Cultivated Reef

The Unofficial Sexy Shrimp Thread

Lalani

I'm rather fond of the 10g for larvae this small. I can point you to a good jug to use if you're interested.

Thanks for the advice, but why would a 20 long not be a better choice?

The larvae will only ever live in the sectioned off area (in the circular jug).

It is the same area of space as a 10 gallon, but I get more room for equipment.

-Wizzy :happy:

Thanks for the advice, but why would a 20 long not be a better choice?

The larvae will only ever live in the sectioned off area (in the circular jug).

It is the same area of space as a 10 gallon, but I get more room for equipment.

-Wizzy :happy:

Sounds good. Can't wait to see it. :)

i figured this was a good place to ask this, are there any sexy breeders on the forum, i wanted to buy a few but i don't know what a good price is and i would rather buy directly from a breeder than someone who nabbed them off a reef.

I have a 1 gallon hex reef im putting together and it was suggested to me i make it a sexy home! so im going to make it a mini sexy biotope.

Edited by Fearlessmoto
  • 2 weeks later...

Found a place to purchase some sexy's for only $10!!! I'm planning on adding around 5 or 7. Here is the current tank they'll be going in.

34g cube

clownfish

leopard wrasse

yellow watchmen/tiger pistol shrimp

cleaner shrimp

I recently bought some sexy shrimp from liveaquaria for my breeding project. You never know exactly what you're gonna get, so I ended up with 3 small males that were less viable for breeding than a couple others, and I put them in the display tank instead of the breeder.

The last time I visited my lfs, looking for sexies, he mentioned that a lot of shrimp can change sex when needed. I had never witnessed anything like that with sexies before, so while I assumed it was likely true, I figured they must have a fairly early point-of-no-return.

Well over the last few weeks, I've watched as one of the small males in the display has rediscovered herself. The transformation is complete and I expect to see her pregnant any day now.

Fun stuff. :)

• 3 weeks later...
northeastern

MY SEXIES ARE GONE! oh man... I started with 3 for about 4 months, then 1 disappeared. now 2 months later the other two are gone!

In my tank I have a baby geometric pygmy hawk fish. I know probably the culprit! But I just don't see it. He wasn't even twice the size of the sexies and can barely eat big mysis. I've watched him eat and no way he could fit the torso of a sexy in his mouth.

A small O'clown. He's maybe an inch. I doubt he would do it.

A fire shrimp. I could see him doing it. He's a hog when it comes to food. But would he be able to catch them? My lfs said he'd leave them alone.

A pompom crab. the thing is a devil but it never bothered the sexies.

And that's it.... No idea where my little guys went. Pretty upset about it to be honest.

jedimasterben
MY SEXIES ARE GONE! oh man... I started with 3 for about 4 months, then 1 disappeared. now 2 months later the other two are gone!

In my tank I have a baby geometric pygmy hawk fish. I know probably the culprit! But I just don't see it. He wasn't even twice the size of the sexies and can barely eat big mysis. I've watched him eat and no way he could fit the torso of a sexy in his mouth.

A fire shrimp. I could see him doing it. He's a hog when it comes to food. But would he be able to catch them? My lfs said he'd leave them alone.

And that's it.... No idea where my little guys went. Pretty upset about it to be honest.

You sure they're gone? When I first dropped mine in, they lodged themselves deep in the live rock and I didn't see them again til I gave them their own anemone that they wouldn't have to share with a clown.

Heck, my pompom crabs just showed their faces today after disappearing for two weeks!

Also, on a lighter note, where did you get an Irish clown? B)

MY SEXIES ARE GONE! oh man...

I have 3 Sexies in ~40g display with 1 Blood shrimp (they are total hogs), 1 Pom-Pom crab, and an O'clown just a little bigger than that. They've never bothered any of the Sexies. Not once.

Hi All

I have what seems to be a problem with amphipods damaging zoanthids. I know it is controversial but it gives me the impression that just when I started to see one of my zoas colonies closing more than usual and some polyps getting dark, I saw a bunch of little bugs (flea-looking) and some a little bigger (rice size). I know they are pods now.

I have 3 great sexy shrimps in my pico tank (2 g) with another couple hermit crabs. Do you think they would help in controlling the pod population or I should probably think about getting some other shrimp?

I do not have fish in the tank and I am not planning to... too small.

Thanks for your help guys.

jedimasterben
Hi All

I have what seems to be a problem with amphipods damaging zoanthids. I know it is controversial but it gives me the impression that just when I started to see one of my zoas colonies closing more than usual and some polyps getting dark, I saw a bunch of little bugs (flea-looking) and some a little bigger (rice size). I know they are pods now.

I have 3 great sexy shrimps in my pico tank (2 g) with another couple hermit crabs. Do you think they would help in controlling the pod population or I should probably think about getting some other shrimp?

I do not have fish in the tank and I am not planning to... too small.

Thanks for your help guys.

Borrow a baby mandarin for one day, you'll never see another pod again!

• 2 weeks later...
ShrimpyPooh

hey guys, just found this site, its great. i have a pair of female sexy shrimp and im currently considering whether or not to get a male and try breeding them.

post-73309-1332044821_thumb.jpg

Edited by ShrimpyPooh
ShrimpyPooh

just picked up a male sexy shrimp and he is incredibly tiny, hes still a baby!. hes like the size of a brine shrimp. hes goin in the tank that has a mandrin in it. im hoping that the mandrin doesnt mistake him for a brine since hes so small!. wish me luck.

Hi, everybody! I just got three Sexy Shrimp yesterday from my LFS in Minneapolis. I am a puppeteer/fish trainer by profession ( http://www.smartsmallfry.com/ , http://www.youtube.com/user/pupteer ). I plan to train my li'l Sexies to queue up for line dancing! I need to acquire a few more, though; I have them in a 15 gallon tank with nothing else but volcano shrimp and amphipods. Right now my shrimp are probably only 1/4" long. They're three little stars in a big universe!

What's the very best source for Sexy Shrimp online? I know Live Aquaria has them. Anybody have a favorite online reef store?

Also, any tips for photographing/videoing these little guys? My camera doesn't want to focus on them!

post-73465-1332694091_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just for fun...

Video:

The magnification is the same at the beginning of both videos.

Video:

22 days is as far as I've gotten. I need to reach day 26 to settle and cue the larvae into miniature shrimp.

Wish me luck! :)

• 3 weeks later...
ShrimpyPooh

great news. one of my females has eggs! and im not sure but my other girl looks like she might have some as well still not sure though on that one. didnt think id be getting any babies this soon my male is still terribly tiny!. got my fry tank set up, should be a couple more weeks before they hatch. will keep u all informed wish me luck.

jedimasterben
great news. one of my females has eggs! and im not sure but my other girl looks like she might have some as well still not sure though on that one. didnt think id be getting any babies this soon my male is still terribly tiny!. got my fry tank set up, should be a couple more weeks before they hatch. will keep u all informed wish me luck.

Unfortunately they will almost certainly be simply coral/fish food. :/

Live the dream... B)

preggers.jpg

Avoid the nightmare... :o

the_beautiful.jpg

Totally worth it. Good luck! :)

ShrimpyPooh
Unfortunately they will almost certainly be simply coral/fish food. :/

and i thought i was negative!. i realize most will die especially since this is my first time trying but im gonna have to be a little more positive then u here :)