1854 replies to this topic

Wizzy

Wizzy

Cool Beans Reefer

• Members
  • 1,287 posts
  • Joined 21 Jun 2011
  • California, USA

I'm rather fond of the 10g for larvae this small. I can point you to a good jug to use if you're interested.

Thanks for the advice, but why would a 20 long not be a better choice?

The larvae will only ever live in the sectioned off area (in the circular jug).

It is the same area of space as a 10 gallon, but I get more room for equipment.

-Wizzy :happy:

Whys

Whys

Between the Lines

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  • Joined 17 Feb 2011

Thanks for the advice, but why would a 20 long not be a better choice?

The larvae will only ever live in the sectioned off area (in the circular jug).

It is the same area of space as a 10 gallon, but I get more room for equipment.

-Wizzy :happy:

Sounds good. Can't wait to see it. :)

Reef Tinkers -- premier Sexy shrimp breeding tutorial, mentoring, and more.  ;) 

Fearlessmoto

Fearlessmoto

Fearlessmoto

• Members
  • 258 posts
  • Joined 24 Dec 2011
  • Saranac, NY
i figured this was a good place to ask this, are there any sexy breeders on the forum, i wanted to buy a few but i don't know what a good price is and i would rather buy directly from a breeder than someone who nabbed them off a reef.

I have a 1 gallon hex reef im putting together and it was suggested to me i make it a sexy home! so im going to make it a mini sexy biotope.

Edited by Fearlessmoto, 24 January 2012 - 03:47 AM.

Remember if you drop the grenade and throw the pin, your drill instructor will make you do
push-ups for the next 10 hours to make up for his missing eyebrows. ;-)

Links to my tank Threads

My 10.2gallon tank Journal
http://www.nano-reef...howtopic=291561

Fearless 2.5gallon Sexytope!
http://www.nano-reef.....essmoto's 20L

SoFit

SoFit

235hp Fit

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Joined 31 Dec 2011
  • Socal
I just picked up 3 sexies and was wondering how should I feed tem? Pumps on or off? I have a 3G picotope with an ac70 with almost full blast now 85%..

Lalani

Lalani

Wait... what?

• Moderators
  • 27,291 posts
  • Joined 01 Mar 2007
  • Louisiana
http://www.nano-reef...?...t&p=1558115

:)

20L

KCP - Canon 550D - Canon 28-135mm - Canon 100mm macro - Canon 50mm - Sigma 10-20mm - Flickr

Oh and everybody is a dick here except Lani. She is an evil genius which is different.

DON'T TALK ABOUT LALANI LIKE THAT!  :angry:

Etphi

Etphi

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • Joined 07 Sep 2010
Found a place to purchase some sexy's for only $10!!! I'm planning on adding around 5 or 7. Here is the current tank they'll be going in.

34g cube
clownfish
leopard wrasse
yellow watchmen/tiger pistol shrimp
cleaner shrimp

Whys

Whys

Between the Lines

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  • Joined 17 Feb 2011
I recently bought some sexy shrimp from liveaquaria for my breeding project. You never know exactly what you're gonna get, so I ended up with 3 small males that were less viable for breeding than a couple others, and I put them in the display tank instead of the breeder.

The last time I visited my lfs, looking for sexies, he mentioned that a lot of shrimp can change sex when needed. I had never witnessed anything like that with sexies before, so while I assumed it was likely true, I figured they must have a fairly early point-of-no-return.

Well over the last few weeks, I've watched as one of the small males in the display has rediscovered herself. The transformation is complete and I expect to see her pregnant any day now.

Fun stuff. :)

northeastern

northeastern

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • Joined 29 Jul 2011
MY SEXIES ARE GONE! oh man... I started with 3 for about 4 months, then 1 disappeared. now 2 months later the other two are gone!

In my tank I have a baby geometric pygmy hawk fish. I know probably the culprit! But I just don't see it. He wasn't even twice the size of the sexies and can barely eat big mysis. I've watched him eat and no way he could fit the torso of a sexy in his mouth.

A small O'clown. He's maybe an inch. I doubt he would do it.

A fire shrimp. I could see him doing it. He's a hog when it comes to food. But would he be able to catch them? My lfs said he'd leave them alone.

A pompom crab. the thing is a devil but it never bothered the sexies.

And that's it.... No idea where my little guys went. Pretty upset about it to be honest.

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

LED world domination!

• Premium Members
  • 20,207 posts
  • Joined 18 Jan 2012
  • Okeechobee, FL

MY SEXIES ARE GONE! oh man... I started with 3 for about 4 months, then 1 disappeared. now 2 months later the other two are gone!

In my tank I have a baby geometric pygmy hawk fish. I know probably the culprit! But I just don't see it. He wasn't even twice the size of the sexies and can barely eat big mysis. I've watched him eat and no way he could fit the torso of a sexy in his mouth.

A fire shrimp. I could see him doing it. He's a hog when it comes to food. But would he be able to catch them? My lfs said he'd leave them alone.

And that's it.... No idea where my little guys went. Pretty upset about it to be honest.

You sure they're gone? When I first dropped mine in, they lodged themselves deep in the live rock and I didn't see them again til I gave them their own anemone that they wouldn't have to share with a clown.

Heck, my pompom crabs just showed their faces today after disappearing for two weeks!

Also, on a lighter note, where did you get an Irish clown? B)

Whys

Whys

Between the Lines

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  • Joined 17 Feb 2011

MY SEXIES ARE GONE! oh man...

I have 3 Sexies in ~40g display with 1 Blood shrimp (they are total hogs), 1 Pom-Pom crab, and an O'clown just a little bigger than that. They've never bothered any of the Sexies. Not once.

manolo

manolo

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Joined 13 Jan 2012
Hi All

I have what seems to be a problem with amphipods damaging zoanthids. I know it is controversial but it gives me the impression that just when I started to see one of my zoas colonies closing more than usual and some polyps getting dark, I saw a bunch of little bugs (flea-looking) and some a little bigger (rice size). I know they are pods now.

I have 3 great sexy shrimps in my pico tank (2 g) with another couple hermit crabs. Do you think they would help in controlling the pod population or I should probably think about getting some other shrimp?

I do not have fish in the tank and I am not planning to... too small.

Thanks for your help guys.

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

LED world domination!

• Premium Members
  • 20,207 posts
  • Joined 18 Jan 2012
  • Okeechobee, FL

Hi All

I have what seems to be a problem with amphipods damaging zoanthids. I know it is controversial but it gives me the impression that just when I started to see one of my zoas colonies closing more than usual and some polyps getting dark, I saw a bunch of little bugs (flea-looking) and some a little bigger (rice size). I know they are pods now.

I have 3 great sexy shrimps in my pico tank (2 g) with another couple hermit crabs. Do you think they would help in controlling the pod population or I should probably think about getting some other shrimp?

I do not have fish in the tank and I am not planning to... too small.

Thanks for your help guys.

Borrow a baby mandarin for one day, you'll never see another pod again!

Lalani

Lalani

Wait... what?

• Moderators
  • 27,291 posts
  • Joined 01 Mar 2007
  • Louisiana

Borrow a baby mandarin for one day, you'll never see another pod again!

Bad. No. :slap:

20L

KCP - Canon 550D - Canon 28-135mm - Canon 100mm macro - Canon 50mm - Sigma 10-20mm - Flickr

Oh and everybody is a dick here except Lani. She is an evil genius which is different.

ShrimpyPooh

ShrimpyPooh

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Joined 17 Mar 2012
hey guys, just found this site, its great. i have a pair of female sexy shrimp and im currently considering whether or not to get a male and try breeding them.

Attached Thumbnails

• 0122021645.jpg

Edited by ShrimpyPooh, 17 March 2012 - 08:29 PM.

ShrimpyPooh

ShrimpyPooh

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Joined 17 Mar 2012
just picked up a male sexy shrimp and he is incredibly tiny, hes still a baby!. hes like the size of a brine shrimp. hes goin in the tank that has a mandrin in it. im hoping that the mandrin doesnt mistake him for a brine since hes so small!. wish me luck.

Lalani

Lalani

Wait... what?

• Moderators
  • 27,291 posts
  • Joined 01 Mar 2007
  • Louisiana
:scarry:

20L

fishteer

fishteer

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 25 Mar 2012
Hi, everybody! I just got three Sexy Shrimp yesterday from my LFS in Minneapolis. I am a puppeteer/fish trainer by profession ( http://www.smartsmallfry.com/ , http://www.youtube.com/user/pupteer ). I plan to train my li'l Sexies to queue up for line dancing! I need to acquire a few more, though; I have them in a 15 gallon tank with nothing else but volcano shrimp and amphipods. Right now my shrimp are probably only 1/4" long. They're three little stars in a big universe!

What's the very best source for Sexy Shrimp online? I know Live Aquaria has them. Anybody have a favorite online reef store?

Also, any tips for photographing/videoing these little guys? My camera doesn't want to focus on them!

Sexy_shrimp4.jpg

gimptastic matt

gimptastic matt

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • Joined 11 Mar 2012
  • north wales uk
Heres my sexy pair
bigger female tiny male B)
2012_04_01_17.43.36.jpg
my dymax iq3 2 gallon pico reef
http://www.nano-reef...howtopic=297163

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

LED world domination!

• Premium Members
  • 20,207 posts
  • Joined 18 Jan 2012
  • Okeechobee, FL

...I am a puppeteer/fish trainer by profession...

wat.

Jacobnano

Jacobnano

The Middlebury College Reefer

• Members
  • 12,050 posts
  • Joined 13 Apr 2009
  • Yakima, Washington.
Posted Image
Sexy Shrimp by Jacob-Reef, on Flickr

Whys

Whys

Between the Lines

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  • Joined 17 Feb 2011
Just for fun...

Video: Baby Sexy Shrimp (0 days old)

The magnification is the same at the beginning of both videos.

Video: Baby Sexy Shrimp (22 days old)

22 days is as far as I've gotten. I need to reach day 26 to settle and cue the larvae into miniature shrimp.

Wish me luck! :)

ShrimpyPooh

ShrimpyPooh

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Joined 17 Mar 2012
great news. one of my females has eggs! and im not sure but my other girl looks like she might have some as well still not sure though on that one. didnt think id be getting any babies this soon my male is still terribly tiny!. got my fry tank set up, should be a couple more weeks before they hatch. will keep u all informed wish me luck.

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

LED world domination!

• Premium Members
  • 20,207 posts
  • Joined 18 Jan 2012
  • Okeechobee, FL

great news. one of my females has eggs! and im not sure but my other girl looks like she might have some as well still not sure though on that one. didnt think id be getting any babies this soon my male is still terribly tiny!. got my fry tank set up, should be a couple more weeks before they hatch. will keep u all informed wish me luck.

Unfortunately they will almost certainly be simply coral/fish food. :/

Whys

Whys

Between the Lines

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  • Joined 17 Feb 2011

Live the dream... B)

Posted Image

Avoid the nightmare... :o

Posted Image

Totally worth it. Good luck! :)

ShrimpyPooh

ShrimpyPooh

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Joined 17 Mar 2012

Unfortunately they will almost certainly be simply coral/fish food. :/

and i thought i was negative!. i realize most will die especially since this is my first time trying but im gonna have to be a little more positive then u here :)