ReefCleaners.org

The Unofficial Sexy Shrimp Thread

Lalani

:huh: That one's boxy on the wrong end.

Oh wait! That's not a shrimp. It's one of these!

edit: sorry about that, just noticed and cropped it. :]

Edited by Whys
cableguy69846

Ok. I figured this would be the place to ask this. I have a 15 gallon tank with a 10 gallon sump and 2.5 gallon fuge. Here is my tank. What I am wondering is this, can I put a couple of sexy shrimp in the fuge? It will be fed from the display and be full of macro algae and have a sand bed and some rock. Or, should I not do that? Any and all help is appreciated.

...can I put a couple of sexy shrimp in the fuge?

No reason why not. I have an extra male in mine right now. You'll probably want to drop a tiny pellet of food in there every now and again tho.

cableguy69846
No reason why not. I have an extra male in mine right now. You'll probably want to drop a tiny pellet of food in there every now and again tho.

Sounds good to me. Thank you good sir. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 10 gallon with 3 Sexies. One was pretty much rescued from the LFS just yesterday. Called up around opening and there were 6 sexies. I already had a male female pair and I wanted to add 2 more females and a male so they'd keep producing fry for the tank, but when I got there I eventually spotted just one poor little guy cowering among the equipment near the surface. Turns out something was eating them! They think it was the Horned Blenny. So now he's safe and happy with my 2 bigger sexies and they all hang out together.

So never try keeping a Horned Blenny with your sexies!

I added a large mound of Eagle Eye zoos 3 weeks ago and surprisingly my sexies haven't gnawed down the skirts by now. If anything they clean my corals and the tank looks healthier for it. They must be eating whatever the fish are eating between meals because the Green Banded Goby and the Jaguar Goby are staying fat between feedings and I only feed the tank roughly every other day.

I just lost my Yellow Clown Goby today. Poor little Mikey got his head stuck in a AquaClear Powerhead... The air tube hole above the outtake wasn't plugged so just keep that hole plugged... It could suck in one of my sexies just as easily as it did Mikey. The tank is probably a whole lot cleaner without him, even spot feeding a lot missed his mouth and he only ate tiny prawn eggs. I'm probably never going over my 3 fish limit so now I'm wondering what to replace him with.

One thought is Barnacle Blenny, but can a fully grown barnacle blenny hurt sexies? Too active for a 10 gallon.

But another of the very few logical choices I can make for a 10 gallon with 2 tiny fish is a Stonogobiops type Shrimp Goby, but I'm wondering about the Pistol Shrimp with the Sexy Shrimp.

I read on this thread about certain species being better than others so I'm asking, can Randalli be trusted with sexies?

Tigers trouble me and there's another species that's larger than Randalli that's supposed to be good with sexies, but for my little 10 gallon with 2 boxer crabs and 2 small gobies I want a smaller species.

There's also only up to 1 ½” – 2” of sand mix so it really does need to be one of the smaller pistols.

Edited by Goby Angyl

Do you think that a simple 5 gallon tank with maybe 2 small pieces of live rock and 1 maxi mini/mini mini carpet anemone would be suitable to breed these little guy's?

I really loved my secy shrimp that I used to have, unfortunately they didn't survive my tank move

My wife absolutely LOVES sexy shrimp, of all the stuff I had in my reef tank those little guys interested her the most and they made her smile everyday because she loved watching them move around and "shake there booty" as she would say

jedimasterben
Do you think that a simple 5 gallon tank with maybe 2 small pieces of live rock and 1 maxi mini/mini mini carpet anemone would be suitable to breed these little guy's?

I really loved my secy shrimp that I used to have, unfortunately they didn't survive my tank move

My wife absolutely LOVES sexy shrimp, of all the stuff I had in my reef tank those little guys interested her the most and they made her smile everyday because she loved watching them move around and "shake there booty" as she would say

FYI, breeding them is not simple at all. There are a few on NR that have done it, but none successfully, if I remember correctly.

I have a 10 gallon with 3 Sexies. One was pretty much rescued from the LFS just yesterday. Called up around opening and there were 6 sexies. I already had a male female pair and I wanted to add 2 more females and a male so they'd keep producing fry for the tank, but when I got there I eventually spotted just one poor little guy cowering among the equipment near the surface. Turns out something was eating them! They think it was the Horned Blenny. So now he's safe and happy with my 2 bigger sexies and they all hang out together.

So never try keeping a Horned Blenny with your sexies!

I added a large mound of Eagle Eye zoos 3 weeks ago and surprisingly my sexies haven't gnawed down the skirts by now. If anything they clean my corals and the tank looks healthier for it. They must be eating whatever the fish are eating between meals because the Green Banded Goby and the Jaguar Goby are staying fat between feedings and I only feed the tank roughly every other day.

I just lost my Yellow Clown Goby today. Poor little Mikey got his head stuck in a AquaClear Powerhead... The air tube hole above the outtake wasn't plugged so just keep that hole plugged... If it could sucked in one of my sexies just as easily as it did Mikey. The tank is probably a whole lot cleaner without him, even spot feeding a lot missed his mouth and he only ate tiny prawn eggs. I'm probably never going over my 3 fish limit so now I'm wondering what to replace him with.

One thought is Barnacle Blenny, but can a fully grown barnacle blenny hurt sexies?

But another of the very few logical choices I can make for a 10 gallon with 2 tiny fish is a Stonogobiops type Shrimp Goby, but I'm wondering about the Pistol Shrimp with the Sexy Shrimp.

I read on this thread about certain species being better than others so I'm asking, can Randalli be trusted with sexies?

Tigers trouble me and there's another species that's larger than Randalli that's supposed to be good with sexies, but for my little 10 gallon with 2 boxer crabs and 2 small gobies I want a smaller species.

There's also only up to 1 ½” – 2” of sand mix so it really does need to be one of the smaller pistols.

I have a starry blenny in my tank as they have always been one of my favorite blennies, Now I dont know if this is normal for all of them or just mine but I have had this guy about 6 months now and he is SUPER SUPER SUPER SHY, He eats well and will let me target feed him with a small type turkey baster but anytime I get within 10 feet of the tank he darts behind the rockwork and hides until I leave the room...So I only get to see him as he is swimming to the back of the tank LOL

Even when I spot feed him all I see is his head, he pokes his head out and sucks down the food but he never comes out to eat, although I will admit he has helped with the tiny bit of hair algae I had in the tank that came in on a stupid turbo snail whose shell has 3/4" strands of hair algae on it LOL

I names the snail harry but now he looks more like a marine with his hair cut "high and tight" LOL

Maybe give a starry blenny a shot

FYI, breeding them is not simple at all. There are a few on NR that have done it, but none successfully, if I remember correctly.

My female Sexy came in with eggs. When they hatched, it was chow time. It's why I'm looking to get maybe a couple more females, so they'll hatch live food for the tank from time to time just like my boxer crabs are doing.

I have a starry blenny in my tank as they have always been one of my favorite blennies, Now I dont know if this is normal for all of them or just mine but I have had this guy about 6 months now and he is SUPER SUPER SUPER SHY, He eats well and will let me target feed him with a small type turkey baster but anytime I get within 10 feet of the tank he darts behind the rockwork and hides until I leave the room...So I only get to see him as he is swimming to the back of the tank LOL

Even when I spot feed him all I see is his head, he pokes his head out and sucks down the food but he never comes out to eat, although I will admit he has helped with the tiny bit of hair algae I had in the tank that came in on a stupid turbo snail whose shell has 3/4" strands of hair algae on it LOL

I names the snail harry but now he looks more like a marine with his hair cut "high and tight" LOL

Maybe give a starry blenny a shot

The only reason I ever get to see the Jaguar Goby is I target feed him AND the Green-Banded Goby makes him feel safe, like Raphael is out in the open so everything must be fine. He started coming out more after I added the green so maybe look at his tank mates and look for a fish that might make him feel safer. He's still a little skittish, but how many people out there have a jaguar goby who comes up to the glass to beg and give puppy eyes?

Maybe I have the wrong fish, but the Starry Blenny I found grows to over 5" and I'm not sticking anything over 2 1/2" in my tiny 10 gallon... It's not fair to the animal. And big slow fish produce lots of waste too. The Green-Banded Goby is under 1 3/4" and he's often running up and down the glass because he's too energetic for a 10 gallon, but everyone and their mother recommends them for tiny tanks! I'm no longer considering Barnacle Blennies for similar reasons. Also there's barely any algae unless you include film algae. I can't keep a herbivorous blenny and some of the generally gentle blennies will make an exception and hassle small gobies like my little green and jag.

At this point I'm thinking of just biting the bullet and testing a Blue Neon or close relative. Some are more tolerant of similar species than others. I already know personally that red headed gobies are one of the less tolerant species and I'm worried that I'll make that mistake again. I had to give that fish away to save the jag. With neon relatives it can boil down to the individual and my guys will get the bleep kicked out of them if I make a wrong choice. The green is all bark when he's strutting and the jag is a total wimp.

Edited by Goby Angyl

I just got my first sexies yesterday! I only got two so I will need to pick up another. One of them seems quite bold while the other disappears for long periods of time. Their first day was stressful when a damsel became quite territorial and nipped at all inverts who got within a few inches of her cave. The damsel was too much anyway so she went back to the LFS. I didn't realize sexies may munch on coral but since I feed every day, I am not worried. Thus far, they have chosen to hang out on the finger-leather rather than the rics.

This is not a great pic but here they are!

sexy_shrimp1.bmp

Here is a better picture, taken a day later -- they've migrated down to the rics and duncan :).

sexy_shrimp2.bmp

Edited by msscha
northeastern

gah this makes me want mine back! I'm pretty sure my geometric pygmy hawk picked mine off slowly during their molts. it went 3 to 2 to 1 to none over a month ..... I'm pretty upset by it still.

I miss them i think they were the most entertaining thing I had.

Just got 4 sexies. Was going to buy 3, as heard best kept in odd numbers, but LFS had 4 left and said they'd give me the 4th half price so he wouldn't be left alone. Acclimated them and added to tank last night. They ended up pairing off. Two are hanging out on a large clump of pulsing xenia and two are hanging out on my only maxi-mini. I didn't think to buy any special food for them. I have some tiny pellets. I have Formula Two flakes and small pellets. Will they eat either of these?

Just got 4 sexies. Was going to buy 3, as heard best kept in odd numbers, but LFS had 4 left and said they'd give me the 4th half price so he wouldn't be left alone. Acclimated them and added to tank last night. They ended up pairing off. Two are hanging out on a large clump of pulsing xenia and two are hanging out on my only maxi-mini. I didn't think to buy any special food for them. I have some tiny pellets. I have Formula Two flakes and small pellets. Will they eat either of these?

According to this link and liveaquaria, they will eat both flakes and pellets, though supplementing with something meatier would also be a good idea (e.g., frozen mysis or brine shrimp). The other rec I've seen is to feed them a bit each day so they don't start chewing on coral. There's an interesting mini-experiment that first link discusses where they set up 4 different tanks and 3 different feeding schedules. A tank that included coral AND where sexies got fed everyday was the tank they thrived in best. The tank with lots of coral and a light feeding schedule ended up having corals getting munched and the sexies just didn't thrive in the two tanks with nothing but rock or rock+ fish, even with a daily feeding regimen.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think I'm going to be a Tank-Ma!

Thought I had two male sexies, but looked at them next to each other today, and dang if one didn't look considerably fatter than the other (see shrimp in back)!

sexy_shrimp7.bmp

I took a couple of close up -- the first is skinny belly, who I am assuming is "daddy"

sexy_shrimp_daddy.bmp

Then here's is big belly shrimp, who I think is "mama" -- in the second picture, it looks like there are eggs!

sexy_shrimp_bigbelly.bmp

sexy_shrimp_eggs.bmp

SalinityJones

Yes, msscha, I think you are going to need a hundred little cigars....My sexy looked like that just before she went POP! She looked a little less translucent orange and had the extra business underneath. She got very zippy just before. She waited for the lights to go out, then launched like a 4th of July cracker. It's really something to see.

A general question for all: Would sexies do ok with a Tail Spot Blenny? I'm thinking of adding the blenny to my 15 gal reef which has 3 sexies (as well as a false percula, cleaner shrimp and a zebra leg hermit crab).

Edited by SalinityJones