wondering if the future sexies will be safe around him? Please chime in if you know anything as I'd rather not have $30 worth of shrimp go down the hatch in the dead of night :scarry: